Author Topic: Books you've read that you think would make good films  (Read 4648 times)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Books you've read that you think would make good films
« on: September 29, 2009, 12:57:02 PM »
No account should be taken of how complicated they would be to make or how costly etc etc.
Purely list them on their merits not how possible it would be to do.

Tom sharp  -  Riotus assembly.  
A black comedy book (no pun intended) about the appartide South African Police. Had me in stitches all the way through it.

Tom Clancy - Red Storm Rising.
A 1980's book about a 3rd world war. (written before the fall of the Berlin wall).  Would be a complete knightmare to film for a number of reasons but if done well i think it would be the war film to end all war films.

David Eddings - The Tamuli trilogy.
Good old fashioned sword and scorcery. I love all 6 Sparhawk books. They appeal to the fantasy adventurous little boy inside of me.  :P

David Eddings - Belgareth the sorcerer.
As above good old fashioned S&S.  ;D

These are in no particular order though given a choice i'd put Red Storm Rising first on my list. There are loads of others that i will mull over and add as i think of them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 02:05:15 PM by Macrune »
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Books you've read that you think would make good films
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 01:16:18 PM »
belgareth was edding also i think

gemmell did legend.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:20:09 PM by Keggi »

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:04:23 PM »
I stand corrected. your right. They are in my loft not on my bookshelf along with all the Druss and waylander etc .
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Offline Kathras

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 08:41:04 PM »
Dan Simmons - Ilium and Olympos - sci-fi

Douglas Adams - Damn near anything.

William Gibson - bridge trilogy

Arthur C. Clarke - Rama series - this guy shits out better sci-fi then most people could sell their souls for

Weis and Hickman - Death Gate Cycle - high fantasy

Bird, Klein, and Loper - Natural Language Processing with Python - technical; a compelling story about the trials and tribulations of one programming languages drive to bridge the gap of communication between man and machine.  A real page turner.

"Uncompromising men are easy to admire." - fictional character

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 09:23:41 PM »
Dan Simmons - Ilium and Olympos - sci-fi

Douglas Adams - Damn near anything.

William Gibson - bridge trilogy

Arthur C. Clarke - Rama series - this guy shits out better sci-fi then most people could sell their souls for

Weis and Hickman - Death Gate Cycle - high fantasy

Bird, Klein, and Loper - Natural Language Processing with Python - technical; a compelling story about the trials and tribulations of one programming languages drive to bridge the gap of communication between man and machine.  A real page turner.

hehe weis and hickman i also have read most of there work fizban/zifnab hehe.

would have liked gemmell's legend turned into a movie could have had connery as druss 10 years or so ago.

Offline Ferrosol

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »
Anything by Terry Pratchett, Providing it doesn't happen like the attempt to film Mort was... (we really like the story but can you remove DEATH because he wont play well in America ::))

Eve Online: Sybil Tanitha
Eve Online Jennifer Ammant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:17:34 AM »
Currently reading the last few (printed not final (i hope)) books in the Recluse saga by L.E.Modesit Jr. fantastic books ,well written would make awesome movies yet will never be, too intelligent for an American cinema going market methinks.

*modified spelling issues*
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:59:39 PM by Caradir »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:26:04 AM »
scary how much sense you make here btw, considering your other posts  ;D
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 11:49:59 AM »
Anything by Terry Pratchett, Providing it doesn't happen like the attempt to film Mort was... (we really like the story but can you remove DEATH because he wont play well in America ::))

Im not so sure.  They have Achmed the dead terrorist already and thats half way there.. You might just be supprised by our colonial friends across the pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go  ................ to see what i mean..