Author Topic: EVE Online Thread  (Read 50906 times)

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
Re: EVE Online Thread
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
To max out learning: yes. But do you want that?

Two of my characters *do* have learning maxed.

BUT this is because I spent 2 years away from the game 'ghost-training' them. So could take a very long term view.

For learning skills go for IVs, Cybernetics I and +3 implants. That should get your core skills into the 20s (especially if you min-maxed). This is enough to make most of the difference, the additional 2 points *do* make a difference, but a matter of a day in a skill that takes 40 days. Yes it all adds up, yes it is worth it, but only if you can take a *really* long term view.

Of course, having reactivated all 4 of my accounts now, I find that the new character creation gets you a lot further than it used to - you really *can* make a difference on day 1.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2008, 10:56:02 AM »
But I wonder what the use of maxing skill learning is, because there are players around that have played the game for so much longer than you.
Errr... I don't know :D Which is why I asked what skills do. But I get from Vac and Beo that the need is to first set a goal, and then train skills for that. I really really want to be as effective as possible (in my own weird ways) when I play a game, and I want to be part of a team. And I believe at least some people are more ready to accept members in their team who do their best when they happen to be around :)

And I dont know why EVE wouldnt be suitable for casual gamers. Isnt the skill system comparable to games like WoW/WAR? If you dont play, you dont progress. In that way of thinking, EVE is suited to casual gamers more than WoW/WAR.
Yes, and no :)  Notice that in my vocabulary a casual player plays like me, ie quite focused for times with the best of my abilities, then can take days/weeks not logging in at all. EVE doesn't really reward such playing (as far as I can see), not that any other game rewards idling either :P  Yes, it doesn't sound that harsh that I'd have to log in a couple times a day to EVE to set training for next skills, but still, it does sound like an extra work instead of fun way to spend time while nuking things to death when I happen to feel like it (like, lets say, WAR does :) )  ;D

Anyway, I'll start another trial in EVE soon. Not today, not tomorrow, but soon. All you people posting in this thread can go and blame yourselves for that :P

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
Hey, I'm a victim too here...   :-\

If you can't beat em, join em   :D
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2008, 11:02:38 AM »
Making money - pve (what there is of it) is one of the easiest methods. This includes missions, trading, salvaging (and ninja salvaging :D) and even scamming. Level 4 missions can net upto 40 million an hour once your skills are setup well and you have a salvager buddy willing to roll in your wake. Hell, i've had level 2 and 3 missions net me 10 mill or so an hour with good salvage :D

Its possible to profit from pvp, but only if the other guy(s) fit faction/officer/deadspace and kindly die and leave it you!

Good thing with EVE is you can pay for gametime with ingame currency.  As long as you make enough to do that and still have some left over your game will feel more fun and less like a job. Although monthly sub by CC isnt too bad to be honest.

A 60 days GTC costs 550 - 600 million isk - an account doesnt have to be active to purchase one of these, just needs to have the money in its wallet.  

A "PLEX" sold in game that extends an active account by 30 days, currently goes for 335 million, but prices are trending down on these as they are so new.

Personally I do a little of everything for money making. Especially trading, scamming contracts and also buying random gear and selling it at a markup in mission systems and low sec hubs where it is often needed, especially by those who fly something because they can, not because they should! I have a couple of passive income streams - one is in danger of going away soon, but thats a negotiation issue on my part to fix and the other is RnD datacore whorage - that net me quite alot of funding a month. Suffice to say I can pay for all of my accounts with isk monthly and still turn a profit.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2008, 11:07:34 AM »
Ok, I started doing some missions, started training Frigate IV (seemed like a skill where I couldn't go wrong) and am frantically trying to find my footing in that intergalactic mess. ;)
I also downloaded EveMon and am trying to get together a Plan™. So...I'm wondering what kind of ship I'd like to end up in in a few weeks (months?) time from now.
Do you guys have any ideas? :) Going by gut-feeling, I think I'd be happy in a skirmisher/sniper type of ship. I'm thinking fast, hard to nail down, and probably long-range weaponry. The harass and annoy type of ship, basically :) Any suggestions?
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2008, 11:12:44 AM »
HAC's (Heavy Assault Ships) sounds like it would fit your bill.  The Eagle (Caldari) especially :) (Not too fast, but range on it is sick - well it is with 9.5 million SP in gunnery like me!)

Good for fleet work and can be fit pretty well for closer in work too. Good for raping smaller support on the enemy fleet at distances over 10km or more. (Less said about Blaster fit Eagles the better really).

Although to be truly good in a HAC, you are looking at several months really - but pay off is worth the time invested.

In the interim look at flying a Ferox BC (Caldari) or a Brutix (Gallente) BC as their support skills really aid when planning for HAC's despite HAC's being a hull type UNDER Battlecruiser levels and for when you have to mission just blitz it in one!
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2008, 12:27:11 PM »
Ugh! Why doesnt eve just use pay pal. Don't feel like setting up another of these pay-method thingies (paybycash.com)

Anyone has experience with:
Direct Debit

Direct Debit is a popular alternative payment method available to EVE Online customers in Germany, Austria, Spain and The Netherlands.
Please note that Direct Debit payments may take up to five working days to be cleared.

?
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 25, 2008, 12:35:15 PM »
Do you guys have any ideas?

PVE (Roll Caldari Achura -> Stargazer -> Soldier -> Pilot)
===

Gallente Ishtar (Heavy Assault Cruiser)
Caldari Raven (Battleship)

PVP (Roll Caldari Achura -> Stargazer -> Soldier -> Pilot)
===

Options endless. It's a team game. There are 'fits' that make more sense than others, and ships that are gimped for certain functions.

Industrialist (Roll Minmatar Vhekior - and then maximise for trade or industry as appropriate)
=========

Miner - head to 'Hulk' and 'Orca' (or Rorqual if you're lowsec)
Trader - Freighter and along the way the TechII industrials (go gallente, so 'Iteron V')

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2008, 12:42:27 PM »
Ugh! Why doesnt eve just use pay pal. Don't feel like setting up another of these pay-method thingies (paybycash.com)

Anyone has experience with:
Direct Debit

Direct Debit is a popular alternative payment method available to EVE Online customers in Germany, Austria, Spain and The Netherlands.
Please note that Direct Debit payments may take up to five working days to be cleared.

There are many online stores that allow you to buy a Game Time Card with paypal.  You then just punch in the code on the Eve website and hey presto - you've game time.

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2008, 12:44:55 PM »
1. Hm, why stargazer? I had a hard time deciding between stargazer and monk but decided to go for monk because of better allround skills (more perception at the cost of int)
2. Where do I choose pilot? o_O

3. I just tried fitting my starter ship with a small shield booster but immediately ran into CPU problems. I do have electronics at level 4, so that kind of surprised me. :( How can I fix this?
(Edit: putting the mining laser offline helped)

4. You only use skillbooks from the market for training skills to level 1, right?

Edit: 5. Is there any way to easily find rats for missions? I just got sent to the Senda system, but it looks dead peaceful...
5a. Nevermind, found them. For some reason warping to the location in the journal brought me in range of them. Next problem: this guy has a drone and while the plan was to ignore it and just blow him to pieces before he could get me, the stupid ship kept firing on the drone (and missing because it's too fast - the mission even stated so....) any way to order it to ignore the drone and go for the ship? Or should I really install that webifier the mission suggests?
5b. How do I repair my armour?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 01:21:55 PM by Gunnarr »
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »
The newbie guide seems to advocate for Caldari > Achura > Inventor > Military > Special Forces as first character. Is this sort of toon any good in the long run, or just good as first toon to learn the basic ropes?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2008, 01:36:21 PM »
3. I just tried fitting my starter ship with a small shield booster but immediately ran into CPU problems. I do have electronics at level 4, so that kind of surprised me. Sad How can I fix this?
(Edit: putting the mining laser offline helped)

The freebie ship sucks :) use Evemon to find out which ship best suits your current skillset and play style. If you want to mine, salvage, and mission. Have a seperate ship set up for each task things are easier that way. (so no Miner Is on your mission ship ;) )

You only use skillbooks from the market for training skills to level 1, right?

Yup

Edit: 5. Is there any way to easily find rats for missions? I just got sent to the Senda system, but it looks dead peaceful...
5a. Nevermind, found them. For some reason warping to the location in the journal brought me in range of them. Next problem: this guy has a drone and while the plan was to ignore it and just blow him to pieces before he could get me, the stupid ship kept firing on the drone (and missing because it's too fast - the mission even stated so....) any way to order it to ignore the drone and go for the ship? Or should I really install that webifier the mission suggests?
5b. How do I repair my armour?

Whenever on a mission and in the correct system the deadspace area where mission is will be bookmarked in you right click menu (usually at the bottom)

If your firing at wrong target change targets ;)  without further training youll be able to lock 2 (training targeting increases this up to ship max) ctrl click to lock in overview or right click select at top of screen, webifiers do help against fast targets, or use missile. Missiles do seem to be more forgiving than guns when it comes to speed of target.

To repair armour/hull learn repair systems 1 then youll be able to use armour and hull repairers.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »
The freebie ship sucks :) use Evemon to find out which ship best suits your current skillset and play style. If you want to mine, salvage, and mission. Have a seperate ship set up for each task things are easier that way. (so no Miner Is on your mission ship ;) )
I don't think I have enough cash for 3 ships yet. ;) But I'll keep it in mind!

You only use skillbooks from the market for training skills to level 1, right?

Yup

If your firing at wrong target change targets ;)  without further training youll be able to lock 2 (training targeting increases this up to ship max) ctrl click to lock in overview or right click select at top of screen, webifiers do help against fast targets, or use missile. Missiles do seem to be more forgiving than guns when it comes to speed of target.

To repair armour/hull learn repair systems 1 then youll be able to use armour and hull repairers.

Hmm. The weird thing is I had the ship locked but kept keeping misses on the drone in the log.
Currently learning propulsion jamming 1, fitting a webifier and going to try again!
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »

Hmm. The weird thing is I had the ship locked but kept keeping misses on the drone in the log

you can tell which weapons are firing at which target by the icons that appear on the right of its box in you targetting lock thingy at the top. (my terminology is ace ;) )
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2008, 01:48:15 PM »
The newbie guide seems to advocate for Caldari > Achura > Inventor > Military > Special Forces as first character. Is this sort of toon any good in the long run, or just good as first toon to learn the basic ropes?

Also good. You won't go far wrong with:

Caldari > Achura > Inventor/Stargazer

They have the best mem/int which is what you mainly need for spaceship command skills.