Author Topic: My PQ fun  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Axenar

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
My PQ fun
« on: October 02, 2008, 07:17:05 AM »
So last night I spent ages trying to do the first Chapter 5 Dwarf PQ, the one with all the undead just outside the first camp in the MoM. We kept getting to the last chapter but due to no one in the area actually co-ordinating or from what I could see even communicating we repeatedly fell over at the boss. Annoying cos I first turned up at the beginning of the night ran in and joined in killing the boss right at the end only to manage to get a lesser loot bag in the deal and yet despite repeated efforts we couldnt seem to complete this one.

Healers werent healing and tanks werent tanking. In the end I gave up and left having managed to farm all 3 levels of influence so I could at least claim those rewards.

Similar happened in other PQs as well. It's odd some times they go really well and other times folks just seem so disjointed it isnt real.

Anyway lesson learned I wont bog myself down for so long in PQ's. Just get my 3 levels of reward and then move on if the quest fails. Not to say I don't like the rewards, did the level 4 bandits one twice and got both items I fancied from the reward bag.

Only thing I can hope is that all that Influence farming at least helped up my XPs as well without cashing in any quests. Hopefully means I wont hit that slow stage as soon then where it's hard to get levelled.

Anyway tonight I will mostly be questing but if there's any group stuff going down then give me a yell.

Offline Peter

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
Re: My PQ fun
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »
Probably it is different at higher levels - as I have only seen T1 content, I obviously cannot know how it works out later - but I've had a very decent success rate with the early PQs by (as Archmage) agreeing with somebody else that he tanks and I'll do the best to keep him alive (amazing what confidence that gives your tank) and (as Swordmaster) agreeing with somebody else that he heals me and exclusively me unless he has healing to spare while I'll do my best to keep the boss locked down.  The early High Elf PQs seem to do very well with just one dedicated tank, one dedicated tank healer, and everybody else doing the <execute random order> chicken dance.

...It must be said that it is entirely likely that the success has more to do with the difficulty of early PQs - some are hard (the beach overrun with orcs and corsairs in Chacre has swamped every bunch of people I've tried it with in phase II) while others seem exceptionally easy - threemanned one in Chacre where we have to rescue prisoners with me as archmage (9) tanking the boss + healing myself, archmage (7) healing me, and a shadow warrior (10-11, I forget) doing the damage.

I have not really noticed people in guild chat actively recruiting others to perform PQs - is that because we are so spread in levels that the odds are low of gathering a decent group, a natural reluctance to inconvenience others, or because it has been an unsuccesful strategy so far? Or, perhaps, something completely different?

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 10:38:36 AM »
I have not really noticed people in guild chat actively recruiting others to perform PQs - is that because we are so spread in levels that the odds are low of gathering a decent group, a natural reluctance to inconvenience others, or because it has been an unsuccesful strategy so far? Or, perhaps, something completely different?
Doing PQ's in PUGs is easy (at least as WP). There are always people around to do them, and as a WP I can heal or tank as needed. A couple ranks higher champions are no sweat for a WP to handle (as long as there are not too many), they just take awfully long time to kill solo (so soloing the two first stages of PQ's are doable for a WP); happily though there is no shortage of bright-mages, engineers or shadowhunters to do the DPS, and usually there is a tank class too (altough some players can't keep aggro no matter what, while others hold aggro always and all the time). Basically when I wander to a PQ area, and an instant party/warband is formed around me. As a WP the contribution points skyrocket (nice contribution for healing and taking damage alike), so easy to get the good loot.

However, scenarios and open RvR (not to mention dungeons) I prefer to do in non-PUGs. Just because I suck does not mean I have to join a group where the other members suck too :P  I believe others prefer to do these more "demanding" group activities together with people they know (or want to learn to know), as the chances for constructive feedback (thanks Pythia, Ellara et al for the feedback to me :) ) are higher then, and thus we have a hope of improving our performance in the future.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:40:50 AM by Jarkko »

Offline Dehn

• MAADI
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 12:52:09 PM »

I'd love to do more PQ's in groups with guildies..  havent done any in t2 really.

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »
I'm happy to drop back and tank a few T2PQs for guildies ...

Offline Axenar

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 07:20:27 AM »
Well on again tonight to try and ramp through one of the Chapter 6 ones in Dwarf Tier 2 if anyones on to lend a hand I'd appreciate it. If not I'll just grind the mobs for the influence rewards and xps and then move on.

By the way I read in the guid book that getting to tier 3 on just the dwarf chapters alone is quite hard as the XPs dry up part way through. Is this right? Tip I had read was do up to chapter 7 but then head over and do 5 to 7 in the Elf and Empire zones then come back to do the rest of the Dwarf Tier 2 quests. Just wondered about others experiences?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 07:32:46 AM »
Personally I've only stuck to the Dwarf v Greenskin pairings all the way up.  Havent had any difficulty getting stuff done either via the chapters or quests or rvr. Currently Rank21 and just got Chapter 10 at the start of Tier 3 to finish, that should take me to 22 with rested, then Chapter 11 will become a touch easier.

==========

On the subject of guild groups for PQ's. Went to 3 of the Altdorf ones lastnight with a purely guild group, given that 2 of the 3 reset right after completion we had some fun trying to ensure each of us got at least one loot bag from each, we also gave the deamonettes one a pop (30mins reset) and did the same there for loot bags. The Altdorf ones are all single stage PQ's with completion aiding in Altdorfs ranking  up, so was a worthwhile night overall :)

Will be looking at people to finish dwarf chapter 9 (moved on to Tier 3 without finishing it as getting a group was hard, more so of people who know to focus fire and follow your lead!), preferrably via the Tower PQ, rather than either of the other two Chapter 9 PQ's - most likely this coming weekend, in addition to doing Dwarf Chapter 10 and maybe even Chapter 11 (2 fun PQ's at the side of each other and one slightly tougher one further south). My AM and my BW also will be running High Elf/Human Tier 1 chapters should anyone have alts around that level :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 08:24:30 AM by Beosvir »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 08:26:13 AM »
If anyone on the guild needs a hand with a PQ they only have to shout. This little healer is always available to help out when he's on.

Oh and if you do ask for my help you may have to do so several times using capitals in guild chat. Mainly because if im mid fight i don't tend to be reading whats scrolling across my chat window  ::).
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Axenar

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 11:22:54 AM »
We should do "Alts Nights" whereby those of us just starting an Alt or early level Alt can get together to ramp through PQ's and Scenarios at the early stages and not eat into or miss group sessions with our mains?

Just an idea. I have yet to kick off any of my alts beyond my Witch Elf and she doesnt exactly count being that's shes on Axe Bite.

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 11:35:14 AM »
Been playing my alt on axebite a little bit (got him to L6 Sorc) - but it takes a LOOONG time for scenarios to pop.
One thing I noticed though is that Destro is *cool*. Far more gameplay with order, but Zealots, Witch Elves and Black Orcs look incredibly good close up - whereas lower level WP/AM/SM/IB/RP look incredibly bland.

Shame really ...

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
One thing I noticed though is that Destro is *cool*. Far more gameplay with order, but Zealots, Witch Elves and Black Orcs look incredibly good close up - whereas lower level WP/AM/SM/IB/RP look incredibly bland.

Shame really ...

Spot on, I've observed the same thing playing my lowbie shammy. It's really a shame, it feels like they didn't put as much craft into order side. Along with the marketing bias (could have been forgiven for thinking it was World of Greenskins Online), I suspect all this is the direct cause of population imbalance.

Ah luv meh chuffin' dwarf tho', and after spending most of last night running around Altdorf I've a better appreciation for how impressive the place actually is (there's one place they didn't slack on imo).

Order Torgal / Allein / Iapetus / Mellir / Ganymede
Destruction Stikklebrix / Mimas

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"