Author Topic: Evony  (Read 4449 times)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Evony
« on: August 20, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
Any of you guys seen this.
Its a simpler version of Age of Empires in an online multiplayer form with lots of different servers.
Its free, with no huge download and quite fun actually. A friend of mine told me about it so iVE joined, started to build a city and joined an alliance. It takes a long time to get anywhere (not nearly as long as EvE) but still quite drawn out.
In my city im currently researching archery lvl 8 (65 hrs) and building city walls lvl 8 (45hrs) . Its one of those 'do several bits , walk away and come back a few hrs later to check and do some more.

www.evony.com
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 12:52:12 PM by Macrune »
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Evony
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »
I'll take a look at this - have eRepublik & Nile Online going for browser games, another wouldnt kill me.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 01:41:53 PM »
played it when it was called civony at release very dull basic and get boring after a while. once youve maxed 3 cities ( believe i could have had more but didnt see the point) done all research all thats left to do is attack and defend all day long.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 02:02:28 PM »
played it when it was called civony at release very dull basic and get boring after a while. once youve maxed 3 cities ( believe i could have had more but didnt see the point) done all research all thats left to do is attack and defend all day long.

POS Warfare? ;)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »

Not got to the level of maxing anything yet but as im not paying for it i wont mind when it does  ;D
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:29:27 PM »
Played it a few months ago. Tends to go the way most browser games go with me: the first day(s): very exiting, sucking up every spare minute
Later building times get longer, game gets more boring
Final stage: Eh? What game?

1-2 month cycle really.

Bad thing about most browser games: miniature payments
Bad thing about Evony in particular: no end-game. Liked Travian better as it does have an end-game and something to work ahead to (and a nice time to quit: when the round ends).
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 02:23:35 PM »
Bad thing about Evony in particular: no end-game. Liked Travian better as it does have an end-game and something to work ahead to (and a nice time to quit: when the round ends).

Safs the man ;)

exactly what id say, once you have a few towns maxed out done all research the ONLY thing left to do is join some UBER alliance and engage in the boring combat the game offers where you send x troops to y and wait for the numbers to crunch after the 10 million hours travel time. Oh but thats after youve done the grind to get the medals you need for promotions which is very dull, pick a forest/hill/swamp and send in troops to take it, however dont keep it bring troops back home and repeat until you get the medals you need, or hope you get them in the daily prize box you get *yawwwnnn*
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Dlarah

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:27:10 PM »
Never tried this, but it have managed to annoy me because of the banner add showing up everywhere.
I also read that the guy behind this was also behind one of those hacks for wow and is making millions every day on goldselling.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:28 AM »
Read that it is also connected to Hamas, seems odd though but well I have no clue.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 10:30:25 AM »
so many articles on it being malware and funding dodgy organisations to being run by Chinese gold farmers, and they have been spamming forums so id say something fishy with them.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 01:20:16 PM »
exam period is here, so as study evasive behavior i am ofc trying some new browser games...

http://uk.desert-operations.com - modern day warfare. it's counter intuitive as hell and the help files suck plus it's a bit slow, but it shows some potential in good digital hack and slash.

and today i started this (loosely, dont get your hopes up) LOTR based game.  first impression is that it's rather complex, so that is good, no idea on any of the combat&diplo dynamics though... http://in8.gloryoffellowland.com/?ref_a=humnir
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166