Author Topic: Problem logging on to Snowbourne  (Read 9294 times)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: Problem logging on to Snowbourne
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 09:45:44 PM »
Either stopping DX10 from running or updating my audio drivers seems to have done something.
I've just played just under an hour on my new minstrel, and only disconnected when leaving a zone - and could get back in right away on the other character.
Now going to see if stuff improved on my guardian.

Edit: I just froze on the guardian. Seems it's exclusive to that class (having the problem on 2 guardians on 2 servers) - this is weird!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:01:27 PM by Gunnarr »
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 09:53:32 PM »
Seems like you are closing in on a diy solution.

Hope it gets better for you :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
You just had to jynx it, didn't you?  :P
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 10:05:56 PM »
* Mangala hides

Offline Dlarah

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 01:52:55 AM »
I must say the launcher for lotro isnt the most stable i have seen for a mmo. Almost every time i try to start it it will just close itself after typing in username and password and clocking log in. Then i just start it up again and theres no problem...

Your problems sounds a lot like connection issues, but i do know some X-Fi soundcards and nvidia cards dont go well together. I actually removed my X-Fi after getting a 8800gtx graphics card as it would cause certain games to crash or just be plain unplayable due to machine starting to stagger like it was doing some extreme background tasks. The mainboard soundcard works just fine and i usually use a headset anyways.. Maybe worth trying to remove and uninstal the soundcard just to be sure?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 06:11:21 AM »
Very wierd indeed Rico - I'd bug report it hen on your stable character class, see if a GM etc can shed some light on it.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 11:46:11 AM »
Bugreported through email:

I'm writing you to report a problem I have when playing LOTRO, and hoping you may have a solution for me.
Just yesterday, I downloaded LOTRO and started a trial with high hopes for the game.
Unfortunately, it soon became apparent that I'd disconnect frequently - usually multiple times per hour. Annoyingly, after being disconnected, I won't be able to log in for a long time - over an hour as far as I can tell.
I have browsed your support forums looking for a solution, but have so far not been able to find one.

Interestingly, the disconnecting always seems to happen while travelling, and seemingly just as I'm entering a new zone. My character will freeze, unable to move or jump, though I'm still able to rotate. It seems like I'm not disconnected though, as the connection indicator will still show me at a ping of 156, with 0% package loss.
A short time later (a little over a minute usually) it will disconnect, showing me a black screen, a message "connection to server lost" and just the option to quit the game entirely.
After this happens I will not be able to reconnect to this server, though I am able to connect to a different server. The above problems occurred to me on both the Snowbourn and Gilrain server, while playing a human guardian.
I've also tried an elf minstrel for a few levels, and disconnected once, though in this case it was while zoning (going through a door). I'm unsure if this is caused by the same problem.

So far I have updated my sound drivers and disabled the DirectX 10 graphics, and added Turbinelauncer, turbineinvoker and lotroclient to the permitted list of my (Vista)firewall. Unfortunately these steps haven't improved the situation.
I'll attach my Dxdiag file for information on my system. I'm using the dutch ISP Telfort, on a 4Mb adsl connection, which is usually rock solid. As far as I'm aware, they don't use packet shaping.
I've recently played 3 other MMOs without significant problems on this system and over this connection: WoW, WAR, and EVE.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not going to remove a soundcard just because one game happens to have a problem with it - wow, eve, war all played brilliantly - WAR even in open beta!  Fallout 3 ran without a hitch, too.
All other programs are doing good, and it's not like Creative is some weird, backwater brand. I really don't think it's my hardware that's to blame here, perhaps it's the hardware together with the lotro software, in which case I'll just ditch the lotro software and forget about the whole thing.

Tbh I'm getting quite annoyed by the way the LOTRO infrastructure seems to be set up. Apparently they have a different logon server for different game servers (?) as I'm not able to reconnect to the server I disconnected from, but can connect to other servers. Also, this seems to point at that their login server is unable to drop one connection to the game to allow another from the same account, which is just stupid.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:53:26 AM by Gunnarr »
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
I must say the launcher for lotro isnt the most stable i have seen for a mmo. Almost every time i try to start it it will just close itself after typing in username and password and clocking log in. Then i just start it up again and theres no problem...

Your problems sounds a lot like connection issues, but i do know some X-Fi soundcards and nvidia cards dont go well together. I actually removed my X-Fi after getting a 8800gtx graphics card as it would cause certain games to crash or just be plain unplayable due to machine starting to stagger like it was doing some extreme background tasks. The mainboard soundcard works just fine and i usually use a headset anyways.. Maybe worth trying to remove and uninstal the soundcard just to be sure?

Last patch introduced that annoying type in login details and launcher closes bug, ive just accepted that until they fix it my game wont work until second launch of launcher.

Sometomes its just working out which 2 pieces of software dont "like" each other so its prob Lotro and something else arguing causing the issues, remember that they made huge changes to the client for Moria and they probably havent ironed out all the issues yet. LIke my Lagging issues in 21st Hall (im sure its 8800 that just suck really ;)  )
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 12:53:21 PM »
Codies customer service.

The good:
First reply within 5 minutes. That earned them some brownie points.

The bad:
After asking for more information on my ISP, they suggest configuring my firewall to permit 3 of there files. Something that I already did, and told them I did in the first help request.

Waiting for other bright ideas now.....
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
have you tried a tracert to the login server? see if theres an issue somewhere
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 04:21:20 PM »
Well, I can connect to the logon server, except when I just crashed.
I can also connect to any other server (including logging on to it) after I crashed.
When I crash, I'm still at 0% package loss and a decent ping (150ish)
Finally, I don't seem to crash nearly as much on my elf minstrel as on my human guardian (both on Snowbourn)

Tbh, this doesn't look like a connection issue to me at all....
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »
Possible corrput client as far as the guardian goes then?  all though how that prevents you reconnecting etc would be beyond me.

try posting on CM's lotro forum too - the support there is more user to user then GM to User as Codies arent the game techs - thats turbine, and all codies gm';s do with bugs etc is see if they are on a list - if they are give answer a) if they arent give answer B and forward to turbine.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 04:54:09 PM »
Sigh. I wish. But my minstrel just froze and disconnected as well.
<Despairs>

It's really hard to even create a hypothesis about what's the problem with this little information - and it being conflicting at that.
Anyone know what the IP of the logon server is? I'll try to traceroute it.
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »

(www.lotroeugls.com)

Deleted all their entries from your firewall and re-added? Also do you have a router with a firewall? that could be throwing issues?)

And added all the possible ports it uses?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 05:20:16 PM by Mangala »

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 06:05:34 PM »
Ok, this confounds me.

When I do a tracert, it will show something like the following:
Code: [Select]
1    <1ms    <1ms        <1ms     192.168.xxx
2      *              *                 *           Request timed out
3      *              *                 *           Request timed out
4      *              *                 *           Request timed out
etc
Down to 30
Trace complete.

I tried adding ping and tracert to my firewall allowed list, tried downloading a seperate program for it (Visualroute), which tells me it times out after the third hop and doesn't come up with any meaningful information either.
I even tried switching off my firewall altogether, and it still comes up with a lot of *s....
The same kind of results show up whichever IP adress or website I enter, even google.com.
I'm connected to the internet directly through a (DSL)modem, which doesn't have a hardware firewall...

I'm feeling stupid, like I'm missing something obvious. :(
Quoted for brilliance.