Author Topic: EVE Online Thread  (Read 50909 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: EVE Online Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2008, 10:26:30 AM »
Many many many playstyles:

Carebears - some refer to all empire dwellers as this, even when they have empire based alts. Personally I use it to refer to those people who solidly mission run all the time - as I used to do back in the day; 1 of my alts.
0.0 Dwellers - eve's "endgame" almost.
Wannabe economists- 1 of my alts
Manufacturers - 2 of my alts
Explorers - even with a universe thats controlled by npcs or players, exploration is still fun, especially with T3 and wormholes on the way - 1 of my alts
Scammers - be it market scams, contract scams, "join goons" scams etc etc My main occasionally
Low sec pvper - be it gate piracy or actually working for a kill or two - my main and my gallente alt;
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:29:28 AM by Beosvir »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
EvE's a great game, but it's not the type of 'join a guild, go do stuff' game that many other MMOs are.

It's more the type of game you play over months and years and people have distinct playstyles:

- Carebears
  - Mission Runner
  - Industrialist
  - Miner

- PVPers
  - Low sec pirate
  - 0.0 PVPer

- Empire builder
  - 0.0 Legionairre <--- me
  - 0.0 Fleet Commander
  - 0.0 Industrialist
  - 0.0 Miner

To that end, I'm still keeping my WH sub going, and at some point soon you'll probably see more of me.

FWIW, my 'newbies get 10M ISK' offer stands to any member of HoJ who joins EvE, and if a group of people do want to join, then sticking together and learning the game as a group will make life much easier for you. Beos and I will (and I hope he doesn't mind me saying) sub you guys the cash for your first battleships and gear (when you get the skills) - as long as you ALWAYS KEEP THEM INSURED.

I fall under Vacs first two definitions in the main but he probably gets them more right than I do :)

As for helping anyone from here along with cash ingame, no problem here either. Playing the market, making stuff, and my other passive income streams (one may be disappearing soon, damn you ET) has given my a rather large and substantial pocket book, so helping friends along is good.

For anyone who does decide to give eve a chuck, best bet would be EVE-University - hell they even look at pvp for you all when they get wardecced (nearly a twice a month thing now!) or the Agony Unleashed pvp courses which I would gladly fund.

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2008, 10:39:34 AM »
0.0 Dwellers - eve's "endgame" almost.

0.0 is the raw edge of eve. No more or less valid than the other playstyles, it requires a highly cooperative group of people to join together to effectively create alliances and empires. This then causes a self-sustaining bunch of human condition effects - politics, greed, camaraderie, loyalty, distrust. All the humor of human society in a game.

This War! thread describes why 0.0 is awesome - read it, but warning, you may not do anything else for three days.

FYI, I'm involved with some of those guys, so please don't go posting without thinking (I'm sure you wouldn't anyway).

EvE has something remarkable about it, there are few games that generate as much player drama as EvE. To paraphrase Bill Shankley, EvE is a game, so it's not a matter of life-and-death, it's far more important than that.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2008, 10:42:58 AM »
That Shankley quote - with paraphrasing - works for eve so well :)

As for drama, yup it has more than most games, both in and out of game!

Also this thread - from start to finish is a good one too from the Fires of Heaven board.

Then of course a huge thread on eve's wars - again from FoH.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:46:47 AM by Beosvir »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2008, 01:34:39 PM »
ya bastardos

just resubbed with Constantine (my stealthy one) getting to grips with the game again, realised id left him with no cash or ships (except a kestrel :D )so a quick run around his research agents grabbed his stacks of cores  to get a fighting fund going :)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2008, 02:32:50 PM »
ya bastardos

just resubbed with Constantine (my stealthy one) getting to grips with the game again, realised id left him with no cash or ships (except a kestrel :D )so a quick run around his research agents grabbed his stacks of cores  to get a fighting fund going :)

100mill on its way.

And yay!

And HAHA!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2008, 02:36:19 PM »
He was your explorer wasnt he too?

If so then he'll enjoy the next expansion in March :)

So any plans for him now then? Little FW, get out to 0.0, or stay in Empire?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 02:58:12 PM by Beosvir »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2008, 03:25:07 PM »
ill stick in empire until i get used to game again get to grips with exploring , work on his hacking skills etc
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »
ugh..... itching itching...

dont have the time   :-X
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2008, 09:54:18 PM »
Just a quick thanks to Rubino for the 30 days :D

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2008, 10:10:36 PM »
ill stick in empire until i get used to game again get to grips with exploring , work on his hacking skills etc

Remember to rejoin EVE NEWBS channel, when i am on, I am in that usually :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2008, 11:10:19 PM »
forgot how easy level 1 missions were :)

this guy has no standings so have to start at beginning ;)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »
Ok, I decided to give it a go. Spent most of the evening in the portrait creator - and still not completely happy with the result. :P
But I did end up as a semi-lovely Caldari called Aicha Cephei.
As expected I'm struggling a bit with the basic controls - and with the tiny font! Argh, must be getting old....or playing at too high resolution. It's the latter, isn't it?  ::)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2008, 07:31:27 AM »
Heh, seems I can trial for an additional 21 days after my previous 14day trial a few months ago. (didnt have time?   shhhhh!)

Hope I remember how to do stuff and where the ejection button is. Or I should create another char to do the tutorial again.

As soon as I am on the go again and sure I would like to play it for a longer time, I will let you know, cause I would like some shinies too   :D
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2008, 07:38:45 AM »
Just a quick thanks to Rubino for the 30 days :D

Err, whachamacallit? Dont cheer before the bear is shot? It aint over till the fat lady sings?

ยป Buddies must purchase a subscription to EVE online within 7 days of their trial expiring, in order for your free 30 days to be awarded.