Author Topic: Empire Total War  (Read 25115 times)

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Total War
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 12:23:03 PM »
Steam seems to be FUBAR atm - can't install until I login to steam and it wont accept what I ABSOLUTELY KNOW BEYOND ALL QUESTION TO BE my login details.  When a game does this to me I lose interest really quickly: SPORE was the same with its crappy udpate / verification system. 

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 08:16:37 PM »
especially with it having achievements now in Steam :D

where/how can you see them ? :D
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2009, 08:30:47 PM »
found it :D
former roommate.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Steam seems to be FUBAR atm - can't install until I login to steam and it wont accept what I ABSOLUTELY KNOW BEYOND ALL QUESTION TO BE my login details.  When a game does this to me I lose interest really quickly: SPORE was the same with its crappy udpate / verification system. 

Jesus, thats awful - really are missing out due to such a simple thing :(

Any joy at all?

Tried Steam Support?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
not a thing from Steam support - fortunately I have several email addresses so I opened a new Steam account - in like flynn and I've signed up to HoJ group. Liking the battles so far must try the campaign  one thing I would like to change tho is the music: I would like the strains of Lillibullero or Yankee doodle coming from a fife and drum band as my grenadiers go over the top.  I always liked the way Europa Universalis had period music to get into the mood (for which I would also recommend the Baroque Cycle books by Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver etc.).  I would also have liked the game to start with the end of the Thirty Years War or the start of the English Civil War but meh  a great game - might try and set up a Culloden battle (slaughtering highlanders and other papist jacobites never gets old). 

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »
might try and set up a Culloden battle (slaughtering highlanders and other papist jacobites never gets old). 

You revel in the worst case of genocide perpetrated by the English?

i always love the fact that those Highlanders that died that day were fighting to restore the RIGHTFUL king to the throne of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales (as the then king was German, Hanovarian family) and yet most English see it as a Scots v English fight, it was more a Sectarian difference rather than a Regional one, but i dont know what you have been taught about Culloden. The only certain thing was that evil was perpetrated on the days that followed, men, woman, and child were murdered, hung, burned alive and a raped. most of those "highlanders and papist Jacobites" were not fighting in the battle their only crime was being born Scottish.

"The trouble with Scotland is that it is full of Scots" Edward Longshanks

and it is also the reason why NO Scot proud of his heritage would sign the English national anthem ...

God grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy Mighty aid,
Victory bring,
May he sedition hush,
And like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.

Marshal Wade was a General at the battle leading his Veterans against a rabble of highlanders who still relied on the fearsome highland charge to break the ranks of the enemy.

There should be no doubt that this battle should NEVER be celebrated it was a sad day that saw the death of the rightful rule by Monarchy in the whole Union and one that should be looked upon in contemplation at the evils that men can perpetrate.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »
Does anyone have some pointers for sea battles, as it seems i always get my ships sunk or fleeing with minimal dammage done to my enemies.

Looks like i am dooing something wrong. So any pointers would be appreciated.

also i love it when you click on land with a fleet and get the message: "We're a fleet sir, not an army" (anway they say that in dutch)

also, dont know if anyone noticed. But a few time is was sieging a fortress, and when the besieged assaulted me i could place my armies inside the fort i was sieging. and the enemies outside of it. And at that time the computer doesnt scale the walls or anything and you can slaughter the enemy completely.

former roommate.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
in sea battles just zig zag towards enemy, depending on wind direction as indicated at top of screen. on my big ships i use the broadside option, with chain shot as the initial barrage on a good hit this will really slow down any faster vessels allowing you to turn and fire a broadside from the other sides guns.

also if im fighting superior numbers of smaller ships ill drive my large ones right between them allowing both sides to fire at seperate targets.

Also pick fights you can win ;) look at the number of bars next to the unit for its numbers :)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »
hmm interesting points you make Cara.  Not sure if it was the worst case of genocide the English engaged in, the great Irish Famine of '48 might be a contender for that title but what the heck don't want to argue over a throwaway line about a (war)game but there are a few points to note, all of which are highly contentious of course :

(1) more Scots fought for Cumberland at Culloden than for Charles.  And when did killing people who charge at you across a field will huge great swords count as genocide?
(2) the highland clearances that followed later could be classed as a form of genocide (or ethnic cleansing by modern standards) and were largely engineered by clan chiefs wanting to make more money from sheep farming
(3) after the feudal clan system was consigned to history, Scotland never had it so good
(4) the Stuarts gave up their moral right to kingship a long time before James II abdicated and threw the great seal into the Thames making their claim to the throne null and void. The present model of constitutional monarchy ie. rule through and with the consent of, parliament was settled in 1688.  If anything Charlese was seeking to create a absolute monarchy along the lines of the French kings - he was born and raised a French aristocrat.  If he had won at Culloden, it is likely a third civil war would have followed and not some golden age freedom.
(5) "Butcher" Cumberland did give a "no quarter" order and so deserves the soubriquet (although at the time it was, I think, within the rules of continental warfare as understood at the time) - but the fact that the winner of any particular battle is an evil bastard doesn't make the loser a saint either.  It is the lust for power which brings about these evils (imho) and I think the leaders on both sides were guilty of that.

Either way - I'm sorry if I offended you personally Caradir  :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 07:53:10 PM by Jeremiah »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:02 PM »
look at this victory, outnumbereed almost 5:1 sick of them sending 1 unit per turn to burn farms etc so i attack with my severly depleted army and won :D

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2009, 11:00:25 PM »
What caradir failed to mention was that he attacked at midnight having laced their cooking pots with a rather large quantity of diazepam.  :P

And that his casualtys were men that shot each other by mistake in the dark.  ahh the joys of friendly fire...  ::)
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2009, 07:36:13 AM »
hurray! gunnarr, beth and some other friends got me a cuppay!!

p.s. hmm, hope my dvd writer will read the dvd, is making a lot of difficult sounds...   :-\
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »
ok, my player finally read my dvd, but now i got the next problem *grumble*
a purchase error, WTF??

see my problem isnt new: http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/software-problems-useful-utilities/6757-sue-steam-counter-strike-1-6-beta.html

ideas or hints anyone?
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2009, 08:11:56 AM »
STEAM SUCKS!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2009, 08:13:36 AM »
ok, my player finally read my dvd, but now i got the next problem *grumble*
a purchase error, WTF??

see my problem isnt new: http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/software-problems-useful-utilities/6757-sue-steam-counter-strike-1-6-beta.html

ideas or hints anyone?

So it lets you begin installing it - than spams that?

IS Steam connected to the net or in offline mode? As on a first install from dics I think it requires to be connected to verify the key. (Dont quote me, I settled for an electronic purchase in the end as I am lazy).
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."