Author Topic: No more cheap cds/dvds from Channel Islands  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
No more cheap cds/dvds from Channel Islands
« on: November 09, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »
Loophole being used is closing

Low Value Consignment Relief is a measure that has allowed supermarkets and online stores to purposely avoid paying VAT on items such as CDs, DVDs, computer games and beauty products by routing them through the Channel Islands.

The Relief was originally designed to speed up the transit of low value perishable goods through the postal system, but was hijacked by large retailers to slash their online prices, effectively allowing them to significantly undercut smaller, independent retailers.

It will be ditched by the government as of April 1 2012.

Yet they still let 98% of FTSE 100 companies awasy with paying less than their share of tax, this government have holes for brains.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: No more cheap cds/dvds from Channel Islands
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »
That totally blows.

Amazon being as cheap as they are normally was one of the few reasons I willingly bought dvds/blurays from the main studios :(

Oh well, time to get all the must haves I dont already own, and also switch my main collection to bluray sharpish then.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 02:09:48 PM »
There's this whole thing about taxes in Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Kiyosaki. It'll never actually hurt the rich/corporations.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »
There's this whole thing about taxes in Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Kiyosaki. It'll never actually hurt the rich/corporations.

They say "we'll go elsewhere" if governments threaten to increase tax they pay. Something wrong there if you ask me. "Go then" i say and make "ethical business" the new way.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)