Author Topic: HOI III  (Read 19692 times)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
HOI III
« on: May 16, 2009, 04:46:33 PM »
avail on steam from 4 th August.

Features:

Play as any nation from 1936 to 1948, more than 150 countries to choose from.
Control the oceans with aircraft carriers, submarines and battleships and use your air force to defend your skies, support your naval and ground forces, and to bomb your enemies
Thousands of historically accurate real-world military commanders and politicians.
Realistic military command AI with unprecedented levels of interaction
In-depth diplomatic and political system.
Historical accuracy combined with an unparalleled level of freedom of choice
More than 10,000 land provinces makes the game five times more detailed than HoI2 and the most detailed depiction of World War 2 ever made.
Customize your divisions in detail with more than 20 types of brigades
New economic system makes it possible to buy weapons from abroad.
Mobilization and reserves gives the option of surprise attacks, Blitzkrieg made real.
Government-in-exile makes it possible to continue to struggle from abroad with underground movements and uprisings against the oppressing power.
Strategic warfare system makes it more important to defend the skies and oceans against foreign attacks; leaving cities open to enemy bombing will now be devastating.
A completely new intelligence system, with several types of intelligence sources, makes it possible to get information about enemy reserves and troop movements.
Assign troops to "theatres" on the map to fight two-front wars more successfully.
The new AI system and more detailed map will allow for more strategic decisions.
Flexible technology system with hundreds of categories, where major powers get their own unique attributes

Oh dear guess what im going to be doing till the early hours of the morning when this comes out  ::)
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: HOI III
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
im ashamed to say ive never played any of the hearts of iron games ;S  i shall rectify this.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 05:49:11 PM »
It is looking quite nice. Hope I'll be able to buy it (ie have a job when it comes).

Offline Ferrosol

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:38:10 PM »
Is there a release date for the CD version yet?
Eve Online: Sybil Tanitha
Eve Online Jennifer Ammant

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Offline Dehn

• MAADI
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »
:)

If you wonder why I'm not online much atm, its because we're in crunch...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 12:27:28 PM »
:)

Work faster :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 02:05:10 PM »

Cool, I'll play as the Dutch and just assume we will stay neutral (harhar).
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 03:19:17 PM »
I predict you'll last 4 days. ;)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »

As long as that?  :P
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »

As long as that?  :P
10 May to 14 May 1940, to be exact :P
Edit: http://www.waroverholland.nl/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 05:57:00 PM by Gunnarr »
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »
Staying neutral was a big mistake it meant neither France nor UK could move troops / air cover  : i guess those who sit on the fence too long get trashed when the bulldozers arrive.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 11:52:28 AM »
Not entirely true:

The Dutch high command had established some informal contacts with the potential Allies in the last year before the war. From the neutral point of view official contacts had not been allowed by the Dutch Government (and according to the international law of nations). Still, contacts were established via the military attaché at the embassy in Paris. Also liaisons with the Belgians and the British had been established. Representations of the French and Belgian army had visited the Peel-Raamline in the beginning of 1940 - secretly, dressed as civilian engineers. The Dutch were also aware of the French strategy to stop the German invasion in Belgium. Not the details, but the outline of the plan had become known to the attaché in Paris.

The Allies were very confident that the Plan Von Schlieffen [WWI] would again become the basis of the German plans for a new invasion. The Maginot-line was strong enough to make a southern offensive more than unlikely. Therefore the German spearhead was expected to go through Belgium, and a side-kick was expected via the north [Holland]. The fact that the French 7th Army would march into Belgium after the first shot had been fired was well known to the Dutch ... and to the Germans too! Also, the French gave the impression that they would assist the Dutch as much as possible. This reassuring information would even get a continuation on the 10th of May when the French and Dutch Commanders-in-Chief spoke on the phone and Gamelin reassured Winkelman that his formidable 7th Army would come to aid.

The Dutch were also well aware that British assistance would be less considerable if not absent at all. The Anglo-Dutch relationship was chilly. The centuries of [trade]wars, the recent conflict in South-Afrika [1900-1901 Boer-war], the Dutch asylum to the German emperor Wilhelm II after the German capitulation in 1918 and the fact that the British navy had blockaded the Dutch waters during WWI [and sunk many Dutch merchant and fishing vessels] had not yet been forgotten. Informal Dutch attempts to tempt the British into committing themselves in sending reinforcements to the Dutch main land once the invasion would be a fact, all stranded. Compromising factor would also have been the fact that at the eve of war, at May 10, the British Prime Minister Chamberlain would abduct and be replaced by Winston Churchill. It is very likely that the latter would not have felt automatically committed to agreements that his pre-ancestor would have made. The Dutch did however rely on British sense once war would become a fact and counted on at least some support. After all, Holland was a useful buffer between the UK and Germany, especially when it came to airforce facilities and harbours which could be used by the Germans for an invasion of the UK.

And more: http://www.waroverholland.nl/index.php?page=had-it-been-worth-the-sacrifices
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 12:28:39 PM »
When you again see Dehn online more often, then you know HOI has gone gold :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:19 AM »
I have this game now :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 06:17:58 PM »
Excepting dinner and character creation on CO and a little eve ive just lost the better part of a day to this.