Author Topic: Surnames  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Surnames
« on: October 26, 2008, 11:29:11 PM »
Have you chosen any for your characters yet? 4g is not much I think for this service :D

So far only Beo has one. His full name is currently Beosvir Hammerhand. Very dwarfish, but not OTT dwarvish as many do when they leave the mine for the big-city...
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 08:19:09 AM »
Praedor Ehrewald

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »
Well, given the fact Lellebel is just a funny name (Dutch expression for a talksick girl) I havent thought of a fitting surname yet...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Peter

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:51:12 AM »
Deliberation Mathematicus is what I ended up choosing.

I actually chose it at level 13 or so but had to delay pressing accept and having it work for another seven levels. I had seen the name registrar when examining Altdorf and the bloody idiot allowed me to use the interface to choose a name but didn't give me one when I pressed accept; (PET PEEVE) Like many other things in this not-quite-polished game, there was no sensible error message when trying to do something before you are supposed to (how bloody hard is it to give him an "you must be level 20 to use this option" error message or to prevent you from accessing the option at all until you are allowed to use it?). Same issue with some of the librarians (on the top floor of the library) that allow you to select items, highlight them as if they are purchasable, highlight the buying button - and do nothing when you press it because you do not have a precondition that they do not list. At least the one on the bottom floor selling tactics tell you that you need a tome unlock.

Sorry, letting my inner developer rant again - getting the user interface right is so important for any game intended for a large audience that it annoys me greatly when there are obvious errors or oversights in the easy parts. That reminds me, where's the bloody name completion to the guild/friend list when sending mail? :D

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:25:01 PM »
I'm still terribly undecided about Sven's last name.
I'd have gone with "Hammerhelm", like the Sven Hammerhelm from advanced heroquest (oh good ol' days) that I stole the first name from - but it seems a bit undescriptive of a rune priest.
Ideas are welcome. ;)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Jeremiah

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »
I've gone for Jeffries in honour of Judge Jeffries who scourged the west country after the monmouth rebellion was put down.

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:46:43 PM »
Can't think of anything for either Debaser or Omyi, nothing seems to fit!

Suggestions welcome though :)
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »
Can't think of anything for either Debaser or Omyi, nothing seems to fit!

Suggestions welcome though :)
Since you asked for it...

Debaser Pixie

Omyi Ghod

;D

Offline Peter

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »
Gunnarr, if it wasn't impossible to do in two names, the right name would of course be "Sven Bendt, Born To Rune". If numbers are allowed in names (which they probably aren't), I guess you could be Sven Born2rune.

Lacking that option, some names indicative of purpose would be:
  • Sven Galdr or Sven Galdrar (Galdrer) or variants thereof (Gjalder, Galdor, &etc)
  • Sven Rocksong, Rockbirth, Rockmender &etc
  • Sven Runesmith, Runecaster, Runedriven &etc
  • Sven Futhark (or Futhorc if you prefer Anglo-Saxon), for those few literate people out there, or how about "Futharksen" or "Futhorcson" mixing old and new into something that remains pronouncable?
  • Sven Grudgemender - hey, why not? :D That would be one ambitious dwarf!
  • Sven Anklesmiter - just because you can.

-----

As for Debaser or Omyi, it is going to be hard to challenge Jarkko's suggestions, but since the names are silly anyhow, how about...
  • Debaser Instinct, Debaser Deygo, or Debaser Iamdebedder
  • Omyi Potent, Omyi Scient, or how about Omyi Directional?
I'll leave out the various variants of "Oh my heart, arse, back, balls, god, lord" &etc by which an alternative pronounciation makes obvious silly alternatives. :D

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »
Bah I wish I knew about surnames before I made my White Lion.

My engineer's name is Throbcock Thunderloins, but that's most likely against a whole lot of rules.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »
Gunnarr, if it wasn't impossible to do in two names, the right name would of course be "Sven Bendt, Born To Rune". If numbers are allowed in names (which they probably aren't), I guess you could be Sven Born2rune.
Or simply Sven Borntorune :)

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
Sven Elfhand - following the santa motif ;)

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Thordek

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:28 PM »
Thordek Brickwall, because i (should be) a brickwall. im kind of undecided about a name for my KOTBS(i loves me some tanks) been thinking about Tallyho Chaps and Old Bisquit and other sterotypical english stuff(captain flashheart?). Because i just love how... english you can make the empire guys look. (or just Ultra Stache, because he Will have a big manly 'stache. Like any proper man(and woman (ideally)) of the empire ought to have.)

Offline Axenar

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008, 06:47:46 PM »
Axenar Logiebeard for me as the joke was about him being an inventor so a take on John Logie Baird and Alexandar Graham Bell (hence the first name).