Author Topic: EVE Online Thread  (Read 50847 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: EVE Online Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »
Well, I´m not really what you might call a highbee... Played this game one week, before I switched to WoW trial.
I fly a destroyer (with gun-turrets), which is esp good in killing frigates if I´m not mistaken. The cargohold isnt too small, 400 m3, but not nearly big enough to be a hauler.
But maybe with some time I can provide a 'scary battleship'.

Of course, I could make some alt for helping here, but it will be an alt, planning to keep Safran as main.
My main is prolly long way from you guys anyway, but maybe not, and maybe he can be useful somewhere in the corp, would be nice!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 06:29:36 PM by Warcold »
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2008, 06:30:36 PM »
i know form experiences Beos toon Thera has nice refining skills, plus flies a freighter to get stuff about ,and she also has some mining foreman ability (not sure if this has improved since she defected from me to Beo :)  )

and im sure other have nastier ships than my stealth tackler type ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
Beo, mebbe time to make EVE-dedicated directory? Next to WAR and LOTRO I mean...

Although, wouldnt be HoJ of course... But it's convenient   :P
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2008, 06:46:13 PM »
Seconded after all its your fault for whetting me appetite again
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2008, 08:33:25 PM »
Aye - we have enough collective knowledge to fill a few boards :)

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2008, 12:09:22 AM »
Small update, since I'm rather happy with my progress in my first 24 hours: ;)
  • I'm the proud owner of a Caldari Bantam frigate outfitted with 2 basic mining lasers and 2 extended cargo bays, in addition to a shield booster and shield extender.
    Hoping these will give me enough time to warp out, as the tub is essentially unarmed.  ::)
    I'm planning to put some more points in mining tomorrow, to upgrade the mining lasers. Thinking of getting Miners II, when I get to mining IV.
  • I've managed to get a somewhat steady income by mining. Even though I'm most likely getting ripped off by selling at the nearest station, 25k ISK per mining run isn't bad for a newb like me. And that was without the extended cargo space. :)
  • I have the feeling my poor little Ibis has gone about as far as it can go for ratting (3 or 4 missions out of the 10 initial ones down now) - next step will be to outfit the condor with a battle setup and kill some more npc pirates! Harrrr!

Suggesions for the outfitting of the Condor would be much appreciated.
Also I'm looking forward to the joint mining adventure...but I suppose there's still some training to be done before that. What kind of mining vessel would be good for such an enterprise? Would the Caldari Osprey do or am I not thinking big enough and should I aim for a mining barge before bugging you? ;)

"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2008, 12:29:49 AM »
chuck it

2 standard missile launcher Is
Small shield extender
small shield booster

wack in an Inertia stabilizer (if you trained hull upgrades) for fast retreat if shields are gonna fail (docking at a station insta recharges shields and cap)

its not pretty but it will do level 1 missions no probs just swap missile types depending on who your fighting.

and your left with a high slot to fit say a salvager or something else ;)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »
Or if you have Caldari frigates III upgrade to a Kestrel for  4 missile launchers ;)  (cost about 230k for ship which could buy about 8-9 condor :)  )

this is what im using on my level 1 missions at the mo its pretty much insta kill with 1 salvo per rat (except mission targets which can take a bit longer)  fit it as the condor above but with 2 extra launchers and an extra extender ;)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2008, 05:46:01 AM »
Bah, curse on you all  >:(

I went and started a new trial last night after all. Which means I haven't slept much last night (been at work already for over an hour) :P

I did the tutorials, and then went exploring a bit the surroundings. Then I scrapped that toon and started from scratch again.

My character (called Swuul) has now followed the tutorial through, done some mining to get cash for Cybernetics I (as Vac said I should get, altough I am not quite sure why  ;D) and spent it all on that book (but had only a short while to spend on training it actually). Now while I am at work Swuul studies Spaceship Command IV  (couldn't think of anything else that would last for more than a few hours and that I would be needing at some near future).

I suppose mining is not a too good source of money at this stage, I get about 9k ISK per mining-run. The newbie guide says I'll be getting some new ship, if I just stick with my agent and do all the tasks he gives to me. I wonder if I need to get any skills to use that ship (and wonder what that ship is...). I guess the smartest thing to do for now is to do the quests my agent is providing, and do mining etc later on, when I have access to better ships (or even drones, seen mining drone swarms at the asteroid belts I've been mining at, and they do look mighty effective) and have had time to upgrade my Mining skill?

Any further advice would be appreciated. Below is the current status of my toon:

BASIC INFO
=======================================================================
     Name: Swuul
     Race: Caldari
Bloodline: Achura
  Balance: 16 597,38 ISK

Intelligence: 13,26
    Charisma:  4,08
  Perception: 10,20
      Memory:  7,14
   Willpower: 11,22

SKILLS
=======================================================================
Electronics, 3 Skills, 11 329 Points
: Electronic Warfare II (2)                2 829/512 000 Points
: Electronics III (1)                      8 000/256 000 Points
: Electronics Upgrades I (2)               500/512 000 Points
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Engineering, 6 Skills, 113 583 Points
: Energy Systems Operation II (1)          1 415/256 000 Points
: Engineering III (1)                      8 000/256 000 Points
: Shield Compensation II (2)               2 829/512 000 Points
: Shield Emission Systems IV (2)           90 510/512 000 Points
: Shield Operation III (1)                 8 000/256 000 Points
: Shield Upgrades II (2)                   2 829/512 000 Points
Gunnery, 3 Skills, 12 244 Points
: Gunnery II (1)                           1 415/256 000 Points
: Sharpshooter II (2)                      2 829/512 000 Points
: Small Hybrid Turret III (1)              8 000/256 000 Points
Industry, 1 Skill, 250 Points
: Mining I (1)                             250/256 000 Points
Learning, 3 Skills, 47 110 Points
: Iron Will IV (1)                         45 255/256 000 Points
: Learning I (1)                           440/256 000 Points
: Spatial Awareness II (1)                 1 415/256 000 Points
Missile Launcher Operation, 4 Skills, 523 329 Points
: Defender Missiles II (2)                 2 829/512 000 Points
: Missile Bombardment V (2)                512 000/512 000 Points
: Missile Launcher Operation III (1)       8 000/256 000 Points
: Standard Missiles I (2)                  500/512 000 Points
Science, 2 Skills, 8 371 Points
: Cybernetics (none) (3)                   371/768 000 Points
: Science III (1)                          8 000/256 000 Points
Spaceship Command, 2 Skills, 99 295 Points
: Caldari Frigate IV (2)                   90 510/512 000 Points
: Spaceship Command III (1)                8 785/256 000 Points
:  (Currently training to level IV, completes 27.11.2008 22:09:20)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »
I am wondering what to do. Stick with Safran Foer with 4 int, 18 perc, 7 cha, 12 willp and 5 memory and turn a hardy fighter out of him to protect you lot, or to roll a toon that I will spec to trading and give him an industrial ship (something like Hoarder (5k m3 cargo space, about 430k isk) and later Mammoth (5.6k m3 cargo space, about 800k isk))

Safran could do some mining and running, but won't fetch much money with 7 cha. He'd do better as fighter/salvager as that is what he will be specced for. Will be able to salvage in 1 or 2 days.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »
Aaah, I finally figured out something on myself  :o

There are different type of ores. Mining Dense Veldspar nets me 12k per run, instead of the normal Veldspar. Which means I get money way faster. Which means I can buy those lowbie books :)  So, I have now added Navigation and Afterburner to my skills (in addition to the Cyberthingy I learned too) :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 26, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
couple of ore links :)  as you see the "better" rocks give a 5% or 10% increase in minerals.

http://www.evegeek.com/ore_info.php

http://eve.grismar.net/ore/

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 26, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
Nice, somebody just gave me 50k ISK like that. I tried to smell rotten dogs, but as far as I can see it was a genuine gift.

Which means I am half way to buying a Merlin :)

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 26, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
Nice, somebody just gave me 50k ISK like that. I tried to smell rotten dogs, but as far as I can see it was a genuine gift.

Which means I am half way to buying a Merlin :)

Chat at XorX when I get on tonight, I'll hook you up with 10M like everyone else.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »
Chat at XorX when I get on tonight, I'll hook you up with 10M like everyone else.
Errr.... 10M like in 10 million? Isn't that quite a lot?

Newbie alert: And where is XorX?