Author Topic: Graphics Cards..  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Graphics Cards..
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:53:40 AM »
I currently have an nvidia 8600GT (256 MB RAM) - and yesterday in Avelorn (100 players or so) the lag was extreem - I could barely move with any degree of accuracy.
I've updated my driver, defragged and changed a few things to see if it'll help but I was thinking of getting a 8800 GTX (768 MB memory).
Anybody have or know this card?
Is it worth the cash?

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Cards..
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:58:40 AM »
hmmm

have a 8800gt card with 1gig myself and i suffer the same sort of lag myself in avelorn so i dont know if the card will help that much.

i dont seem to get that kind of lag in other areas for some reason.

i turned the graphic setting to best framerate last night and that helped a little with the lag.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
What cpu's, os and ram are you guys using?

There's alot of information out there stating that this game is very heavy on your cpu's whilst leaving alot of spare power available on your gpu.
I have two friends who both run 8800GT's with completely different results.

One has an AMD Athlon x2 6000+ 3.1 Ghz cpu and he is fine on max settings for solo and small group and just has to knock a few bits out for large scale PvP.  I believe he sets spell effect to self only and turns off things like shadows, reflections and grass.
The other runs an AMD Athlon x2 4200+ 2.2 Ghz and he can only use mid settings for solo and small group whilst large scale PvP is a slide show for him even with settings set to minimum.
They both have the same systems apart from the processor, and both use xp pro 32bit with 2g of corsair 667mhz ram.
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 10:20:40 AM »
quad core at 2.4 ghz
4 gig ram
xp pro
8800gt 1 gig with 1.75 drivers
with everything turned up to 11

im fine on full in scenerios and solo pve
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:29:23 AM by Keggi »

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »
quad core at 2.4 ghz
4 gig ram
xp pro
8800gt 1 gig with 1.75 drivers
with everything turned up to 11

im fine on full in scenerios and solo pve

Yeah with that setup you should be running well in all situations. I can't understand why you only lag in Avelorn then.   :-[ Very strange.
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »
Apologies for the thread hijak butI was planning to start another myself I'm looking to upgrade my shitty AMD x1300 for somthing with a budget of £120.

It's nothing vital as I'm not massivly missing the graphics being on anything other than low and tbh 25-30ish average dropping to 15fps very rarely in averlon last night wasn't so terrible. I would however like the option to hit Full effects for solo or smaller WB/Partying, Gunbad for instance.

AMD Athlon x2 4200+ 2.2 Ghz
4gig Ram
ATI x1300 256mb
XP - 34

is what I'm currently playing with and I was looking at a Radeon HD 4850 as an upgrade.

should I, shouldn't I for £120? and if I should what are my options. While I probably could go higher than that I'm not entirely sure I want to.

Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:45:27 AM by Debaser »
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Torgal

• HoJ Members
  • Literati
  • Livin' in Hamsterdam
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:14:51 AM »
Apologies for the thread hijak butI was planning to start another myself I'm looking to upgrade my shitty AMD x1300 for somthing with a budget of £120.

It's nothing vital as I'm not massivly missing the graphics being on anything other than low and tbh 25-30ish average dropping to 15fps very rarely in averlon last night wasn't so terrible. I would however like the option to hit Full effects for solo or smaller WB/Partying, Gunbad for instance.

4gig Ram
ATI x1300 256mb
XP - 34

is what I'm currently playing with and I was looking at a Radeon HD 4850 as an upgrade.

should I, shouldn't I for £120? and if I should what are my options. While I probably could go higher than that I'm not entirely sure I want to.

I'm a fan of the Ati 38xx and 48xx line cards. I run 2x 3870s and I've never had anything but perfect framerate in all situations. Looks like the card is your bottleneck there, so it should make quite a difference for you.

With regard to the rest of the thread. I've said it before and I'll say it again, to anyone that experiences performance issues (specifically hitching, which is where your game freezes for a split second every 2-3 seconds) in PvP situations, you need BuffThrottle. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted here but I just want to make sure everyone's covered.

Personally I notice my hitching start to come back in intense situations / large warbands where there's a lot of debuffs flying around. I think upping the buff delay on BuffThrottle may be the answer, it's just a scale issue, but the FPS is not affected (it's important to recognise the difference between low FPS, and hitching). You can set the buff delay by using /script BuffRefreshDelay = numSeconds (0.5 is the default) and check the number of throttle events by using /script BuffThrottle.Verify() (if this is very high you may want to up the delay).

The issue is that Mythic need to fix the UI performance so that BuffThrottle is not necessary. It's issue #1 that'll lose em customers imo. If I never knew about BuffThrottle I don't think I'd still be playing, because it's really that bad. We need to rely on a 3rd party mod to make the game not run like sh*t? That's not good mojo.

Order Torgal / Allein / Iapetus / Mellir / Ganymede
Destruction Stikklebrix / Mimas

"Sheeeeeeeeeeeeit"

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »
1. Install buffthrottle.
2. I <3 my 4870x2

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 02:44:08 PM »

4gig Ram
ATI x1300 256mb
XP - 34

Well going from what people I know are using that works the list is as follows

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-98GTXP (9800GTX+)
I know of 3 people (myself included) that are using this card with no problems. price around £120.00 at present.

then there's this
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-98GT5  (9800GT)
This is basically a rebadged 8800GT with a couple of minor tweaks. I know 2 people using these. Price around £85.00.

And if you swing the other way...

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?HIS-4850  (4850)
A very nice and stable card. you can pick this up for anywhere between £95.00 - £130.00 depending on what brand you look at.

or
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?SAP-3870XT  (3870)
again another nice card more in the mid range but more than capable of running War decently for under £80.00

and finally

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-96GT.

Ive left the 9600GT till last for several reasons.  Firstly its a mid ranged card not top line but is still a very powerfull tool and more than capable of running this game nicely. If you look at the forums you will see as many posts saying it cant run the game as there are saying it can.
Ive personally used 2 machines running these cards one was dual 9600gt's in SLI and both of them ran the game very well. The SLI machine was actually quite awsome. If you look around you can pick up 512mb versions of this card for less than £60.00 and ive even seen 1GB version for not alot more than that.

Hope this helps

There are more powerful cards out there than these but you'll pay a premium for them that is just (in my books) unreasonable and not needed.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 02:47:43 PM by Macrune »

Offline Debaser

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:27:15 PM »
Thank you Mac and Torgal, most helpful!
Debaser (IB) Omyi (WP)

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 10:06:14 AM »
I have:
Intel Dual Core 3Ghz
4GB Ram
NVidea 8600 GT 256MB
Vista x64

I run BuffThrottle with the std settings and have the client set for fastest framerate.

I updated the drivers & defragged yesterday and it appeared to help with performance of RvR in/around Avelorn - so maybe only a little maint was needed.
I do find that every now and then network lag starts to build up - sometimes so much so that I have to bounce the router.

The main problem I notice is that I can barely move - turning involves pressing a key, waiting to see where I actually turned to (2 secs or so wait), correct, move forward, etc

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 10:21:37 AM »
Just try to keep your mobo- and GPU-facturer the same.
I have had a lot of troubles with my Intel (P45) mobo and AMD (ATI 4850) GPU

BSoD after BSoD.

It seems better or even fixed now, but till yesterday-ish have had a lot of trouble.
Bad thing is... dont even know what caused it to get better  :-\
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166