Author Topic: I went to Japan and all I got was a lousy 35ton Gundam Statue...  (Read 6213 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
http://mdn.mainichi.jp/photospecials/graph/gundam/

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the first broadcast of the "Mobile Suit Gundam" animated television series, an 18-meter-tall, "full scale" Gundam statue is currently being built at Shiokaze Park in Tokyo's Odaiba.

The lower half of Gundam's body, which measures about 11 meters high, has already been constructed. After other parts of the character's body are finished, including the head, arms and torso, they will all be assembled.

The completed Gundam statue is expected to weigh nearly 35 tons, move its head and emit light or mist from 50 points of its body.

The statue will be on display to the public at the park from July 11 to August 31, free of charge.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: I went to Japan and all I got was a lousy 35ton Gundam Statue...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »

Offline aeriese

• MAADI
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 08:26:48 AM »
Oh, since i'm going to japan in 2 weeks, mabye i'll just swing by this =)

any other hot tips for Tokyo?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 08:27:43 AM »

I'll speak to a buddy or two - onbe lives there, the other studied there for a year :)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 08:47:17 AM »
I like these details:

(they sure make it hard to link to foto's directly, had to use pagesource  :P)
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »

well with more Mitchelin star restaurants than any other city id say eat out :) oh and take as many bottles of nice Single Malt Scotch Whisky with you as you can Japs are very bribable with it ;D

and that statue is awesome something about giant robots makes me wetter than a schoolgirl.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 05:52:20 PM »

Could you run around Tokyo for a bit yelling 'Hido sensei, hido sensei'?
Want to know if my old foreign exchange students are still around.  ;D
Even though they all studied at Kyoto university. ::)
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:19:29 PM »

well with more Mitchelin star restaurants than any other city id say eat out :) oh and take as many bottles of nice Single Malt Scotch Whisky with you as you can Japs are very bribable with it ;D

Eat out!!  I'd check the prices if i were you. I won't frighten you with the prices there 2 years ago when i was last there but I would assume things will only be more expensive now.
One tip i would give is... Don't expect to drink to much alcohol out there. Its the most expensive place ive ever drunk . (even more expensive than Venice and copenhagen were )  ???
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:53:31 AM »
As the statue comes together, is there a young Japanese guy in a red and white uniform shouting "FORM FEET AND LEGS! FORM ARMS AND TORSO!" etc etc?
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »

Eat out!!  I'd check the prices if i were you. I won't frighten you with the prices there 2 years ago when i was last there but I would assume things will only be more expensive now.
One tip i would give is... Don't expect to drink to much alcohol out there. Its the most expensive place ive ever drunk . (even more expensive than Venice and copenhagen were )  ???

Copenhagen? Expensive drinks??? wth...
We swedes go there to by and lug carloads home since it is much cheeper than here (was before the skr dropped 50% or so in 6 months at least)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 07:17:12 PM »
Ahh but then NO-ONE in their right mind would go drinking in Sweden... unless of course they'd won the lottery or robbed a bank prior to the trip... I'm still having hypnotherapy for 2 reasons.

1. to get over the shock of the alcohol prices in stockholm and
2. to try and forget what i was silly enough to pay for a cup of coffee in St marks square in Venice the last time i was there.... :P

Its my Scottish blood. It rebels and paying more than half a crown for a wee dram  ;D
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!