Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 10269 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Recipes
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 01:04:39 PM »
love you + alcohol  :D

:-*
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 06:01:23 PM »
Yes I use lb's and ounces, but you can always convert :D

Uli Petataws (Sweet Potato Fritters)
Ingredients (makes 6)

1lb sweet potatoes
½ cup grated coconut
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons brown sugar

How to (god I miss these after a mornings trekking)

Scrub sweet potatoes, place them in a large saucepan. Cover with water and boil until soft (about 20 to 30 minutes). Drain and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle, peel and mash the potatoes in a mixing bowl. Add in coconut, vanilla, and salt and mix thoroughly. Preheat oven to 450°F. Shape about a 3rd of a cup of the potato mixture into a round pancake, put 1 teaspoon of brown sugar in the center, and roll the pancake into a cylinder about 3 inches long and 1 inch in diameter. Repeat the procedure with the remaining sweet potato mixture and brown sugar. On a lightly oiled baking sheet, bake them for 15 minutes. Serve warm with coffee or tea.

Bahasa foods like this rock - found in indonesia and malaysia.  Good for me as theres a neat little stand in Tanah Rata that does these and after some trekking one of these with a hot sugary tea is brilliant.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 09:33:15 PM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 07:24:53 AM »
Cup?? is that A? B? C? or perhaps DD?

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 07:57:28 AM »
hmm, cup is 237 ml (= 1/2 pint = 8 fluid ounces = 16 tablespoons = 48 teaspoons), so that must be about A, I guess? (if not manboob)
and ofc, 16 ounces = 1 pound ~ 454 gram

(mostly for my own reference, as these I keep losing track of those odd UK measures, I mean... what's the logic about the 16:1 thing, where inches etc. go 12:1? (and I can understand 12:1 as you can count to 12 (and 144) on your fingers, but 16???))
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 08:29:10 AM by Warcold »
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
hmm, cup is 237 ml (= 1/2 pint = 8 fluid ounces = 16 tablespoons = 48 teaspoons), so that must be about A, I guess? (if not manboob)
and ofc, 16 ounces = 1 pound ~ 454 gram

(mostly for my own reference, as these I keep losing track of those odd UK measures, I mean... what's the logic about the 16:1 thing, where inches etc. go 12:1? (and I can understand 12:1 as you can count to 12 (and 144) on your fingers, but 16???))

Why no bushels or furlongs?? (whatever those are :P)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »
Sateh
- oil
- 1/2-1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1-1 1/2 tsp of sambal (ulek, trassi, w.e.)
- 2 full tbs of peanutbutter
- 1-2 tsp of ketoembar (ground coriander seed)
- 1-2 tsp of djinten (cumin powder)
- ketjap manis
- water
- santen

rough recipe as I always just throw stuff together, making it taste different each time
fry onions, garlic and sambal in some oil till onion is soft, put heat to a minimum and add peanutbutter and a dash of ketjap, stir till it gets soft, add some water if needed, stir more
add spices and some santen (I just scrape some of the block, but let's say about half a tablespoon of grating, rather more than less), add more water, stir more
stir a last time, done

add as much water to give it the consistency of a nice thick sauce. if you added too much, just let it heat a bit more
terrific sauce to go with all sorts of snacks, but also with fries, BBQ, bread, rice-veggie-dishes and whatnot.

quite popular in holland, although most buy ready made in supermarket

the above amount is about what i make for the two of us when we eat rice-veggie
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:32:45 PM by Warcold »