Author Topic: EVE Online Thread  (Read 50563 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: EVE Online Thread
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2008, 02:38:29 PM »
you break the wreck down to usable components (for buidling rigs etc )
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2008, 02:40:13 PM »
Now the thing about targeting, if I understood correctly, I can target 2 targets plus one for each level of Targeting skill, or? So to take full effect of the Destroyer I would have to have Targeting V?
iirc there is also another skill that gives +1 target / level. Dont remember which though.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2008, 02:40:41 PM »
Now the thing about targeting, if I understood correctly, I can target 2 targets plus one for each level of Targeting skill, or? So to take full effect of the Destroyer I would have to have Targeting V?
iirc there is also another skill that gives +1 target / level. Dont remember which though.

Multitasking
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2008, 03:59:14 PM »
Is there any skill/technology that makes wreck-looting faster?
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2008, 04:01:15 PM »
higher salvaging skill ;)

as you will always (eventually) salvage the wreck higher skill increases chance of success

Online Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2008, 04:51:45 PM »
About destroyer or cruiser: I went for a destroyer and am having a hard time sometimes, but dont know what level my missions are, really.
My own plan was to skip the cruiser as my (wrong??) impression is that cruisers arent that good. Was just having a look at ships in EveMon and was thinking about battlecruiser (Hurricane at 36M), heavy assault ship (Munin at 17M) or (heavy) interdictor (Sabre at 5M or Broadsword at 18M)

IME, HACs are the best for PVE in the whole game. The Gallente Ishtar is the PVE 'I win' button with the right skills

Agreed - not flown an Ishtar (a few days from it if I so chose) but HACs are sick. Both my Cerb and my Eagles (Caldari HAC's) are great fun.  Then again doing level 4's in a Harpy or my Ishkur (Assault Frigate) is hilarious too :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »
You can always bung on more salvagers - destroyers are good for the job iirc

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2008, 06:33:10 PM »
You can always bung on more salvagers - destroyers are good for the job iirc

have already been advising of the beauty of cormorant salvaging ;)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2008, 08:34:54 AM »
dont know if this was ever mentioned in here, but it was a  :o for me.

-> attributes DON'T affect how well you do stuff.

only skill does. attributes only affect learning time
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2008, 08:48:23 AM »
Been wondering about skills a bit. Is there some "hidden" value of some skills, or is it exactly what the description says?

For example skill Destroyer -> The Caldari Destroyer description says turrets shoot faster per skill level. While Frigate skill doesn't seem to have any such comments.

Thus, is there any point in having Frigates IV like my toon has (from character creation) compared to Frigates III (which is the required level to fly a Merlin class frigate)?

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 28, 2008, 08:55:32 AM »
Frig IV is required to learn to fly cruisers, afaik :)
Not sure what Frig V would do though!
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 28, 2008, 09:54:16 AM »
Frig IV is required to learn to fly cruisers, afaik :)
Not sure what Frig V would do though!

Interceptors, Covert Operations ships, etc. You'll need it *eventually* but Frig IV, Cruiser IV and BS IV to get you to battleships is probably a good star.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2008, 10:45:24 AM »
I installed EVE on my work-pc so that I can keep skilling... How low can a human fall?  :o   Now I fear somebody notice I have a game installed, and altough I am the boss around here, it would destroy my credibility   :'(

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »
LOL  :D

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2008, 11:28:31 AM »
Your stats "only" increase skillpoint gains, each skill will have a primary and secondary stat assosciated to learning it. The higher those two stats the quicker you gain the skillpoints needed for the skill.

As to what ship skills do, look at the description of each ship.

Merlin
Special Ability: 5% bonus to shield resistances and 10% bonus to Small Hybrid Turret optimal range per skill level.
so where Caldari frigate I gives 5% and 10% as stated, Caldari Frigate V gives 25% and 50%.

example 2: Kestrel

Special Ability: 10% bonus to Kinetic missile damage and 5% bonus to EM, Explosive, and Thermal missile damage per level.
again Caldari Frigate I improves kinetic damage by 10% and others by 5%, Caldari frigate V makes you kinetic missile 50% more powerful and the other 3 25% so.

When you get to ship that require multiple skills

Ill use my Buzzard as this example

Caldari Frigate Skill Bonus: 5% bonus to Missile Kinetic Damage and 5% bonus to Missile Launcher rate of fire per level

Covert Ops Skill Bonus: -98% to -100% reduction in Cloaking Device CPU use per level and 10% reduction to duration/activation time of modules requiring Astrometrics per level

Note: can fit covert cynosural field generators

So at Caldari Frigate V its Kinetic missiles do 25% more damage and all its launchers fire 25% faster. but youll see it also has a listing for covert ops skill.
SO Covert Ops I lets you fit Cloaks in this ship with 2% of CPU normally required by those modules and a 10% boost to Astrometrics modules (i.e. probe launchers)
At Covert Ops V these bonuses become 0 CPU usage from cloaks, and 50% boost to astrometrics modules :)

Hopefully clarifies it for you a little in my clear as mud stylee.