Author Topic: ????!  (Read 30250 times)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: ????!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 08:28:11 AM »
Going to Laos in a couple of days - stayed in Pai alot longer than I had intended.

Fell of a moped - not injured much tbh; pulled tendons in my foot during a 2 day jungle trek - that made it interesting.

Other than that Ive been doing some serious relaxing.

Going to Luang Prabang by any chance? Nice place to visit but very quiet. Not alot of night life other than cafe's (unless its changed in the last couple of years) I managed to avoid the sunset visit to the temple ruins on the hill in town (every tourist does that  ::) ) The three days i spent there , i spent mostly cycling up along the course of the river to the waterfalls or up into the mountains. OH and watch out for malaria Its alot worse in Laos than its neighbours.
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 08:31:27 AM »
what Jon forgot to mention: http://jonsimmers.com/words/  ::)
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
what Jon forgot to mention: http://jonsimmers.com/words/  ::)

No change there then...  :D
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 02:21:56 PM »
Jon, regarding your jetlag thingy (posted jan 27th): i saw on television this theory being tested: eating resets biological clock -> dont eat for > 16 hours, before eating breakfast-time in new country. This is supposed to make transit much easier.
So before coming back, eat last meal at 1600 British time, then dont eat (just drink water / tea-w/o-sugar-or-milk) for 16 hours even when on the plane and eat for first time at 0800 at home -> feel good at the price of being hungry for 8-12 hours
ofc, start 'normal' routine at 0800, so dont go to sleep again till evening etc.

[edit]found linkie too (http://www.healthnews.com/medical-updates/fasting-could-beat-jet-lag-1077.html). they say eat after you land, but doesnt make sense to me: eating at breakfast time for first time makes more sense, but you should read the article better than i did. when i saw this on tv, they werent clear about it either)[/edit]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:24:59 PM by Warcold »
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »
oh...!

bit late as you left thailand already, but plenty of opportunity left elsewhere...: bring recipe(s) of good food if you see any chance  :)
(and post here ofc)

(odd thing to ask really as you generally dont go about asking recipes of stuff, but IF you come across one...)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 07:57:20 AM »
Still in thailand till the weekend.

Do have a couple of recipes my lame thai asked the cook at a great spot in Pai for, so when I find them in my luggage I'll post em.  Both for noodle dishes.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 08:11:07 AM »
sweet!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 02:56:46 PM »
So - recipe 1 is for a dish called Rhad Na/Lad Na/Rad Na/Lard nar (lot of names all mean same really)  Its basically noodles in gravy.

Transcribed from my very badly written short hand.

Chinese broccoli or broccoli, leaves separated from stalks and chopped (you can use both the stalks and leaves/heads)

2-3 TB thick black soy sauce
2 TB corn starch
1 TB salty soy beans
1/2 lb Chicken, Pork, Fried Gluten or Fried Tofu, chopped into small even pieces
Prik Nam Som (small green and red chilies chopped with garlic in vinegar)
Sen Mee Noodles - (thin dried vermicelli rice noodles) 3/4 of a package
Ground white pepper
sugar
Soy Sauce/Nam Plaa (Fish Sauce)
2 cups Water or Chicken Broth
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
vegetable oil
Directions:

Soak noodles in warm water for one hour (only if using dried noodles!), then stir-fry in hot vegetable oil in a large wok (preferably nonstick) with about 1 TB of the thick soy sauce, until sauce is evenly distributed and noodles are a medium brown color. Stir continuously and briskly while cooking to prevent sticking. Set aside.

In a separate large skillet or wok, sautee the garlic in 1-2 TB vegetable oil. Add your meat/gluten/tofu, then broccoli stalks, then the water or broth, then 1 TB black soy sauce, 1/2 TB salted soy beans, 1 TB soy sauce or fish sauce (or 1/2 TB of each) and if desired, 1/2 TB oyster sauce.

Dissolve 2 TB cornstarch in warm water, stirring well, then add to wok. Mix well. Add white pepper and a dash of sugar.

Add broccoli leaves and mix until sauce becomes thick. Serve the gravy mixture over the noodles, and serve with the "prik nam som" (vinegar chili peppers) and white pepper.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »
Thanks loads!! Will try soon!
Cool that it also has vegy option, with my gf being one...

Keep em coming!  ;D

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 02:56:38 PM »
Cool that it also has vegy option, with my gf being one...

dump her ;) damn veggies.

will give this a go definetly
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »
Veggies: failing to understand humans dont have the teeth to just eat grass - for an age.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2010, 09:34:51 AM »
Hi from Laos.  Im in Luang Prabang now.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2010, 05:32:05 PM »
pretty merry.  passed on bowling and lao-lao as it turns out this GH has a midnight curfew.  still had a good time, met a few randoms tonight  not one of who had girldreads - while running up a million kip bar tab (fuck all really but still good between a handful of people)

Luang prabang is very much tourist aimed since I was last here.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2010, 07:45:56 AM »
Going to Luang Prabang by any chance? Nice place to visit but very quiet. Not alot of night life other than cafe's (unless its changed in the last couple of years) I managed to avoid the sunset visit to the temple ruins on the hill in town (every tourist does that  ::) ) The three days i spent there , i spent mostly cycling up along the course of the river to the waterfalls or up into the mountains. OH and watch out for malaria Its alot worse in Laos than its neighbours.

Aye im there now, been before and town has changed somewhat since my last visit.  Much more of an upmarket feel to most places, even they are still cheap pricewise.

Done the sunset before and got roped into it again last night before dinner by a girl I know who hadnt done it yet and was leaving town right after.

Theres still not much of a latenight scene, most people hit a bar or two until they close at 11.30 and then its either back to guesthouses and beer, or head off to a bowling alley away from the old town that serves whisky and laolao till 3 or so.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
plenty of pictures on the blogg then please old chap. im curious to see how much its changed since i was there  :)