Author Topic: Sometimes the urge to strangle a sibling is almost overwhelming!!  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
My Brother is an IT geek for a medium sized Broker in London. He has recently landed the Head of the IT Department job as his former boss is retiring at the end of August. (His former boss is 46...yes thats 46 and he's retiring. Its obscene how much some of these people get paid).

Anyhow as part of his shiney new roll he was informed that he could order himself a shiney new laptop to his own spec to 'help' him fullfill his new roll. He was NOT given a budget but told to either buy the bits and build one or buy one to the spec he required.

Below is the item he brought round to show me today when he visited... smug smile included  >:(

COLOUR CHOICE Alienware M17x Gaming Laptop - Nebula Red
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9100 (2.26GHz,1066MHz FSB,12MB L2 Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate SP1 (64 BIT)
GRAPHICS CARD SLI™ Dual 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M
LCD 17-inch Wide UXGA 1920 x 1200 - Beyond HD (1200p) Display
MEMORY 8192MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x4096]
HARD DRIVE 320GB (7200 RPM) Free Fall Sensor Raid 0 "Stripe" Dual HDD - (2x160GB)  
OPTICAL DRIVE Internal Blu-Ray RW (Blu-Ray, DVD and CD read & WRITE) Optical Drive with Software
PRIMARY BATTERY 9-cell 85Whr Lithium Ion battery

below  is a picture of his beast.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 05:42:08 PM by Macrune »
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes the urge to strangle a sibling is almost overwhelming!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 05:40:42 PM »
So, what does a toy like that go for?
Oh, and does he have a well-paying job to give away to me? ;)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »
Ive no idea what was paid for it. I've yet to be able to pursuade him to part with the info.
What i do know is that I priced up just one of the GTX280's a few month ago when i was thinking of getting one and there was no way i was paying the £300 asking price. The 280m versions are even more expensive and this machine has 2 in it so i dread to think what it cost.
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »
i remember looking at alienware laptops a whoile back got to be over a grand i reckon minimum.

laters elv

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 10:08:39 AM »
I ran the purchase tool at the Dutch Dell website and this laptop would come down to: € 5.251,99.

Enjoy.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »
I ran the purchase tool at the Dutch Dell website and this laptop would come down to: € 5.251,99.

Enjoy.

5k euro's!!

geeze i bet his firm don't know what he's got himself. no wonder he was being cryptic

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
And for that amount of money, it also breaks your back while carrying it around. That comes for free though.

I mean if you're city hopping or going to a LAN... it could come in handy, but you definitely don't want to lug those Alienwares around every day.

There really is no reason to buy them, other than burning (someone elses) money.
Having said that, I'd get one if I could. Just after getting a raging gaming beast, a ginormous desktop mac and a macbook air.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.