Author Topic: Moria, here I come!  (Read 5704 times)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Moria, here I come!
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »
Fitzer hit 50 this morning :)

WARNING: Lots of ranting follows.

Fitzer will now head to Moria, probably for good (except the skirmishes and if there at some point is kinship runs to do epic quests or visit dungeons). I simply *hate* the idiocy of running around for absolutely *nothing* most of the time playing in Misty Moutains, Angmar or Eregion (I didn't check out Forochel, but I seriously doubt that would have been any different).

I wonder who are the people who thought it is a brilliant idea to make quest like "Ride to arses end to find a bag, ride back across half the world, oh Gandalf knows a good trick why dont you visit him (in the exactly other end of the world) and then ride back to me so I can then send you to the arses end again to do something equally silly" is *fun* or exiting o rmentally challenging? The council of north quests must be the most phukked up quests ever seen however; you are required to get back and forrth constantly, and you don't get the travel location until you have completed the quests. Hooray for brilliant thinking! Don't we all love to spend 90% of the game getting back and forth between the quest locations and quest givers? Eragion is only slightly worse, as you don't have access to swift travel until you've completed the quests (but the snail version really is slow; I timed it, it takes more time with the travel route to get from Rivendel to what ever that quest hub in south west corner than it gets to ride there by yourself (the travel route goes halfway to Bree before turning turning south, a royal idea of excellence that too), of course you can visit the fridge or toilet while the travel route mount is moving but there is only so many times one has to visti the fridge or toilet in an hour...

In Moria the quest hubs are close to travel routes. I already did some quests there, although it was slightly dangerous. Then again, I *like* a challenge, I play to amuse my self, and I get more amused when I overcome difficult odds. However, my fuse burned with the back and forth moving there too, as the travel locations require level 50 (now that is fair enough, it is a requirement you basically need to do quests there, not the retarded system of "you get the travel location when you don't need it anymore".

/END OF RANTING

I have high hopes for Moria. The quests I did had a very good feeling, and they felt pretty challenging too. I hope the challenge level stays up even in the quests further in in Moria :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Moria, here I come!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »
You'll soon miss sunlight :)

Moria is ok though - its gotten better for Beo since the paidforpatch what with combat changes and the like.  Also a few instances etc there we could be doing when you get to level with them - plus some in Hollin etc too :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »
You'll soon miss sunlight :)
When I do that, I know I can go back to ride ride ride ride while amusing myself staring at the sun-lit landscape (unless it is night time (I do love the full moon in LOTRO though, sadly not visible too often), or unless being in Angmar where there seems to be a constant dusk all the time) ;)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 05:52:21 AM »
Actually did some quests in Eregion yesterday. 18 quests, to be precise. As I did imagine, when I got the first swift-travel route, there were no more quests in the hub for me. Splendid. I suppose when I complete two quests more, and get the swift-travel route to the next hub, I will run out of quests there too.

No wonder the whole area was deserted. Didn't see a single player in the area, even though I had to ride, in prime gaming time, around *a lot* (always so enjoyable that the quests are on the other side of the map of the quest giver, then you ride back after completing, only to get a followup to ride across the map, etc etc ad nauseautum). Haven't actually seen any other players in the whole are so far (at least I have got to mine ancient ores a lot as there is no competition of them, should help me get prospecting to master level :p); although I once saw a hunter type in the local chat "Library or School?", so there must have been at least one other player in the area at the same time as I've been there. The whole idea behind the "you'll get the travel route when you don't need it anymore" is simply said retarded beyond belief; I hope the stupidness is fixed by the time I start to get another toon to these levels, as I'd hate to go through this retardedness again (and my hat is off in awe when in the presence of people like Garry, who have already done this several times; your fuse sure is not as short as mine :D).

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »
I found Eregion quite enjoyable on Kurtt, and didn't really notice/mind the travelling. Of course, I've had huge breaks between play phases with Lotro, so maybe if I'd levelled him in one block I'd have noticed more.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:06 AM »
The quests in themselves were fun. Though they were basically the "kill 20 boars" variation, but as there are signatures patrolling in the area and the mobs were in some of the quests on higher level than Fitzer, there was some tactical thinking involved too. It's just the traveling around part which annoys me ("Kill 15 worms on the other side of the map and get back to me" "Ok, now go and kill the boss of the worms who is where you just were and come back to me" "Cool, now we are friends and you can ride here in the future, please move on to the next quest hub and never come back again" gnaaah gnaaah gnaaaaaaaaargh).

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:07:46 PM »
yeah, the lack of foresight of the quest givers annoys me too regularly: "go back to the same area I already sent you to twice and kill 10 of the creatures you already killed 50 off because they got in the way, but who don't count cause that's not in the script"
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »
yeah, the lack of foresight of the quest givers annoys me too regularly: "go back to the same area I already sent you to twice and kill 10 of the creatures you already killed 50 off because they got in the way, but who don't count cause that's not in the script"

failing of ALL MMOs that one, but then its to make the content lsat longer ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:45:10 PM »
These MMO developers must have black, black souls when they sit there and say 'I know, lets make em run there and back again to make the content last longer!'. (See what I did there?  8))

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »
These MMO developers must have black, black souls when they sit there and say 'I know, lets make em run there and back again to make the content last longer!'. (See what I did there?  8))

:)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 05:09:43 PM »

tricksie hobbits
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 06:18:21 PM »
The original inventor of that idea made them go back and forth only once. It's not like Bilbo was told by Gandalf in Hobbiton:
"Hey my mate Bilbo, go and scout out this Lonely Mountain, will you? I'll wait for your report here in Hobbiton."
"Oh, there is a dragon there? Could you please go and check out if there is any backdoor there, I'll wait you here in Hobbiton."
"There is a backdoor? Good! Please go to Ered Luin and find me a stout dwarf called Thorin, and then come back here to Hobbiton"
"I see you found Thorin. Now we need 12 more dwarves. Here are their addresses, please go and round them up one at a time, and bring them here to Hobbiton"
"Ok Bilbo, we now have the force gathered. Pack up and start moving towards the Lonely Mountain. Oh, you may also from now on swift travel to Gondamon in Ered Luin, although you should never ever have any business there from now on."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 06:44:42 PM »
The original inventor of that idea made them go back and forth only once. It's not like Bilbo was told by Gandalf in Hobbiton:
"Hey my mate Bilbo, go and scout out this Lonely Mountain, will you? I'll wait for your report here in Hobbiton."
"Oh, there is a dragon there? Could you please go and check out if there is any backdoor there, I'll wait you here in Hobbiton."
"There is a backdoor? Good! Please go to Ered Luin and find me a stout dwarf called Thorin, and then come back here to Hobbiton"
"I see you found Thorin. Now we need 12 more dwarves. Here are their addresses, please go and round them up one at a time, and bring them here to Hobbiton"
"Ok Bilbo, we now have the force gathered. Pack up and start moving towards the Lonely Mountain. Oh, you may also from now on swift travel to Gondamon in Ered Luin, although you should never ever have any business there from now on."

you sir are a pessimist

but lol all the same :)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
Got a couple repeatable quests in Eregion yesterday, the other was called Flight of the Dragons, and the other was something else (duh) but it was still a red quest.

Anyway, the quests required an item each, I happened to have one in the bank, checked the AH for the other and got it for 25 silver. Thinking I'd be getting a motherload of XP, item XP and some relics if I turn in the items, I chipped in the 25 silver and did head back to Eregion. Dreaming of some easy exp and easy money I turned in the items.

Turned out the items were needed to open up the next part on the quests ("speak to the quest giver to travel into the instance" -type quests), and I got nothing for my "massive" efforts so far. Small fellowship quests for level 54 and 58, so I guess they might be slightly too difficult for my level 52 burg (and I didn't want to travel and check the instances, in case I need to start the quest from start again, ie get the items again). If somebody needs (or wants to visit) either or both of those, I'd be more than happy to tag along to check out them :)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 09:48:14 AM »
Got a couple repeatable quests in Eregion yesterday, the other was called Flight of the Dragons, and the other was something else (duh) but it was still a red quest.

Anyway, the quests required an item each, I happened to have one in the bank, checked the AH for the other and got it for 25 silver. Thinking I'd be getting a motherload of XP, item XP and some relics if I turn in the items, I chipped in the 25 silver and did head back to Eregion. Dreaming of some easy exp and easy money I turned in the items.

Turned out the items were needed to open up the next part on the quests ("speak to the quest giver to travel into the instance" -type quests), and I got nothing for my "massive" efforts so far. Small fellowship quests for level 54 and 58, so I guess they might be slightly too difficult for my level 52 burg (and I didn't want to travel and check the instances, in case I need to start the quest from start again, ie get the items again). If somebody needs (or wants to visit) either or both of those, I'd be more than happy to tag along to check out them :)

I've still got this quest in my log, so lets try and get it done if we manage to get going at lunch time.