Author Topic: The Guild Merger Thread  (Read 24262 times)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Project: Antarian Rangers
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »
/cjoin TJA

Offline hadron

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »
with regard to FP or OP times, they flex, I set the FP's at a time that suits me, I can usually be around earlier just more prone to child related interruptions :) I think there is quite a mix of people and locations so with greater numbers I would expect it to be possible (for FP's) to do an early and late run :) it should not be beyond us to have enough folks playing to manage groups of 4. 8 is slightly harder to make work but 16 is not even on the chart at this time.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 08:43:40 PM »
Had a nice chat with Aet from TLA earlier this evening.

He's very pro guild merge, but has a couple of requirements, namely:

We only recruit 25+ new members (doesn't apply to any existing members below this age limit).

We only recruit 'nice' people, and have a reasonably robust application process.

I'm ok with the above, but what are your thoughts?

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 09:05:55 PM »
Instead of guessing, why 25+?
What is 'nice'. What is robust?

Requiring registering for forum and posting a short application thread/introduction tends to weed out most people.
Don't need to know how big their penis is. I'll find that out myself.

Bit vague.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Thela

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 09:11:19 PM »
We only recruit 'nice' people

Going after *ssholes is never a smart idea  ;D

But if looks like this merger can work, then go for it.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 10:54:45 PM »
Instead of guessing, why 25+?
What is 'nice'. What is robust?

Requiring registering for forum and posting a short application thread/introduction tends to weed out most people.
Don't need to know how big their penis is. I'll find that out myself.

Bit vague.

its only vague for you :0

25 for maturity

nice as to avoid assholes, hence requiring a post on forum
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline hadron

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
Re: The Guild Merger Thread
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:43 PM »
hmm not this crap again!

I think if you openly spam for recruitment then this sort of thing is fine, but tbh if I group with an nn year old and they are fine who the hell cares? I am very much against this type of thing, its this rubbish that results in guilds with no members imo. Like I said, open recruitment it makes a lot of sense, but if its someone you know or recommend no restrictions. In reality its unlikely we would attract or be attractive to anyone who didn't fit our profile anyway but the more rules you have the more someone has to enforce them, cant we just play the game?

I'll have to have a word with Aet I guess

:) you may be realising I tend to voice opinions and generally dont let things I dont like go by.

tonight has been one of the bets evenings in game for a long time, lots of chat, very very active and plenty of other folks have said the same thing to me. this is the right thing to do, merging
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:17:34 PM by hadron »

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:42 PM »
The lowest I would go for age restrictions is 18+. I'd be happier with 21+ though.

Offline hadron

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 11:33:34 PM »
its more about the pointless rule making than the actual age, set it to 25+, now someone comes along who is 24 and plays well and gets on with everyone and we don't let them in? Its ridiculous. Recruitment needs a policy I agree, but it should be based on a first and a second from within the guild, otherwise its just random chance anyway and some age limit is fine, but the game already imposes one anyway.

fewer rules means more time to do the things we want, unless enforcing rules (which are unenforceable anyway, if someone is 14 and wants in they will lie and no one will know) is what you want to do.

I would say 21+ for spam recruitment, no restriction if recommended from within guild.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 11:48:32 PM »
Ive some experience in the recruitment game so yeah i have things to say having done alot of it over the past 7 years.

Age is never the best sign of maturity,  and using it as a barrier to entry will just cause you to start on the same cycle that has gotten 3 storied guilds with long histories into the situation being discussed here today. We have all been done in by RL commitments in addition to EA bullying BW on the games release and this is what brings us to this juncture.

For actual recruitment ideally you want to roll with the typical forum post BUT make it a loose framework instead of the usual bullshit questions asked by every other wannabe group and discern the type of person the app is from  there and maybe just having them tag along on some pve content and join comms for it(imo pvp competence isnt anything you consider when looking at apps for a pve community but then again you know I think pvp in games like this is dire anyway so v0v) etc etc not an interview or trial as such just a feeler session.

However it will be a while before a new group can consider this approach as you need to get the name out there and I'm sorry to say but a minimalist open recruitment policy will be best at the off,  once you have a solid active core with actions speaking for them then you can get onto serious business recruiting.   Trying to be serious from the get go before you have even achieved anything under the new tag just dooms your efforts from the start. The people you look to attract while like minded will be looking for results fr proof you can be a good home,  not vague promises etc etc

Sent using Android Mind Bullets
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:55:54 PM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:20 AM »

:) you may be realising I tend to voice opinions and generally dont let things I dont like go by.

tonight has been one of the bets evenings in game for a long time, lots of chat, very very active and plenty of other folks have said the same thing to me. this is the right thing to do, merging

you aint the only one :)

...and i wasnt on goddamn it

as to age restrictions, i understand why some people wish to have them, however im of the mind that i dont assume anything about someone until i make up ny own mind about them, i mean not all under 21s are immature assholes right?
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2012, 07:17:45 AM »
I think we should all voice our opinions and then in the end the new guild council type thing should make the final decision, to prevent us from going in circles too much. And to make sure the council doesn't get bored.  :D
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline hadron

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
cool stuff and I think we are all in basic agreement with each other :) My usual response to 'leaders' insisting' on this type of thing is to ask them how old I am and then play it to its ridiculous conclusion ;)

Offline Clostridium

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 02:09:28 PM »
From what i'v read so far in this thread i realy like the "Just play the game" opinion. Ingame politics take alot of time and slowly pulls you away from the real purpuse of playing the game. Im 24 years old and not mature enough for the 25+year old rule... right!? Age doesnt realy say much and "nice" people can only be mesured in de time you enjoyed playing the game with him/her. So the guild leader(s) have the /kick option if someone misbehaves and the ppl that are not "nice" will gradualy be left out of stuff and die away slowly till they leave themself. Iv seen it happen in World of warcraft and it worked fine. Just dont get cought up in the politics end enjoy the game. The rest will work out fine.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 02:17:37 PM »
From what i'v read so far in this thread i realy like the "Just play the game" opinion. Ingame politics take alot of time and slowly pulls you away from the real purpuse of playing the game. Im 24 years old and not mature enough for the 25+year old rule... right!? Age doesnt realy say much and "nice" people can only be mesured in de time you enjoyed playing the game with him/her. So the guild leader(s) have the /kick option if someone misbehaves and the ppl that are not "nice" will gradualy be left out of stuff and die away slowly till they leave themself. Iv seen it happen in World of warcraft and it worked fine. Just dont get cought up in the politics end enjoy the game. The rest will work out fine.

If I could +rep you I would :)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."