Author Topic: Problem logging on to Snowbourne  (Read 9423 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Problem logging on to Snowbourne
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 06:13:14 PM »
Your ISP hasnt got you on a proxy have they?

(Check proxy settings in IE & FF - if there is one there then they may have)

That could be a cause of it if so - especially the tracert/ping thing.  You should see all the hops and ms it takes to each - I can and I run via wireless to a hardware firewall in my router (and dont even have lotro added to that).

This is beginning to look like an ISP issue... as youc an access sites, but cant ping them thats very odd.

Also try http://www.pingplotter.com/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 06:18:50 PM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 06:16:23 PM »
as mang says ive never had to add any special rules to the NAT in my router it seems from you tracert that it hust isnt going anywhere after the router.

Have a look on the forums and check if others have issues with proxy logins etc, if i wasnt goung out id have a look ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »
ALso - cleared your pc's dns cache (can do that from the cmd window)

If its your client PC you need to clear the dns cache on, simply open up a command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns. This will clear the dns cache on your computer and force it to go back to the DNS Server to resolve names again.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 06:18:31 PM »
try flushing dns then try the tracert again

type

ipconfig /flushdns

in cmd

im telling you me and mang share a brain
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 06:19:08 PM »
try flushing dns then try the tracert again

type

ipconfig /flushdns

in cmd

Beat you!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 06:21:43 PM »
quickly looking into proxies and LOTRO it seems Cm dont like proxies so do try and prevent them from connecting to try and curtail the gold sellers from our favourite asian country.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »
had the whole ingame freeze early last year forced me out of the game for a while.
the char would freeze in place and only a reboot of the client would sort it.

since rejoining the game 2 or so months ago with the same isp the game works almost fine now can run it for about 20 hours split over 2 days before i get a freeze it was every half hour early last year.

saying that i have a complete new system with all the latest drivers so i would say its some sort of compatibility issue.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »
Did the flushdns thing, but still getting the bunch of *s.
IE/FF don't have a proxy, and as far as I know I never set one up either.
I do get assigned a dynamic IP adress, but that shouldn't cause any problems I think.
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2009, 11:00:22 PM »
Did the flushdns thing, but still getting the bunch of *s.
IE/FF don't have a proxy, and as far as I know I never set one up either.
I do get assigned a dynamic IP adress, but that shouldn't cause any problems I think.

Looked into the *s thing - can be used by viruses etc so lots of ISP's disable tracerts from hitting their lines. 

I too have a dynamic address - so its back to it being a potential issue with the game itself - I'd certainly try asking the GM's ingame 9if you stay in long enough) to "flush" your characters you have issues with, and see if that helps. 

Also on any chars exceptingt he guardians, are you still crashing when you zone? as there's alot of posts on zoning crashes stateside...

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2009, 11:02:36 PM »
have you set up a rule in your routers hard (NAT) firewall  for the LOTRO ports?

TCP: 80, 443, 5015, 9000

UDP: 2900-2910, 5015, 9000-9012

my ideas will start to get progressively more drastic after this one ;)

also i just noticed that your ISP was a branch of Tiscali they very aggresively packet shape and will go as far as to say they do not support online gaming (that was the ISP my mate had issues with at release), he could play other games without any issues but LOTROs packets seemed to cause issues with their shaping rules.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2009, 11:16:28 PM »
Actually Tiscali has merged into Telfort with a few other ISPs. I'll check with them if they use packet shaping, but a quick browse across some internet forums seem to suggest that people are actually moving TO Telfort to escape packet shaping from their old providers. Again, I never - ever - had problems with packet shaping playing wow, war or eve. I know what the symptoms look like since some of my UK based guildies did have to contend with their ISP using packet shaping. This, for me, is the main reason for not looking at my ISP for cause of the problem - they've been brilliant for the last few years.

I may try opening the ports you suggested tomorrow. If this fails I'll completely re-download and reinstall lotro, and if there's still problems I'll lower my settings and see if that brings any relief.

I also just got a HUGE mail back from Codies, though a quick scan doesn't turn up much useful - except the conclusion that their evening shift guys must be bored now and then. ;)

Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning Lord of the Rings Online.

That message is normal - it just means that you CAN connect to the server.

Warping, disconnections and latency are all symptoms of internet lag.

Lag is influenced by the following factors
- A slow connection to the server
- Congestion at some point on your connection path before reaching the game server
- Server congestion
- The client PC itself

We are limited in what we can do to resolve your problem, as only point 3 is something we have control over and all of our servers are operating as effectively as possible at the current time. The vast majority of players are not experiencing problems which indicates that the issue lies with points 1, 2 or 4, unfortunately.

We can, however, make some recommendations

- Ensure that you have the fastest connection available to you and that you have a good ISP that is close to a major internet backbone. ISP rating guides are quite common on the internet and in Magazines, so refer to these for more information.
- Codemaster’s servers are based in Europe and North America. If you are outside of these areas, you will naturally experience more latency. We do not market our MMO games outside of Europe or North America at the current time, for this reason.

- Contact your ISP to see if your connection is suitable for gaming and if they have an alternative connection point that they can offer, which is less likely to suffer from congestion.
- If you are using a (A)DSL connection, ask your ISP for the contention ratio that they apply (this will be the maximum number of users that share your bandwidth). A typical ratio is 50:1. Anything more than that may result in problems during peak hours
- Playing at times when fewer other users will be using the internet, if possible, will also reduce congestion problems (particularly if using (A)DSL for the reason above)

- You should shutdown all other applications that might use the internet whilst playing the game. This includes any messenger/email software, any voice chat or internet telephone applications, internet browsers, Real Player etc.
- To ensure that your PC is working at peak efficiency, reduce any game graphics and sound options that reduce the frame rate you experience in-game. You should also ensure that your PC has all the latest drivers installed for your hardware.
- Also ensure that you have the latest firmware installed for any routers/modems etc, particularly for wireless devices.
- Make sure if you are using a router or hardware firewall that all of the ports the game uses are opened/forwarded.
- As long as you have a correctly configured firewall in place you should have no need for anti-virus software to be scanning in memory. You can turn this feature off whilst playing and turn it back on again for internet browsing.
- Turn off any music playing software or any other program you have running whilst you are playing the game.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this email and INCLUDE THIS LINE IN YOUR REPLY:-

{|CALLID|}=01988973

Or include the entire text of this email.

Kind regards
Rob
Codemasters Customer Services

"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
want your eve char back?  :D
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »
One more thing you might want to check: a while back I had a lot of problems with disconnects that eventually traced back to a bad signal to noise ratio (SNR) on the broadband.   There is a way to check it on the router but once the problem was solved I'm afraid I flushed it from my memory - I still shudder when I think of 'phoning BT in India.  Google SNR and Broadband and you should find something. 

One more for your checklist - I admire you perseverance  :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:55:02 PM by Mangala »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 11:28:57 PM »
so it seems somewhere between yourself and Paris there are issues