Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic (KOTOR MMO)  (Read 26037 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic (KOTOR MMO)
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »
lets hope it lives up to the hype and manages to avoid the moaners as its set in a period that very little has been written about.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »
The Old Republic? Weren't there a whole lot of Dark Horse Old Republic comic in the 90s? Think they fleshed out a bit of the Sith War and even hopped back to the Hyperspace War thousands of years earlier. (The lightsabers had power cables.)
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
yeah the Trade Paperbacks such as Jedi vs Sith and Freedon Nadd uprising are set in that era, but no novels and more wiggle room than SWG had Lorewise
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Baptiste

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 07:53:54 PM »
(The lightsabers had power cables.)

Hmm, it would suck going to all the trouble of becoming a Jedi only to be able to fight evil a few metres from a socket.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 09:09:52 AM »
(The lightsabers had power cables.)

Hmm, it would suck going to all the trouble of becoming a Jedi only to be able to fight evil a few metres from a socket.
I could always lend you one of my old bergan's and you could lug a few 12volt car batteries around in it to keep it going ;D
(Ghost busters with a sparkler perhaps?)  :P
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 04:27:55 PM »
yeah the Trade Paperbacks such as Jedi vs Sith and Freedon Nadd uprising are set in that era, but no novels and more wiggle room than SWG had Lorewise

The novels have accounted for just about every second between the original three movies, haven't they?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
the novels pretty much cover the entire period from The rise of Darth Bane (1000 years before the battle of Yavin) and 40 years after the battle of Yavin (The New Jedi Order), with important bits and pieces before and after hinted at or as Trade Paperbacks.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 07:19:18 AM »
http://kotaku.com/5235909/star-wars-the-old-republics-diverse-worlds

BioWare helps us move past the problems of the past week, with a new developer diary exploring the planets of Star Wars: The Old Republic.

The video explores the creation of some of the planets included in the next massively multiplayer Star Wars title, from the writing to the art design. There's still no planet full of unicorns, but I remain hopeful.

Watch the video, very shiny :)

Those worlds look very well realised, I do hope there is oodles of playable content on them and its not hours of walking between content hubs.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:31:09 AM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 10:18:20 AM »
Yummy looking indeed

Like the look of the old Sith academy on Korriban and the Sith tombs.

Tython looks pretty but didnt see any Rancor ;)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 08:35:00 AM »
KOTOR is like cake, in that it maybe a lie to call it a proper MMORPG:

http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6975&highlight=kotor+mmo

Below Im posting an inside view of The Old Republic based on an inside source. And no I didnt have to dumpster dive this time to get this info rofl.

Oh and before the flame wars begin, lets not forget I was dead on correct when I said Bioware was making a Star Wars theme MMO. And this was despite Bioware and LA both stating for a fact that this would not be a star wars MMO.

This is going to be long and so I'll do my best to organize what I know as best I can.

Many MMO's start out as an idea. Developers formulate a basic concept and then workshop ideas. A basic blueprint is written up and a budget is estimated. Then work begins. At this point some of the larger MMO dev houses present their blueprint to a marketing team. The team will do research to determine what kind f projected revenue they can expect and if the game will reach an intended target. Ideas are given back to the development team who may or may not revise their blueprint.

I describe this as whats normally done within a development of an MMO. I mention this because TOR didnt start in this traditional sense.

TOR was born from a business model. This business model was handed over to developers who were then asked to design a game around it. What was this business model you ask, it was a book.

This book was written by Lucas Arts and inspired by KOTOR and its success. I dont know the origins of when and why it was done but this book is the framework for TOR.

The game has been designed to play like a virtual book. Each chapter will have alternate endings based on which dialog you chose in the quests. The goal is to make the game replayable and new each time you start over.

Each chapter has roughly the same content as a KOTOR game. And there are several chapters so the game does have a ton of content.

The game is heavily instanced. If you have ever played Lord of the Rings Online, its similiar to the beginning quest sequence and some of the books. You will literally watch a story unfold in front of you in your own little world. There are several cinematic scenes in the game.

Its definitely NOT open. There are no giant worlds you can freely explore. Its sort of like Guild Wars or a variation of Age of Conan. No player cities and no housing.

There is no space content so if your hoping for a JTL in TOR you better look elsewhere. There is a few quests involving boarding a ship but you arent going to fly around in an X-Wing doing missions.

The story evolves. Think Books in Lord of the Rings. They plan on adding new chapters to the story. Here is the catch, you will likely have to pay for each new chapter. Its not really an expansion, so its more like buying some additional quests.

There are classes in the game but not in the traditional MMO sense. There isnt a tank class or a healing class really. Each class can dps and has some healing abilities.

Each class will start on its own planet and will have a unique series of quests to start the game. Once you leave the planet, the quests will be mostly the same as other classes but the dialog is unique to each class. Of course there are different possibilities based on the dialog you choose. Also cinematic sequences will be different depending on class.

You can solo through the entire game. Not to say there arent group quests, there are but you can skip them.

If you dont like questing, this game isnt for you. There really is no other means to play the game.

There is no non-combat class.

There is a limit to the number of companions you can have. And in a group you cant have two of the same companions out at the same time. Also you can only have one companion out at a time.

Crafting is very basic. You craft your own lightsaber. There is no weapons crafting or armor crafting of any kind. There are some quests that require you to do some basic crafting like fixing a shield generator or fixing a droid. There are some modifications you can add to your gear. But you arent going to make your own gear.

There is currency and you can buy consumables like health pots. There will be a standard auction house.

Its definitely a PvE focused game. PvP will be limited to duels at this point. There are no raids, at least not in the traditional sense where 25 people go into a dungeon like in wow.

combat is classic rpg with a toolbar and specials with cooldowns.

Bioware wont support addons and apparently it will be considered an exploit to use one. No idea why.

The game currently is in full alpha test mode.

To summarize the game, its not really an MMO in the traditional sense. Some people are going to be upset by the design. Others like KOTOR fans will absolutely love this game. Oh and there will definitely be RMT plus a subscription fee.

Not sure what to think, have I been spoiled by Lotro and its story and open world, EVE and its ability to create your own stories or even WoW? Or am I just jaded in my opinion that this may not actually work after all, crushing my hopes of a newer improved SWG without retards at its helm?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 08:37:38 AM »
Big question that stems from this is how they will hold single character players after they complete the storyline?

That's their biggest problem, the deal breaker even, sorta like WAR and uneven factions, hopefully unlike the latter they will have a plan.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2009, 09:01:55 AM »
sounds like a single player game i hope im wrong the whole point of mmo's is the social interaction.

cant see me paying mmo subs to a single player game.

will have to see how it developes and hopefully get into beta for a better look.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 08:19:56 AM »
It's a single player game with a monthly subscription fee?

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 08:25:10 AM »
its touted as an mmo and everything so far is only rumour as they are not releasing much info.

the info mangala posted was put up on a forum in january originally and they ripped it apart on the official forums so take everything with a pinch of salt.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »
http://www.swtor.com/info/classes/trooper

as for the probability of it being a paid for persistent world rpg, rather than an MMO.

Read all the marketing bumpf you can find on it, totally suggests its more like old style NWN persistent worlds, than full on open world MMO as we here understand MMO's to be.

EDIT - I love rumor :) :

TTH:You mentioned earlier that you don't want players to need to go out and recruit a bunch of other players to take down one monster. How do you balance an MMO so that you're still able to be a bad ass in single player but also have that sort of multiplayer experience that so many MMOs provide?

James: One of the things we've been doing is that we're making sure that when we're building content we have different representatives of the different play styles. Whenever we're doing design discussions or implementing a system, we have the different player types involved. There's the solo player type that hates other players and is very anti-social...

BioWare is creating their game with all play styles in mind.

It's funny, because there are a bunch of players like this in WoW where they don't like to hang around with other players but love to show off all the cool stuff that they have.

Then there are the players that like to adventure with their buddies. They have their own group of friends, and they just like to adventure with those players all the time.

Then there are players that like to join guilds and are social butterflies and like to adventure with people from their guild. They like to be part of these big huge groups that go out and play in major events like raids.

We want to take all those players and make sure that each of those player types has fun in our game. I can't go into details about all the systems, but we have made sure that those player types are thought about when we're building the game.

FROM HERE: http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/47137
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 04:57:59 PM by Mangala »