Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 10273 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Recipes
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »
As promised to Bethor some months ago and to Beo last week, here is the recipe for Rendang, an Indonesian meatdish, which is my favorite food   :)
Translating to English will be a bit hard, but I'll do my best.

- 2kg of beef meat (chopped to about 1 inch blocks, mebbe wee bit smaller). Hard to find the exact translation, but I use two kinds of rib meat, the one with a streak of fat through the middle (http://www.degroenewegassen.nl/UserUpload/producten/groot_64.jpg) and the rougher, cheaper one (http://www.degroenewegassen.nl/UserUpload/producten/groot_60.jpg). About 1:1 ratio. Dictionary calls them simmer steak and stewing steak, but dont know if that is what it really is called. (For Bethor: riblappen & sucadelappen)
- 2 or 3 cans of coconut milk (or 1 block of cocostuff (santen it's called here) in 1 litre of water)
- sunflower oil
- 3 lemon leaves (djoeroek poeroet)
- 3 leaves of indonesion laurel - salam leaves they are called here, guess other laurel could be used too, but use these if you can get em
- 1 beef cube (Oxo cube, acc. to dictionary?)

the spicy bit (boemboe):
- 3 shallots (cut)
- 3 cloves of garlic (cut)
- 1.5 teaspoon of djahé (ginger root powder)
- 1.5 tsp. of laos powder (Galangal)
- 1 tsp. of  koenjit (Ground Tumeric Powder)
- 2 tsp. of sereh (lemon grass powder)
- 3 full tsp. of kemiri nut paste
- 2 full tsp. of green rawit sambal (or sambal oelek (ulek) if you cant get the first), add more to accomodate your freakish english/indian taste for lots of spice, this is how I like it
- 2 tsp of salt
-> stir around till its homogeneous-ish

put bit of oil in braising pan, and add the meat, stir till most is brownish on the outside, i never get everything, but most is ok
add cocomilk till nearly meat is submerged and put on medium heat till it's cooking
then add the spicy bit, the beef block and the leaves give it another stir or two

now most of the work is done, and waiting game has begun, put on a very low fire, so it barely boils (should bubble a bit though) and give it a stir every hour or so
you could add a bit of extra cocomilk if you think its needed, but i rarely do that, also because that will cause the sauce to be too thin to my taste.
think i let it simmer about 6 hours or so, usually the meat starts falling apart when i think it's done.

yummy!!!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:46:53 AM by Warcold »
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »
Sounds brilliant.

Thank you thank you thank you!
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
edited 2nd picture, was accidentally the same as fist one

oh, and btw, i use rather large teaspoons, so mebbe amounts mentioned are a bit low...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 11:49:55 AM by Warcold »
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:58:43 AM »
from the pictures its loks like sirloin steak and stewing steak

sounds lovely may have to give this a go ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:59:11 AM »
thanks.. trying it this week :D

lets hope this gets the meat more tender than i usually get it.
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
to get meat more tender COOK IT FOR LONGER ;) simple as that matey
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 12:04:36 PM »
would have though 4 hrs was enough, so doubt that is the problem.
I sooner suspect it is the type of meat i used.
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
nope, 4 hours isnt enough, sometimes 5 hrs isnt even enough, so go for 5-6 hours, really!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
picked this topic out of the freezer as gf and I picked up the cooking of non-regular dishes again
the last weeks saw us eating some yummy sweet tarts and some nice dinners, just now I made curry paste from scratch in preparation for a curry that we'll eat tonight
below recipe is planned for the coming week (have to admit I haven't tried it yet so far  :-[)
but ofc the resurrection of this thread is also an incentive for Mang to finally spill his other recipes he picked up in asia  ;)

So - recipe 1 is for a dish called Rhad Na/Lad Na/Rad Na/Lard nar (lot of names all mean same really)  Its basically noodles in gravy.

Transcribed from my very badly written short hand.

Chinese broccoli or broccoli, leaves separated from stalks and chopped (you can use both the stalks and leaves/heads)

2-3 TB thick black soy sauce
2 TB corn starch
1 TB salty soy beans
1/2 lb Chicken, Pork, Fried Gluten or Fried Tofu, chopped into small even pieces
Prik Nam Som (small green and red chilies chopped with garlic in vinegar)
Sen Mee Noodles - (thin dried vermicelli rice noodles) 3/4 of a package
Ground white pepper
sugar
Soy Sauce/Nam Plaa (Fish Sauce)
2 cups Water or Chicken Broth
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
vegetable oil
Directions:

Soak noodles in warm water for one hour (only if using dried noodles!), then stir-fry in hot vegetable oil in a large wok (preferably nonstick) with about 1 TB of the thick soy sauce, until sauce is evenly distributed and noodles are a medium brown color. Stir continuously and briskly while cooking to prevent sticking. Set aside.

In a separate large skillet or wok, sautee the garlic in 1-2 TB vegetable oil. Add your meat/gluten/tofu, then broccoli stalks, then the water or broth, then 1 TB black soy sauce, 1/2 TB salted soy beans, 1 TB soy sauce or fish sauce (or 1/2 TB of each) and if desired, 1/2 TB oyster sauce.

Dissolve 2 TB cornstarch in warm water, stirring well, then add to wok. Mix well. Add white pepper and a dash of sugar.

Add broccoli leaves and mix until sauce becomes thick. Serve the gravy mixture over the noodles, and serve with the "prik nam som" (vinegar chili peppers) and white pepper.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 12:05:20 PM »
:blushes:

Shall get them up and done by end of the weekend.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 12:15:39 PM »
heheh, no worries matey :)

I also decided to write down a few more of my favorite Indonesion recipes:

Frikadel (The Indonesian cooks' interpretation of a Dutch snack (frikandel) that they were asked to make by their Dutch 'masters' back in the colonial days)
500 g of minced beef
3 chopped shallots
3 cloves of garlic, chopped or pressed
celery leaves, chopped
3 tsp of djinten (cumin powder)
6 tsp of ketoembar (coriander seed powder)
some salt
2 cooked potatoes in little pieces

knead everything together and make small burgers of about 3cm diameter, fry in sunflower oil (or other oil without too much taste of itself)
this really is a snack and goes pretty well with lager (I can say that from experience  ;))

« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:58:47 AM by Warcold »

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 03:56:22 PM »
Sambal Goreng
+/- 300g of vegetables (e.g. french beans, conical cabbage, Brussels sprouts, etc)
strips of bacon
2 onions, chopped
1-2 eggs
clove of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp laos (galangal powder)
ketjap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
trassi (prawnpaste)

Fry the onion, garlic, trassi and bacon and put the laos powder with it. When this is about cooked right, add the vegetables (you might want to cook these for a short while before adding them (without salt!)) and stir regularly. When the veggies are done (have them have a bite still, no sloppy stuff  :)) add the (raw) eggs and stir till they are set. Then pour quite some ketjap manis over it (100-150 ml I guess), and let it simmer a bit more over a small fire. Serve with rice or nasi goreng (baked rice).

As a vegetarian alternative for the trassi and bacon, I usually chafe some santen (solid cocopaste) over the dish which adds a nice flavour.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:58:58 AM by Warcold »

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Babi Ketjap
1 shallot, chopped
1 clove of garlic, pressed
500-750g pork steak
2-3 slices of bacon (that's about 400g of this)
nutmeg
sunflower oil
ketjap manis

Cut the meat in ~2 cm pieces, put some nutmeg over it. Put meat, shallot and garlic in a hot pan with another touch of nutmeg over it. Dont overdo the nutmeg. When the meat is ok on the outside go easier on the heat and add ketjap manis till it's about halfway the level of the meat (so quite a lot). Simmer for about an hour, add ketjap in the process if needed.

Quite a rich meat dish that obviously needs other dishes as support. It's quite yummy though :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:58:03 AM by Warcold »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »
some yummy sweet tarts we'll eat tonight

my type of fun

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 10:19:56 PM »
and hers my reci[pe for a sundfay special

take a smuch wine, beer and spirits as you rbody allows.

mix with siome lovely food

marinade sans stomach overnight

et voila

a nice chocco pud for sunday enjoyment