Author Topic: EVE Online Thread  (Read 50565 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: EVE Online Thread
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2008, 10:02:05 AM »
especially because these rigs cant be pulled of your ship once you installed em, like a gun or shield enhancer, the are destroyed when you repack your ship (been wondering about these hardpoints too, so did some research  ::))
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »
Ok then :) Or, in the words of Forrest Gump: That is one less thing to worry about.

;)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2008, 12:07:33 PM »
Jarkko mining is dull but it does get better as you improve your skills, a hulk rips through asteroid belts quicker than you can say supercalafragithingamibob. what i do is settle down to a good book glass of beverage of your choice, and mine ,not so dull when its not your 100% focus, or get a buddy and talk crap whilst mining makes its more fun :)

Mining is pretty much guaranteed income for relatively no risk.
Missioning gives rewards and improves standing with corp you are missioning for which in turn reduces "tax" they take on refining helping your mining become more fruitful.
Salvaging has the potential to increase the cash from missions phenomenally its just not guaranteed that youll get the "good craptm"
Exploration which is where i was dipping before i left and when i get used to the game again will take up is duller than mining but the results (if your lkucky to find a profitable site) can be amazing.

Mining and Missioning require very little skills to begin with (the more you progress the better youll want these to be however)
Salvaging takes a little time to gain the relevant skills but is well worth it imho.
Explration requires a dedicated time sink to get all the suitable skills (and have yet to decide if it was worth it, although the ability to use cloaks is cool in its own right)

i guess my point is mix em up whatever gives YOU the most fun from your toon whilst making the cash to follow the upgrade path you choose its all cool.

and as with all things in Eve the lower the security rating of the system the greater the potential for profit, so go to 0.5 (still patrolled by police) and do your thang, but always have that exit point bookmarked ;)

"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2008, 01:21:29 PM »
I tried to explain to Rico the phenomenon of deadspace yesterday, but didnt really succeed. But now I found the holy linkageTM: http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g65.asp

There are certain areas scattered around space that are unsuitable for warping into due to natural phenomena. These areas were discovered early on and dubbed Deadspace. It is only recently that the strategic usefulness of these special areas has been discovered. Someone had the bright idea that instead of warping or jumping into Deadspace, it might be possible to use the ancient acceleration gates (the precursors to modern gates) to simply catapult vessels, much like a slingshot, through space. This method was successful, giving anyone with the access to the technology the opportunity of building and defending pockets in Deadspace, as well as limiting access to them by controlling the gates. At this point everyone ranging from Empires to pirate factions, and even sentient rogue drones, are scrambling to set up various enterprises in Deadspace. These range from recreational facilities for the wealthy and homes for the elderly to naval shipyards and asteroid processing fields.

plus a lot of info of how to find deadspace, what possible gains are, etc.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2008, 01:35:02 PM »
I'll have Salvage 1 tonight a couple hours after I get home from work (doing the late shift tonight, as those who saw me online earlier today might guess). I'll lose a couple hours of skill-training (Mechanic III will be finished in three hours), but I thought it to be worth it (have a bit hour left on Survey III to learn).

As per the guide-lines in the newbie-guide, I intend to do missions for Caldari Navy, and using www.eve-agents.com I found out Caldari Navy has some nice agents in Nonni IV in region Lonetrek. It's a 0.5 area, and I've already moved most of my stuff there (I think it is a good thing to hang on to extra guns, shields etc for the moment I succeed to blow up my ship).

One thing I am not entirely sure of, and would like to ask advice on. With the money XorX provided I have fitted out my Merlin class frigagte pretty well I think. So far the pirates I've met die to this ship almost faster than is convenient, but the newbie guide suggests I should have a destroyer for Level I missions. Personally I've been thinking of skipping Destroyer skill and go straight for the Moa class Cruiser. However, as I have no experience in the toughness of the Level I missions, should I indeed first go for the Cormorant Destroyer, or should I be able to do ok with the Merlin Frigate?

Also, I did fit my two missile launchers with different missiles, but I wonder if that is necessary. First launcher has Sabretooths which do EM damage, and as far as I understand EM damage takes shields down faster than other types of damage. In the other missile launcher I have Flamebursts which do thermal damage, which if I understand correctly is especially good vs armour. The pirates I've been fighting agaist so far (Guristas) don't have very good resistances vs thermal or especially EM, and they seem all to go down with 1 or 2 missiles (I keep on launching first a Sabretooth and then after a second or so a Flameburst; quite often the Flameburst goes wasted, but I can afford that extra cost of ~10 ISK for being 100% the target dies). Anyway, is there any point in having two different missiles, or should I just make up my mind and load launchers with one type?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 01:37:14 PM by Jarkko »

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2008, 01:43:00 PM »
One thing I am not entirely sure of, and would like to ask advice on. With the money XorX provided I have fitted out my Merlin class frigagte pretty well I think. So far the pirates I've met die to this ship almost faster than is convenient, but the newbie guide suggests I should have a destroyer for Level I missions. Personally I've been thinking of skipping Destroyer skill and go straight for the Moa class Cruiser. However, as I have no experience in the toughness of the Level I missions, should I indeed first go for the Cormorant Destroyer, or should I be able to do ok with the Merlin Frigate?

Destroyers allow you to get ~6 small guns onto multiple targets (i.e. you can shoot lots of frigates).
Cruisers tend to have 3-4 guns but they're bigger, so useful for shooting L2 mission baddies (rather than L1 mission baddies who tend to be frigates & drones)

Also, I did fit my two missile launchers with different missiles, but I wonder if that is necessary. First launcher has Sabretooths which do EM damage, and as far as I understand EM damage takes shields down faster than other types of damage. In the other missile launcher I have Flamebursts which do thermal damage, which if I understand correctly is especially good vs armour. The pirates I've been fighting agaist so far (Guristas) don't have very good resistances vs thermal or especially EM, and they seem all to go down with 1 or 2 missiles (I keep on launching first a Sabretooth and then after a second or so a Flameburst; quite often the Flameburst goes wasted, but I can afford that extra cost of ~10 ISK for being 100% the target dies). Anyway, is there any point in having two different missiles, or should I just make up my mind and load launchers with one type?

Always, always, always, check what the damage type of the mission/NPC you're going to be killing is:

http://www.evegeek.com/npc_damage.php

Different NPCs in EVE are susceptible to/do damage with certain damage types. This will affect what you put in your guns, as well as what you tank with.
Speaking of tanking:

Shield tanking: Shield booster + (Passive shield deflectors) + (active shield deflectors) + (boost amplifier)
Armour tanking: Armour repairer + (passive hull upgrade) + (active armour upgrade)

Pick one, or the other (i.e. shield tank, and get good at shield tanking or Armour tank and get good at armour tanking).

As a very rough rule of thumb: you want ships with lots of 'mid' slots (--) for shield tanking, and lots of low (.) slots for armour tanking

Use EFT to work out what's best for you ship.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
Firstly Destroyers (especially Cormorant ) make excellent Salvaging ships 8 high slots = 4 tractors 4 salvagers on those crazy missions when yo get jumped by 40 rogue drones makes salvaging a breeze. Ive never used it in missions as i prefer missile to the guns that these badboys can fit. It sits in my hanger until ive blown everything to smithereens with my Kestrel then i fly back jump on and salvage.

as to wether its a good idea to mix missile types HELL YEAH.
DAMAGE TYPES USED
Amarr Navy - EM / Thermal
Angels (Minmatar) - Explosive
Angel Cartel (Minmatar) - Kinetic / Explosive / Thermal
Blood Raider (Amarr) - Thermal / EM
Caldari Navy - Kinetic / Thermal
Centii: EM and thermal.
Coreli: Kinetic and thermal.
E of M - Thermal / Kinetic
Freedom Fighters (Minmatar) Thermal / Explosive
Gallente Navy - Kinetic / Thermal
Guristas (Caldari) - Kinetic / Thermal
Khanid (Gallente) - EM / Thermal
Maru - EM / Thermal
Mercenaries - Thermal / Kinetic
Minmatar Fleet - Thermal / Explosive
Mordu’s Legion(Caldari) - Kinetic / Thermal
Odamian - Kinetic / Thermal
Republic Fleet - Explosive / Kinetic / EM
Rogue Drones - Thermal / Kinetic / EM
Rogue Pirate - EM/Explosive/Kinetic
Sansha's Nation (Amarr) - EM / Thermal
Serpentis (Gallente) - Thermal / Kinetic
The Seven - All
Thukker(Minmatar) - Kinetic/Thermal/Explosive
Zazzmatazz - All

so fit suitable hardeners etc

BEST DAMAGE TYPES TO USE
Ammar Navy - EM (Shield) / Exp (Armor)
Angels (Minmatar) - Exp
Blood Raiders (Amarr) - Thermal
Caldari Navy - Exp / Thermal / Kinetic
Gallente Navy - EM (Shield) / Exp (Armor)
Guristas (Caldari) - Kinetic (Armor)/ EM (shield)
Khanid - EM (Shield) / Exp (Armor)
Maru - Kinetic / Thermal
Mercenary – Thermal
Minmatar - EM (Shield) / Exp (Armor)
Mordu’s Legion (Caldari) - Thermal & Kinetic
Odamian - EM (Shield) / Exp (Armor)
Rogue Pirate - EM (Shield) / Exp (Armor)
Sansh’s Nation (Amarr) - Thermal
Serpentis (Gallente) - Thermal / Kinetic
Zazzmatazz - EM (Shield) / Exp (Armor)

So as you see good to mix types ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2008, 01:50:35 PM »
Well, having 2 different kind of missiles sounds logical, and I dont see anything against it either.

About destroyer or cruiser: I went for a destroyer and am having a hard time sometimes, but dont know what level my missions are, really.
My own plan was to skip the cruiser as my (wrong??) impression is that cruisers arent that good. Was just having a look at ships in EveMon and was thinking about battlecruiser (Hurricane at 36M), heavy assault ship (Munin at 17M) or (heavy) interdictor (Sabre at 5M or Broadsword at 18M)

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »
About destroyer or cruiser: I went for a destroyer and am having a hard time sometimes, but dont know what level my missions are, really.
My own plan was to skip the cruiser as my (wrong??) impression is that cruisers arent that good. Was just having a look at ships in EveMon and was thinking about battlecruiser (Hurricane at 36M), heavy assault ship (Munin at 17M) or (heavy) interdictor (Sabre at 5M or Broadsword at 18M)

IME, HACs are the best for PVE in the whole game. The Gallente Ishtar is the PVE 'I win' button with the right skills

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
HAC = heavy assault cruiser?

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2008, 01:57:25 PM »
Firstly Destroyers (especially Cormorant ) make excellent Salvaging ships 8 high slots = 4 tractors 4 salvagers on those crazy missions when yo get jumped by 40 rogue drones makes salvaging a breeze. Ive never used it in missions as i prefer missile to the guns that these badboys can fit. It sits in my hanger until ive blown everything to smithereens with my Kestrel then i fly back jump on and salvage.

wouldnt it just be easier to fit 2 tractors and 2 salvagers on your destroyer and move all the guns from your frigate to destroyer? bit slower salvaging, but saves you 50% of the trips.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2008, 02:00:14 PM »
nope i have 0 gun skills ;)

Kestrel is a missile frigate 4 launcher pawnage

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2008, 02:13:10 PM »
Destroyers allow you to get ~6 small guns onto multiple targets (i.e. you can shoot lots of frigates).
Cruisers tend to have 3-4 guns but they're bigger, so useful for shooting L2 mission baddies (rather than L1 mission baddies who tend to be frigates & drones)
Right, I did actually look into that :)  The Cormorant has 7 slots for guns and can target up to 7 thingies. Now the thing about targeting, if I understood correctly, I can target 2 targets plus one for each level of Targeting skill, or? So to take full effect of the Destroyer I would have to have Targeting V?

Does the above also mean I'll be facing crap loads of frigates and drones, and thus my Merlin would have the same chances of survival as a snowball in hell?

Then again, the Coruscant has only one Low slot and four Medium slots, which I thought to be quite few. But I guess the idea is to shoot things down before they start to seriously hurt.

Always, always, always, check what the damage type of the mission/NPC you're going to be killing is:

http://www.evegeek.com/npc_damage.php
I actually have that table printed :)  I'd gone for Sabretooth missiles vs Guristas, but I got as a reward 1000 Flamebursts from some mission, and I thought I'd better use them for something  :-\
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:20:51 PM by Jarkko »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2008, 02:22:24 PM »
for 7 targets ,yup, youd need targeting 5 but even with 7 guns would you be wanting a single turret on each target?

ive found i mange well in level 1 missions with 4 max targets (even that is overkill at times).

and if i remember my level 3 mish experiences in a drake i managed just fine with 4-5 targets locked at once.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »
Explain salvaging to me please :) Is it simply a way to make the fly to wreck-open cargo-loot what's inside thing faster or does it come up with extra stuff in addition to the cargo, like "Skinning" in WoW?
In this case, do you need to get the cargo first before salvaging it? I find the picking up cargo from wrecks extremely slow and cumbersome - expecially after nuking ~10 pirates, going to each wreck in turn makes me want to /wrist.
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.