Author Topic: companions?  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
companions?
« on: December 26, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »
Think the npc's from skirmishes in lotro...

I guess each class can get in a sense like a merc that helps you fight and follows you around forever and supposedly can even fill group roles if you cant find someone else to do it. Curious too see how they are playing this, either as a Single player or with 1 friend thats just online or actual MMO mechanics but ability to solo alone and not standing around LFG for ever(ie dungeons, named, raiding, etc).

Not commenting on the mechanic, as a) I havent done it enough in lotro; B) my mmoadd makes it probably a good thing c) I'd probably sound bitter - and have people pointing at B and blaming me :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: companions?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 09:58:55 AM »
Bumping this.

I have a questions about companions.

Any forum threads on swtor or faqs about them.

Primarily can they be used in instances on an OPTIONAL basis / how does not being good or evil affect them / how do they skill up etc etc

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:31:28 AM »
I'll try and answer these as best I can.

They can be used in instances to fill an empty group slot. So, in a group of 3, you could use someone's companion to fill the fourth slot. Or two slots if required, etc. You don't have to though.

Your force alignment can effect their affection for you, if I recall correctly. Some character love it when you flush folk out airlocks, others don't.

As for levelling up, I assume that they're just your level when you summon them, but I'm not sure on this one.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
what i do know from reading is that their skills change as you level

i.e. one companion may be a tank when first received, however upon levelling gains more dps  and aoe abilities offering 2 roles for him/her to fill.

This is the area i see most of the balance issues arising from, hopefully they gathered enough data in beta to negate that.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:44:45 AM »
what i do know from reading is that their skills change as you level

i.e. one companion may be a tank when first received, however upon levelling gains more dps  and aoe abilities offering 2 roles for him/her to fill.

This is the area i see most of the balance issues arising from, hopefully they gathered enough data in beta to negate that.

Just as long as they level when I do, that was my main concern - along with optional instance use - as its my main gripe with the skirmish chars in lotro :S

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 12:52:39 PM »
New way to troll pugs (bad ones, not the odd nice people we may find).

[smg id=1 type=full align=center width=400]

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 01:01:47 PM by Mangala »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 05:27:35 PM »
anyone i find rolling for companions will be kicked/leave group and put on ignore.

That shit will not be tolerated, unless permission asked for/recieved
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »
What if you and I are pugging with 2 total retards, and I do it? ;)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 05:30:28 PM »
to me companion is always secondry for use when its impossible to get anybody else and for solo play so i wouldnt ever roll for a companion anyway.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
What if you and I are pugging with 2 total retards, and I do it? ;)

well we would be on mumble and laughing at the nobs so permission would probably be implied ;)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
Or we make the people who want to do it, get on mumble and SING for us, if we like it they can roll, if not then haha.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »
OMFG Bounty Hunters get a
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoilers content.
companion :D

Offline Chug

• HoJ Members
  • Cogniscenti
  • i'm a bounty hunter, lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »
aye, I actually got so giddy when i found that out. So happy i'm rolling a Bounty Hunter.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoilers content.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:17:18 PM »
I know you can only have 1 with you at a time (on away missions lolololol :D), but can the rest effectively go picking cotton when you arent killing shit with them?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »
I know you can only have 1 with you at a time (on away missions lolololol :D), but can the rest effectively go picking cotton when you arent killing shit with them?

yup

you can have them crafting or missioning when they aint with you.