Author Topic: Your average mmo life span?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Your average mmo life span?
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:32:10 AM »
Been giving this thought lately.

When you play an MMO how long in months/years do you play them for?

I mean I did Planetside for 1 year; SWG for a few months; Wow for a couple of years - pushing 4 if you add up all the on/off time after that; Lotro for about a year in total to date; EVE for 6 years remaining subbed;

Or are any of you the type who play an MMO for the free 30 days and thats it ;)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Your average mmo life span?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
wow=6 years on and off think i've finished with it now cataclysm was nice with the reworked zones but it was not enough for me you still had to hit outland and northrend again.

lotro= since launch on and off but again i think im finished with it as i dont like the direction they took with it mines of moria was ok first time through but would not like to do it again.

conan=the time it took me to find out that after level 40 it was a korean grindfest so 3 weeks or so

warhammer=was great at first and we had a really great guild the people in it were on a par with the original hoj in wow but people did start to drift away after the first 3 months which killed it a little for me that and not finding much to do after level 32 or so.

rift=still playing this since launch but very casually really good thought out game and a great launch with devs that listen to the community(so far).

swtor will be a real test for me if i dont take to it then it could be the last mmo i try as nothing has really lived up to the golden days of wow in hoj though warhammer for the people that were in the guild is a close second.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:51:27 AM »
I know how you feel about WAR - was saying the same to Saffy on TS lastnight.

Game was great for 3months, then you get to t4 by that stage, game was broken and a few of us went to eve :)  But for 3months it was one of the best times I have had in an MMO to date.

Best time outside of HoJ way back in WOW, has been most of my eve time when I'm killing stuff and my planetside days - nothing like 500-700 people fighting over a bridge on a forested world with artillery and air support and lots of covert behind the lines stuff going on :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 10:04:21 AM »
WoW: 6 years and counting. It's now casual recreation around my writing. No endgame for me any more.
Warhammer Online: 2 months. Ran like a dog on my old PC and I only paid for a month because I was trying an unsuccessful RAM upgrade.
City of Villains: 10 minutes. Instantly hated the controls.

My only reservation around trying SWToR is wondering whether or not my PC can handle it. I don't fancy wasting money on it if I can't run it and I'm not upgrading my PC in the near future.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:10:23 PM »
EvE: trial for a week then moved to:
WoW: trial and wanting more, but didnt want to be pulled in like I know I would and then
WAR started, you all know that story: 2-3 months and later F2P-ish that just didnt pull it
EvE: blame Jon - 2+ years
LOTRO: few months of subs, then F2P which didnt quite keep me in
Champions online: trial, meh...

blame lean wallet and my last sliver of sense

'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166