Author Topic: What the Hell Did They Do to WoW?!  (Read 7025 times)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
What the Hell Did They Do to WoW?!
« on: November 24, 2011, 07:23:56 AM »
So I just checked MMO champ to find this:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/game/mists-of-pandaria/feature/talent-calculator

Now, I don't plan on playing wow again with SWTOR nearly here, but I still can't believe what they've done to the talents. Dumbed down much?

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
Re: What the Hell Did They Do to WoW?!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:41:19 AM »
It might even be a good idea, but my reaction was "I have to learn this all over again, again?"

It's been a good run, but yeah, I'm hoping Star Wars will hold my interest from now on (once I buy a new laptop that can run it).

Which kind of annoys me on a "I finally got a black dragon for my mage just in time to lose interest in the game" level.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »

Now, I don't plan on playing wow again with SWTOR nearly here, but I still can't believe what they've done to the talents. Dumbed down much?

Wow was being dumbed down from pretty much few months into BC, when the Blizz A team stopped producing the game and the money men really got involved...
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »

Wow was being dumbed down from pretty much few months into BC, when the Blizz A team stopped producing the game and the money men really got involved...

I know, but this is like really, really dumbed down. Quite sad really. The class mechanic changes are even worse. Don't want to even talk about what they've done to Pallies and Shammies :(

And lol Taith, I feel your pain.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 10:51:14 AM »
seems now they truly have given up and are just trying to make as money for as long as they can on it by reducing need for as many programmers.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 11:12:22 AM »
YO.

Been playing MoP since launch, and thought I'd share some opinions and give a little review. They're surprising!

I admit, I bought it in hope expecting it wouldn't be too much of a money sink. However, i'm impressed actually. It has none of the cute, chintsey, shitty atmosphere people were expecting. It's pretty dark. The pet battles are awesome, as are the scenarios (and the incoming brawlers guild looks good too). All serve as a nice addition to dungeons and there's always something to do whether it be solo playing or in groups.

Pandaria is truely an awesome continent! Lots of little vanilla-esque side things to do. For isntance I was flying about and saw a named elite lobster-man mob. Killed it, he dropped a weird use item and a parchment letter. the letter riddled at locations for other named lobster men. eventualyl found them, killed them, combined the items to get a meta item. followed another riddle to find a summoning locaton, killed the overlord for a blue fist weapon - Lobstmourne! Also little bits of lore items and trasures to find.

As for raids. Sadly i'm not overly impressed. they seem to favour short 6 boss raids with no depth. seems like gone are the days of getting immersed in tghe massive halls of Icecrown Citadel or corridoors of Kara etc etc. I still miss Ulduar :(

At lv90 there are lots of dailies. and i mean lots. Luckily, they all offer valor points and the rep itself allows you to buy more stuff with valour points. you dont necessrily need to do them, but can seem a bit overkill. I only do them on a weekend, and can find enough other stuff to do on en evening without needing to touch them. They serve a purpose. About it.

Professions are cool again. Overhaul to Archeology in the pandaria zone and it seems to offer more rewards now and is worth doing. Cooking is ace. you learn a sub cooking profession for your class/stat type now. you also plant your own mats (they take a day to grow) and the farming mini game is pretty cool. you can also grow crafting mats too aswell at the spirit motes (replacement for the motes of fire etc etc).

Dungeons are completely imemrsive and look fantastic. Theyve really gone all out on this. Especially Shadow Pan monastery. It's like the beginning of Batman Begins. Great stuff. theyve also tweaked the difficulty of heroics to make them more akin to WotLK than Cata, so it isnt full of twats calling each other 'tards' after few wipes.

the new talent system is very cool. It doesnt really feel dumbed down at all when playing. It is disappointing that all talents are assigned automatically (for me it feels like a bit of the RPG element has been taken away), but the talents are all completely situational and functional. you can switch them anytime you want too, so if your party needs a silence, you remove a CC talent from the same tree and replace it with a silence before a fight. It feels like every talent you chose is a decision and not just a cookie cutter thing.

Overall - it isn't perfect i admit, but the 'oh look pandas, pokemon and farmville' pre-judgers would be surprised. It definitely feels more like Wrath (maybe even TBC) than Cata and theyve put a lot of emphasis on giving players stuff to do when not raiding. The first content patch is incoming and it looks pretty good. So far I'm enjoying it and haven;t felt bored. Hopefully the faster rate of content patches Blizz have promised do deliver.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
Some good insights, thanks for sharing. I upped my vanilla + TBC account with WOTLK and CATA for cheaps during the last sale. Want to try MOP at some point once things have settled down irl.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »
Lost me at dailies.

Slavery is illegal didnt blizz get that memo?

(Literally the thing that puts me off any MMO is when devs use shit like dailies as an alternative to actual content, then again im all about player driven content these days so I may be very biased)

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
you dont need to do dailies. There is other stuff to do. the dailies basically there to give you more options if you dont want to just gear up in heroics. And every day most of the dailies are different and in different combinations too. It's not nearly as bad as the old TBC dailies, I have to admit. Some of them..dare I say it...are actually a lot of fun. It is a shame there are so many of them that it feels like thats all there is to do, but its not really the case. Ive been doing a lot of heroics. Dont need the gear, i just love the fights and the dungeons themselves

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 06:45:18 PM »
Glad you are enjoying it, but im really done with WoW, & Blizzard by extension.

EVE & PS2 give me most of what I need in MMOs, and if I get a hard on for multiplayer swords & magic & what not, I always have GW2, and if im feeling really in need of a slap, I have lotro!

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »
Slightly off topic, you getting an outfit together for PS2. Gonna be playing on NC side (as is Pidge). Also, not played the beta since before they opened up the second continent as I wanted to save it till launch. How is it progressing? It felt fairly stable when i was on it, I have to admit. Was impressed to say it was a beta

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:50:07 PM »
Im thinking about an outfit - not 100% on it yet but if I do I'll let folks here know.

game still has issues, but they are getting better.  And the 2 new continents (esamir and amerish) are mint.  Especially the latter (nice infantry and air map tbh).

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 11:41:04 AM »
So I reinstalled this to take my mind off things.

Played Panda starting island, Worgen starting zone en started a death knight.
I don't get death knights.

Panda zone is fun. Worgen is neat as well. Seems they've taken elements from Warhammer Online to make things more interesting. You get to do a bombing run off a flyng creature, mount siege machines and cannons. It's not super complicated, but it's a nice break from the kill x and get y. More of a story to it that pulls you in nicely.

You get a decent supply of bags right from the starting quests. New abilities are gained automatically and pop onto your action bar without having to train them. But apparently you still need to visit a trainer for some new stuff. Confuzzled. The last time I logged in I was confused. Now everything seemed far more fluid and natural. I'm kind of happy I don't have to worry about talent trees as I always seem to have trouble with that part of an mmo anyway. All you need to worry about now is which class you want to play, because at the end of the day faction, race, name and appearance can be changed. Sure, there are loads of cosmetics. Pets, mounts, extravagant outfits.

I dunno. Considering I was utterly confused last time I logged in, this time everything seemed to come quite naturally. Although I have no idea what an heirloom is. :D

Oh and druid travel form = reindeer with antlers. Nuff said.

I forgot how totally awesome druids are for solo play. Stealth, flying, summoning ents. Take out groups of 6 in 5 seconds. \o/
Think I'll mess around on my druid for the 7 day trial. Make some money doing quests. Then activate the 10 day Pandaria trial and try a monk.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:47:51 PM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.