Author Topic: Star Trek Online  (Read 34654 times)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Online
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:18 AM »
One question - is it possible to do purely the space side of stuff and never do a single avatar related thing ever?

Noooooooo! Step away from the poorly conceived MMO...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2009, 10:19:10 AM »
Hey I can be interested and still hate on it  8)

I mean the trek space combat in some of the single player games has been ok - and for a pve experience it could be better than eve's missions (tbh anything is better than eves missions).

I just dont like the idea of the avatar side of stuff - seen the odd video so far and it looks sub par, and the fact that phasers in that dont seem to work like they do in the shows/movies - ie they fire for 30secs to kill stuff, rather than the movie style of near instant...
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2009, 10:37:28 AM »
One question - is it possible to do purely the space side of stuff and never do a single avatar related thing ever?

id doubt it about 50% of missions ahve some ground related component
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 14, 2009, 03:07:54 PM »
  * Original Star Trek Uniform Set: Three uniforms from the original series (blue, red, yellow).
3 skins on the default uniform that everyone gets. Probably <10 minutes of programming worth.

* Exclusive “KHAAAN!” Emote: An unforgettable moment from the second Star Trek Film. This exclusive emote allows players to relive Kirk’s unforgettable moment of fury, with the timeless cry… “KHAAAN!”
Depending on how graphic the emote is, this could have taken a few hours to create.

* Exclusive Klingon Blood Wine Toast Emote: Raise a glass like a Klingon! Greet other players with an exclusive Klingon gesture –the blood wine toast.
See above.
   * Unique Registry Prefix: Give your ship the coveted NX prefix, seen only on a handful of elite Starfleet vessels like the Defiant, 22nd century Enterprise, and Prometheus.
Custom title. 2 seconds work.
   * Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.
Skill. Depending on similar skills. Assuming there's a similar skill, probably <1h implementation time.

Sooo.....< 1 day development time, 20 quid x several thousand extra sales.
Dey be smart!   ;)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 14, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »
   * Unique Ship Item: Automated Defense Battery. This Tactical Module grants any ship a passive 360 arc attack power with a short range.
Skill. Depending on similar skills. Assuming there's a similar skill, probably <1h implementation time.

Sooo.....< 1 day development time, 20 quid x several thousand extra sales.
Dey be smart!   ;)

modules are pieces of ship equipment, so this will i assume be available in slightly different flavours anyway.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2009, 08:16:53 AM »
leaked beta footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwcTIqmZ3Gg

Tutorial areas and stuff I know, but footage is footage.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:04:09 AM by Mangala »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #66 on: December 15, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »

Noooooooo! Step away from the poorly conceived MMO...

I played CO didnt I ;)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2009, 09:49:20 AM »
http://startrekonline.com/node/777  Klingon Info...

So let me get this right. Peeekardds, 12of10099's and kuuurkk11s get to level through with pve/quests AND the PVP, Klingons (got nothing 12yroldnamey here Im afraid) have levlling in pvp, along the lines of a wow style system with some WAR stuffs chucked in? BG's Arena's and "Open war Zones" with attendant PVE objectives? Instanced pvp - didnt people learn in WoW or WAR? 

Not sure I'd give this anything more than the free month if I try it on my return.  It needs more conflict!  Hell, how will currency work for all the none federation alinged races, assuming the game makes it to that stage? As after all ferengi actually trade in genuine currency as do many other races in the pantheon in ST?

One thing - when is STO set timewise?  (lets ignore the noneprime timeline set off by the latest trek movie), as the Klingons are all buddy now arent they with the mao's little federation campers?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:54:00 AM by Mangala »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2009, 09:52:50 AM »
Dont get me wrong, I really want it to work, as we do need more scifi mmo's, especially one set in the trekverse (its ripe for conflict in some places, just not pure fed v klingon really), but there just seems to be so much that isnt covered, or so much that is just going to not work. All in the name of rushing it out to make up for the loss of cash from CO, to appease the hardcore trek whiners and to shutt he money men up...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:57:05 AM by Mangala »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2009, 12:48:20 PM »
ok so this is the movies timeline

game starts in 2409 so 22 years after the disappearance of Spock.

from what i gather there is problems with Nausiccan and Gorn raids, Klingons are taking advantage of the weakened state of Romulan Star Empire (whats left of it) and Cardassia, which has caused a rift between them and The Federation making all out war likely.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2009, 02:49:34 PM »
Peeekardds, 12of10099's and kuuurkk11s get to level through with pve/quests AND the PVP, Klingons (got nothing 12yroldnamey here Im afraid)

Kang, Kor and Koloth are the original three Klingons. When Michael Ansara, who played Kang, opens his mouth, you're basically listening to the ultimate Klingon. Everyone else is a wannabe.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2010, 10:03:33 AM »
I've been reading the Kotaku weekly reviews. Any of you guys still playing it and if so, how's it going?
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)