Author Topic: Inglorious Basterds  (Read 9876 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Inglorious Basterds
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:08:11 PM »
Is a fantastic movie you will go see it.

Honestly a cracker, its not action packed, historically accurate or full of blood.

What it is, is a well written, sometimes funny, beautifully shot (like all Tarantino films) piece of "what if" fantasy.

But dont go looking for a fast paced action movie, as it aint that, heck most of the "action" takes place around various tables, the beauty is in the script and the slightly over the top acting. It does have a few violent moments, scalping scenes and a strangulation scene come to mind but these arent gratuitous.

It was one of my most enjoyed movies so far this year so i recommend you get to that outside place and visit a cinema ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Inglorious Basterds
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:48:08 PM »
Is a fantastic movie you will go see it.

Honestly a cracker, its not action packed, historically accurate or full of blood.

What it is, is a well written, sometimes funny, beautifully shot (like all Tarantino films) piece of "what if" fantasy.

But dont go looking for a fast paced action movie, as it aint that, heck most of the "action" takes place around various tables, the beauty is in the script and the slightly over the top acting. It does have a few violent moments, scalping scenes and a strangulation scene come to mind but these arent gratuitous.

It was one of my most enjoyed movies so far this year so i recommend you get to that outside place and visit a cinema ;)

What he said :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »
He used the "O" word...
<Hides under the bed with his imaginary laptop>
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:49:24 AM »
Heh, I myself was quite disappointed by it.
The only character that really shined was the SS-officer Landa (or wazzisname), the rest was a bit meh imo.
But maybe I was influenced by the very negative review I read one hour prior to seeing the movie and us being late, which got us seated at the 2nd and 3rd chair of the 2nd row. Dunno...  :-\
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:18:50 AM »
Heh, I myself was quite disappointed by it.
The only character that really shined was the SS-officer Landa (or wazzisname), the rest was a bit meh imo.
But maybe I was influenced by the very negative review I read one hour prior to seeing the movie and us being late, which got us seated at the 2nd and 3rd chair of the 2nd row. Dunno...  :-\

hey im sure its not everyones cup of tea ;)

but i agree the SS officer was really good, and i make a point of not reading reviews before i go see any movie for exactly that reason.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 08:16:01 AM »
Colonel Landa was brilliant, but I also liked the scenes in which the French girl was having to control herself while around Nazis, the Nazis' casual racism and the trademark Tarantino Mexican standoffs.

On a related note, is there no way to hide spoilers in this forum software?
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:36:20 AM »
Well, think my expectations were too high strung. The usual plot desc of the movie (a small squad of soldiers going to EUR to kick 'zee zhermans' asses) covers about... 5%? of the movie and it didn't really have much thrilling scenes (be it action or dialogues). Plus imo 80% of the cool scenes came from 1 character, out of 3(+) characters that had a major part in the movie.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
There were also some moments of absurdity I found very funny. And I can't think of a way to say more without doing spoilers, so, all I can say is that they were moments of people being ridiculously human.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
Colonel Landa was brilliant, but I also liked the scenes in which the French girl was having to control herself while around Nazis, the Nazis' casual racism and the trademark Tarantino Mexican standoffs.

On a related note, is there no way to hide spoilers in this forum software?

I'll dig up a spoilers tag addon :D

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 07:56:34 PM »
Spoiler tags function added - see tidy forum thread in tech :)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »
One of my favourite scenes was when the actress
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoilers content.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 07:46:56 AM »
I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed at this one. Sure, there were some fun bits, mostly involving Landa - but on the whole, I thought it wasn't half as funny/engaging as Tarentino's other movies.
I guess my biggest problem with it is, that if someone had asked me: "What would you imagine a movie would be like where a bunch of jews hunt nazis during WW2?", I would probably have come up with something very like IB.
Too few surprises!
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 10:32:39 AM »
yeah, now you mention the word 'engaging', maybe that's what I found lacking too (that's prolly what fueled me saying I found Kill Bill better than this one.

and after careful rereading I only now understand this joke  :-[
He used the "O" word...
<Hides under the bed with his imaginary laptop>
once you get it, it's pretty funny  :D

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 06:21:05 PM »
I thought it was excellent and a real return to form for tarantino in my opinion second to resevoir dogs only (always felt pulp ficion was overrated, kill bills ok, jackie brown is crap and death box or whatever its called equally shite). 

stylish, funny, and violent with lots of mexican stand offs as taith said, my favourite bit is where the french girl is feeling sorry for the sniper just after she shoots him as he is made to look remorseful  on the cinema screen about the 300 deaths he causes, and you sart to think ahh he wasn't so bad....... then he shoots her heh . IMO he was the best part, although as previously mentioned the detective ie ecellent as is brad pitt and the french girl

"Scusi!"

its a definite thumbs up from me !

laters elv 

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoilers content.