Author Topic: Guild Member Ranks  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Guild Member Ranks
« on: October 19, 2008, 08:40:20 AM »
I have begun altering my rank structure and moving members around somewhat, as well as granting permissions to various member ranks, and I know some of you will have questions.

The ranks we have are as follows:

General (Me!)
Colonel (Officer level privileges + plus all officer alts too)
Sergeant (Member rank: Access to all current vault tabs)
Corporalt (Member alts: I compromised on rank name a tad. Access to all current vault tabs)
Private (New member. Has access to a single vault tab)

Officer level guys are just there so I can bounce idea's off them or because they are doing diplomatic work on our behalf (Vac/Thar I'm looking at you!) Also, it has been said about using Member Alt/Officer Alt as possible titles, but that just doesnt fit my theme :D

Also top 2 ranks and bottom 2 cannot be switched off in the guild interface so we have to put up with this.

Changes have been made, Im not changing any further.

Just an FYI, there are some people I have not been able to promote from Private, I'll be trying again today and if I still cant I'll do a support ticket.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:41:43 PM by Beosvir »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Member Ranks
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »
So I'm a bridgadier ey? :D
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 09:00:22 AM »
I don't care about what my rank is called too much, so please don't take this as harsh criticism ;)

• I don't think linking guild guild rank with ingame rank serves any purpose. Imo it's better to keep a flat organisation with fewer ranks, than inflate the number of ranks just for the heck of it and use an already visible and existing mechanic to make an (rather artificial) differentiation.
  • Linking these extra ranks to guildbank access will require us to keep the tabs organized. So lowest level stuff in the first one, 20-30 level stuff in the second one....etc. This may sound like a great thing at first, but I can see it turning into a mess and higher level players having to come to Altdorf to get stuff out for lowbies.....
  • All I think we need is a GM - officer - member - new member rank. Perhaps 1 (2) ranks for officer alts and member alts. New players don't need alts in the guild yet. ;)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 09:28:05 AM »
I don't care about what my rank is called too much, so please don't take this as harsh criticism ;)

Moi? ;)

I like feedback, it good for me to get it too :D

I don't think linking guild guild rank with ingame rank serves any purpose. Imo it's better to keep a flat organisation with fewer ranks, than inflate the number of ranks just for the heck of it and use an already visible and existing mechanic to make an (rather artificial) differentiation.
Guild rank has nothing to do with member rank, I may have not been too clear in the phrasing of my post.

Linking these extra ranks to guildbank access will require us to keep the tabs organized. So lowest level stuff in the first one, 20-30 level stuff in the second one....etc. This may sound like a great thing at first, but I can see it turning into a mess and higher level players having to come to Altdorf to get stuff out for lowbies.....
hadnt even considered that particular problem.

All I think we need is a GM - officer - member - new member rank. Perhaps 1 (2) ranks for officer alts and member alts. New players don't need alts in the guild yet.
Game devs have no imagination and all seem to use a basic 4 with the same titles! I like thematic, cant help it, it appeals to the nerdy rp'er in me (Trubine let me down by not letting me rename ranks...) I can trim some, but names stay! If I was to trim and re-alter we could end up with this:

General
Colonel
Brigadier (Legacy Guys & Officer Alts)
Sergeant
Corporalt (has to remain in, I cannot disable the bottom two or top two ranks - game mechanism) (Member alts, and I compromised my thematic values a little...)
Private

With only bank restrictions placed on Privates... :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:38:10 AM by Beosvir »

Offline Pashur

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 11:57:31 AM »
I am on the same wavelength as Gunnarr. I would prefer as flat an organisation as possible. I think the purpose of ranks is to identify who is responsible for and can do what. In that sense a member alt and officer alt rank would be very good. Ponder over your theme there Beo ;)
I also don't see the point of creating the Brigadier rank. Having a close friends of the GM club that new members never can join cannot be good for the community feeling. I see the camaraderie and esprit de corps as essential for our future success and the guild ranks should support that.

Just my 2c

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »
I am on the same wavelength as Gunnarr. I would prefer as flat an organisation as possible. I think the purpose of ranks is to identify who is responsible for and can do what. In that sense a member alt and officer alt rank would be very good. Ponder over your theme there Beo ;)
Its a personal thing for me, and one I wont ever alter. I prefer to go against the grain and have more thematic stuff than you see on the public rosters of 90% of the rest of the server. yes its slightly harder on organistion in some regards, but I thrive on organisation and having this just so, hell its a large part of my work life and I cant get away from it at home, such a part of me it is. So despite some valid arguments for a change to vanilla naming conventions, it stays :) Plus Mythic original billed guilds as Regiments (a term i still use from time to time) and thats what flashed the military style ranks in my head. Then they about turned and changed it all to guilds and became common garden :S

And other than Private the majority of the ranks have the same access, but are just there to differentiate between mains/alts: Corporalt/Sergeant & Colonel/Brigadier.

I also don't see the point of creating the Brigadier rank. Having a close friends of the GM club that new members never can join cannot be good for the community feeling. I see the camaraderie and esprit de corps as essential for our future success and the guild ranks should support that.
Probably get shot of it and dump all officer alts into Colonel, given mine are there already :D

Now all I need to do is ticket for the 10 or so people I cant promote at all, dont get an error message or anything to say why not :S
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:33:33 PM by Beosvir »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 05:09:50 PM »
I hate the ticket system with a passion.

Ticket an hour ago - not even an email response ingame or outofgame.

How the hell can I move a small handful of people to where they should be if trying so ingame doesnt work :S

Offline Nushka

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 10:12:29 PM »
You are expecting some sort of customer service????

/ begin rant

Seriously, I have tried on numberous occasions to get some for one realson or other, and each time there has either been no answer or they wait for you to be offline then send you an email that says nothing frm an email address you can;t reply to.

its damned frustatring.

GOA= Go Order American  ;D

/end rant

<secretly hopes for -Guild Drama Queen- rank>

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:24:31 PM »
I thought GOA were french!?!
It's a sub of France Telecom - it explains all

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Nushka

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 10:36:23 PM »
I thought GOA were french!?!
It's a sub of France Telecom - it explains all

Um yes, and in order to avoid them you have to... go order america <games>

sigh, my wit is wasted here!

/drama queen

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 01:28:17 AM »
i understood you Nush ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »
Now all I need to do is ticket for the 10 or so people I cant promote at all, dont get an error message or anything to say why not :S

Some people are just natural sergeants.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »
I hate the ticket system with a passion.

Ticket an hour ago - not even an email response ingame or outofgame.

How the hell can I move a small handful of people to where they should be if trying so ingame doesnt work :S

Have you tried waiting till they are online and one at a time kicking them from the guild the re-inviting and promoting? Worth a shot and probably quicker than waiting on a ticket.
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 05:19:23 PM »
Thats agreat point Mac - one I hadnt thought of.

Will try that with the ones I cant do tonight as I see them and such :)