Author Topic: Cataclysm Thread  (Read 38268 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Cataclysm Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »
Path of the Titans: Removed!
Blizzard has scrapped the entire Path of the Titans progression system. As it is, it may be coming backā€”but not likely.

Tom Chilton explained that Blizzard had spent a long time working on the Path of the Titans system, trying to balance making it complicated enough to be interesting, but simple enough to be understandable. At the end of the day, they realized that they had ripped it all down until it resembled an upgrade to the glyph system. Simultaneously, they felt that the Glyph system wasn't as much of a game-changer in WotLK as they had originally wanted it to be, so they've decided instead to scrap the Path of the Titans concept, and instead focus on making the glyph system into the feature they had originally wanted.

Well. No Path of the Titans in Cata, at all, ever.  Seems we can blame terribads for this - blizz tries to makes things simple for them and strips stuff away totally...

Was looking forward to the Path of the Titans as a way to develop a character.

Archaeology is still in though:

With the Path of the Titans gone, Archeology will become a "true" secondary profession and you won't really have to level it anymore. However it will still be used to let you get cosmetic/optional items, get more information on the game's lore, and ultimately it looks like we can expect rewards similar to fishing. (Nothing mandatory, but you'll be happy when you actually find something)

Information gathered from other sites:
  • You will find two types of items: Common Artifacts will give you more information on the lore of a race, and might be used in some kind of collection game. Rare items will give you usable items, most of them will be cosmetic but some of them will have actual effects. (Details on Wowhead)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:16:40 AM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »
Guild levelling WAR style:

Guild Talents are gone
The guild talents are gone and your guild now gets extra bonuses depending on its level. There are 25 levels and each level will automatically reward with more cool stuff. The leveling process remains unchanged and your guild will gain experience through PvP, Dungeon and Raid progression, questing, etc ...

Guild currency has also been removed and rewards will just be "unlocked" after you reach a specific level or complete a guild achievement. Once a reward is unlocked, members will be able to purchase it with gold. Some of the rewards include guild tabards, mounts, heirlooms, and it looks like you will finally be able to have a guild tabard on your mount. (Just like the Argent Tournament banners)

New members of a guild won't be able to buy everything directly, they will have to contribute to the progression of the guild before they can access the top rewards. Each time a player helps towards the leveling he will gain reputation with the guild, the best rewards will require players to be exalted with their guild before they can buy it.

They pretty much just copied how WAR does it, instead of develop their own style system.  Lol looking forward to Exalted with HoJ :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2010, 09:02:42 AM »
A possible 1000G*  says players will have to redeem DW not kill him (ie get him to x health then cutscene happens and Alexstrasza saves Dw... :D)

We don't redeem Aspects, we just kill them.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »
Leave me with my dreams Taith :D  After all DW is a corrupt aspect, in that the Old Gods have been grooming him on MSN for millenia? ;)

EDIT: http://www.wowwiki.com/Eranikus  Seems theres at least one Aspect that was redeemed.

Anyways, Grim batol preview:

During a bloody civil war among the three dwarven factions of Ironforge, the Bronzebeards ousted the Wildhammer and the Dark Iron clans from the ancient corridors of the mountain city. In the wake of the defeat, the Wildhammers ventured north and forged a new home, Grim Batol, in the mountains of what is now the Twilight Highlands. However, although they worked tirelessly to create a better future for themselves, the Dark Irons, who established the city of Thaurissan in the Redridge Mountains, could not move beyond the memory of their defeat. Consumed by the desire for revenge and desperate to control the entire dwarven region of Khaz Modan, the Dark Irons led a two-pronged assault on the Bronzebeards in Ironforge and the Wildhammers in Grim Batol. Despite their past differences, these two embattled rivals joined forces and drove the Dark Irons out of Khaz Modan, decimating the armies of the treacherous clan's sorcerer-thane, Thaurissan. Yet victory carried grave consequences. Although Thaurissan's wife and queen, Modgud, was slain during the attack on Grim Batol, her death tainted the mountain fortress. While the Bronzebeards rebuilt their glorious city of Ironforge, the Wildhammers felt forever changed by the horrors they witnessed at Grim Batol. They fled their cursed home and never returned.

The abandoned city's defiled corridors later became home to a number of nefarious plots. When the Demon Soul was discovered by the Dragonmaw clan and used to force Alexstrasza's drakes to serve the Horde, Grim Batol acted as the red Dragon Aspect's torturous prison. The Dragonmaw held Grim Batol through the Second War, before they were driven out by Deathwing, who planned to steal Alexstrasza's eggs. Yet as Deathwing carried out his plan, the Demon Soul was destroyed, and the powers locked within were returned to Alexstrasza, Ysera, Nozdormu, and Malygos. Deathwing narrowly escaped an assault by the four re-empowered Dragon Aspects, although he did not leave empty-handed; in his grasp were the eggs of Alexstrasza. For their vile transgressions, the fleeing Dragonmaw were shown no mercy, and the struggle came to a quick end. Members of the red dragonflight were left behind to keep watch over Grim Batol, and for years they successfully guarded its desolate halls from further intrusion... until the arrival of the Twilight's Hammer, a sinister cult who worshipped Azeroth's malefic Old Gods.

The cult, seduced by Deathwing's thirst for absolute domination over Azeroth, has claimed the Twilight Highlands as its base of operations. The black dragonflight has driven off the agents of the red dragonflight who guarded Grim Batol so that it may be used as a fortress for training Deathwing's minions. The halls of Grim Batol run so deep into the highlands that it is unknown to what twisted end the Twilight's Hammer is using this doomed dwarven marvel.

Called to action by the red dragonflight in the Twilight Highlands, players will be charged with putting a decisive end to the foul machinations developing within the level-85, 5-player dungeon of Grim Batol. The ferocity of the enemies within should not be underestimated, and with the assistance of brave Red Drakes and a handful of explosives, players can thin the ranks of Grim Batol's occupiers through bombing flights into the ruined city's corridors. Regardless of how successful these attacks might be, General Umbris will not allow his army to fall so quickly. In the end, adventurers will be left to their own devices, venturing into the darkest recesses of the dwarven fortress, where a nightmarish enemy is taking shape. Will you be able to uncover Grim Batol's secrets and emerge unscathed, or will your destiny be sealed within this tortured city, like so many brave heroes before you?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:07:50 PM by Mangala »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 04:24:56 PM »
http://www.wow.com/2010/06/29/stockton-max-of-6-bosses-per-raid-in-cataclysm/

Some very important information was released about Cataclysm yesterday on a G4 Xplay segment, discussing a Cataclysm storyline preview. However, some awesome pieces of news came out unrelated to the story at all. Check out the video to hear Tom Chilton, Cory Stockton and others discuss some pretty cool reveals. The two new important pieces of information were:

* Auto-quest complete technology: Players are able to complete quests in the field and immediately begin the next quest in the chain, without running back to the quest giver for the next step in the quest, allowing multiple quests to be completed without returning home. Think of it as Archmage Vargoth's staff on steroids.
    * Raid boss quantity limits: Every raid in Cataclysm will have no more than six raid bosses per instance. Instances like Icecrown Citadel and Ulduar in boss number are gone, and the Serpentshrine Caverns/Tempest Keep model is back in. With a reduced number of raid bosses per raid, three full raids will be available at Cataclysm's launch.

Very interesting, especially the capped raid boss numbers. If you never played World of Warcraft during The Burning Crusade, you missed the proto-concept to these smaller, but more numerous, raids. Serpentshrine and Tempest Keep added up in boss numbers to a full 11-12 boss raid, but was separated into two encounters. Blizzard can now itemize across multiple raids instead of just one environment.

Interesting, I kind of liked shorter raids as an alternative to the ones with many bosses - but dont feel all that great that this is how they are going full stop now - Karazhan was epic (11 or so bosses) and MC was good for that first "real" raid feeling.  ZG & RAQ where both good too - had small number of bosses excluding optionals and could be done fast once strats were down pat. 

I know people have lives and such, but surely lockouts and extendable lockouts make for an easier time in this regard, than simply decreasing the number of bosses and giving x number of raids in a tier all dropping tokens for the same gear?  Oh and I wish that if they stick to this, each raid gives different gear / dirty badges - and I dont just mean stats, I'd much prefer them to hire MOAR artists and give them some freedom. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:23:25 PM by Mangala »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
However, wtf:

* Auto-quest complete technology: Players are able to complete quests in the field and immediately begin the next quest in the chain, without running back to the quest giver for the next step in the quest, allowing multiple quests to be completed without returning home. Think of it as Archmage Vargoth's staff on steroids.

This has me annoyed, as things are too fast already and now this...

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
prolly because ppl like me whine over questgivers being retards for not just saying: "bring me 3 bushels of navellint AND a bucket full of earwax" in one go, but noooooo they dont trust I can remember more than one thing in one go  ::) and make me walk 5 minutes to collect the navellint, then have me walk back to them 5 minutes for them to say "yeah, I know you have killed 2857902 kobolts to collect those 3 bushels, and I KNOW you could have done this at the same time, but well... I am taking you for a retard to which the magical number seven (plus or minus two) does not apply, so now I want you to go back to the SAME areas, kill the SAME creatures (well not exactly the same but you get my drift) and kill another 6267342 kobolts collect the earwax (you know that stuff you could have collected for me in the first go) for me please"

so yeah - GOOD change!
if you think stuff is going too fast, go ask them for MOAR CONTENT (and less xp per monster (and feck the retards that whine about that)), but dont whine about this

(says the one who doesnt have to do all the above atm as EvE is the only MMO he plays, but still knows he is right (and has been annoyed with silly questgivers for more than his share already))

:D
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2010, 08:08:18 PM »
nah I'm with Jon just another step to making wow suitable for vegetables only, this change is purley to make quests ezmode cos people dont like to actually have to play or get involved in the quests. how in a fantasy rpg when you have completed a quest are you able to then learn the next peice of the puzzle without returning to the quest giver? planning quests and completing them in nearby locations then returning to cities is part of the questing skill.

wont be long until all you actually have to do in wow is drool on the keyboard and go for a piss occassionally.

laters elv

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2010, 09:20:45 PM »
nah I'm with Jon just another step to making wow suitable for vegetables only, this change is purley to make quests ezmode cos people dont like to actually have to play or get involved in the quests. how in a fantasy rpg when you have completed a quest are you able to then learn the next peice of the puzzle without returning to the quest giver? planning quests and completing them in nearby locations then returning to cities is part of the questing skill.

wont be long until all you actually have to do in wow is drool on the keyboard and go for a piss occassionally.

laters elv

This is why I'm keen on SWTOR. You *have* to give a damn about interaction with the quest giver, as it will effect your Light/Dark Side points. Plus other stuff I'm sure.

Roll on Spring 2011...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:22:34 PM by Kurtt »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:05 PM »

laters elv

having just reached 80 i can say that this IS most instance runs anyways, only problem is now and again you find someone who cant even drool.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Kathras

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 12:30:09 AM »
I wonder if there whole idea is to push people into the end game as quickly as possible so that they can concentrate development there.
"Uncompromising men are easy to admire." - fictional character

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 08:32:58 AM »
lookout for soothe ingame he just announced he is coming back on the synchronicity forums and i hear he sometimes plays eve with you guys and was in war with the name baptiste.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 11:49:37 AM »
I wonder if there whole idea is to push people into the end game as quickly as possible so that they can concentrate development there.

Would not surprise me, but why put in all they effort they do on dev cycles if thats the case?

Personally I am all about the journey (dont stop believin') being as epic as the endgame content in games such as this, and when the journey feels diluted or rushed then it just doesnt impress me. 

It wont keep me from logging in, but seeing myself blitz the current old world content and then knowing that even when its changed in Cata they have made MOAR ways for me to rush through (and Im the master of finding way to make it so things take time) what is going to be new and fresh old world content just annoys me slightly.  And makes me wonder why they even waste development cycles on it.