Author Topic: I Has Chickens.  (Read 9796 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: I Has Chickens.
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 05:08:07 PM »
That's the most fancy chicken coop i ever saw, bought at a design store?  ;)
Bit small though, innit?
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 05:12:31 PM »
Gonna buy me a fox and move to brum with it.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 06:15:34 PM »
and I never ate pig cheese, did you?

;)

oh my friend there is indeed a pigs milk cheese called, Porcorino its a Tuscan rarity.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »
Didnt say there wasnt one...  :P
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
looking at the pics they are not far off being frozen chickens  :D

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »
That's the most fancy chicken coop i ever saw, bought at a design store?  ;)
Bit small though, innit?

Yes, they are a bit 'cooped' up... hur hur.

But that won't be where'll they'll be permanently, I'll let them roam the yard during the day once they've settled in.

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »
and you used to say I was the hippy!

laters elv

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 08:02:08 AM »
When we moved to Finland, my parents bought a farm. During my teens we had at the farm ~20 cows, a couple pigs (whose life always ended before christmas), and 1500 chicken. Many people came to see our hen-house, because the standard at the time was to put the chicken in small cages with 4 or 5 chicken in each, while we had "free" chicken (basically a hall which was 600m2, with feeding and water automats spread out, and the "nests" on the sides (the idea being that the chicken would lay the eggs there so that they could be picked from the outside; there was always some stupid chicken who didn't get that, and lay the eggs where ever they happened to be standing at the time).

I've eaten a few eggs in my days.

I've also washed a crapton of eggs. In case you didn't know, the standard size eggs are washed and packed automatically, but the damn chicked lay eggs of various sizes. The too big ones and the too small ones. The too big and too small ones have to be washed by hand (the too big ones then were sold at the farmers market (the best profit came from these eggs, so they had to be washed carefully; the big eggs have the most fragile shell), the too small ones went to restaurants (and the profit for those was the worst, but the hygiene standards are stiff, so they had to be washed extra carefully...). There was about 200-300 "wrong-size eggs each day... Every day after school first thing to do was to go and wash eggs.

Oddly enough, I still like to eat eggs. Although I don't start my day anymore always with an egg-special (one raw egg in a glass, teaspoon of sugar, orange juice, stir, drink), just when I have a headache in the mornings. It still each time takes me back to my teens and remembering all the good days washing eggs...

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »
I am grateful for only having two eggs to wash on a daily basis, both hidden in my pouch and the right one being lost most of the time.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 07:47:45 AM »
Sadly still standard to keep hen in small cages in most of Europe :(
Cruelty to animals in my opinion.
I'll take a pic of the henhouse we had, used for storage nowadays. Door was only closed in the winter, on the summer they roamed freely. We lost a few to birds of prey and foxes and you couldn't walk around barefoot haha but worth it.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 11:50:04 AM »
Sadly still standard to keep hen in small cages in most of Europe :(
Cruelty to animals in my opinion.
I'll take a pic of the henhouse we had, used for storage nowadays. Door was only closed in the winter, on the summer they roamed freely. We lost a few to birds of prey and foxes and you couldn't walk around barefoot haha but worth it.

Peo, the run is only used for them when we're not in and at night. The rest of the time they free range.