Author Topic: Rate my minis (or something like that...)  (Read 3914 times)

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Rate my minis (or something like that...)
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:27:49 PM »
Well, the other day I realized I was really bored with most stuff. So I looked around and what did I see if not a shitload of unpainted warhammer minis (and some half painted or more).
So I grabbed the paint, brushes and started to finish painting some. First I attacked some chaos warriors, but didn't finish them as I can't figure out the paintscheme and want some bronze/brass as well.
Next I attacked the skinny elves and I've managed to finish 6 archers now :) have 5 my brother started to paint which I'm trying to fix so they have the same paintscheme at least.
Going to upload pics of minis as they become ready so you all can admire or well trash (the latter being more likely as I really suck at it imo)
So without further ado here are my 6 HE archers finished imo (unless i actually feel like making the eyes better...)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:30:26 PM by peo »

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Rate my minis (or something like that...)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 10:46:14 AM »
Kudos dude. I barely ever painted any of my minis. Got into it and some sculpting in the end though.
Is there grey as an undercolour in those robes? If so, well done. Like the hair as well. And the arrows. 

I found that a second/third highlight colour can add a lot to the visual aspect of the model, even if it's only a shade lighter than your current highlight colour. On things like the shoulder bags you'd paint a few lines on hotspots manually (where natural light would fall and stand out) and on other areas just a very light brush would do the job.

A very, very, very, very, very light brown wash for the bows and equally light blackish grey wash for the helmets would take off a bit of the shiny factor on those colours.  They seem a bit too sparkly clean (no highlight) compared to the rest of the model. Having said that, I personally prefer OR washinh OR highlighting a model. Highlighting is my favourite because it gives minis a nice crispy 'dry' look. I had a friend who would just paint his minis with very straightforward colours and chuck a thinned down black wash over the entire model. Looked good on his beastmen army for tabletop purposes and it was pretty damn fast.

Eyes are one of the hardest things to do. The pro people go with single hair brushes or needle tips.
I think a good facial highlight or wash without eyes works just as well. Especially for table top purposes.

Looking forward to the other pics!
Reminds me I still need to sell off a load of my minis.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
What Goaty said.

I've been painting Warhammer stuff on and off for the last 16 years, and like to think I've achieved a reasonably high tabletop standard with my stuff (won best painted at a tournament once!).

You've done some really nice work with these Elves. Nice, clean paint job all round. The white on the robes looks a bit flat, but that could just be the camera washing it out. The bows could probably do with a wash and a re-highlight, to give them a bit more depth, rather than looking like giant bananas!

Other than that, really nice. Well done!

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:23:52 PM »
Next is going to be 6 chaos beastmen from the first plastic beastman pack (ancient...)
Trying a bit different methods on them for one main reason, speed.
Also they seen decent to train some highlighting on given their muscles :)
Will post when done.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »
In the meantime, a unit of Chaos Dwarf warriors I painted several years ago.
Some work in progress beastmen in the background.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
There 6 Khorne worshiping chaos beastmen done. (the khorne thing is why they have red highlight on the hair, didn't like the idea of pure red hair and thought it was decent to give them some red there to symbolize their bond with Khorne. They belong to my brothers Chaos army with Khorne theme (damn all those reds...) and in the 4th edition beastmen was part of the chaos list.
I'm fairly happy with the general look of them, didn't get the eyes perfect nor chest hair as the primer I had obscured a bit to much detail there. The legs where hard as well to highlight but think the main problem was my old style flesh wash, made things too dark.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:31:20 AM »
Likey. :)

Are the hooves the same colour as the legs/fur?
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
No, i darkened it down a bit and highlighted the edges a little. Not a big difference really, seemed to be how they had done it on the box.