Author Topic: Books: What are you reading currently?  (Read 7549 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Books: What are you reading currently?
« on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »
Me Im looking over a few travel guides (India, Europe on a Shoestring and similar guides). Fiction wise - im on the 10th Gaunts Ghosts book - got 11 and 12 lined up as well as 1-10 of the Horus Herest series.  Im also re-reading No-one here gets out alive, a book about The Doors.

And mulling over a Harry Potter marathon (dont ask!).
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kathras

• MAADI
  • Literati
    • View Profile
Re: Books: What are you reading currently?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:21:35 AM »
Im stuck in tech book hell.  Reading about Apache Tomcat and Xen virtualization.  :(

However, when I can sneak some pleasure reading in, I've been reading the the collected works of H. P. Lovecraft.
"Uncompromising men are easy to admire." - fictional character

Offline elv

• Friends
  • Literati
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:46:19 AM »
about halfway through brett easton ellis - less than zero fairly enjoyable and a quick read bit like a genration x catcher in the rye is my impression so far.

laters elv

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
I'm currently reading 'How Madonna landed on the moon' by Rolf Bauerdick. It's about life in Eastern Europe - I like that, esp. about life in Russia.
Apart from that I am nearly finished with a book about a journalists view on neuro surgery and I recently bought the first book of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones) - which Gunnarr recommended to me.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 08:24:06 AM »
I'm currently reading 'How Madonna landed on the moon' by Rolf Bauerdick. It's about life in Eastern Europe - I like that, esp. about life in Russia.
Apart from that I am nearly finished with a book about a journalists view on neuro surgery and I recently bought the first book of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (A Game of Thrones) - which Gunnarr recommended to me.

gunnarr did tell you old george is turning out a book every 5 years or so in this series?

and as there is another 3 books in the series still to come and george not getting any younger who knows if it will ever be finished.

saying that it is a damn good read enjoy :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 10:55:15 AM »
Forgotten Realms trash fantasy, currently reading about the Twilight War, and the spell plague.

D&D FTW :D

Also Star Wars clone wars novels, Wild space and No prisoner.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 12:06:03 PM »
Oh forgot I am also halfway a book with a title that freely translates to: 'Language is Really Kinda My Thing, You Know?'. Good fun, don't remember why I put it aside at the time...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
Currently collecting/reading my way through the Fate of the Jedi series of novels. Romping good fun so far.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:29 PM »
Silence of the Lambs and Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 In C# and VB.

I'm up to date on the Horus Heresy series. They're a bit hit and miss but A Thousand Sons was decent enough, and you finally get to find out what the Emperor's been doing since he left the Great Crusade. Titanicus is a pretty good read too. I spotted it at the local library. (I'm a Dan Abnett fan.)
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »
Silence of the Lambs

Good read
Just dont read Hannibal after that it is pants.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 05:46:19 AM »
I'm finishing up on Eco's Foucault's pendulum.
I also bought the full Sandman series in "Absolute" format (I love leatherbound tomes) and reading them as they arrive. (and as part 2 has the longest delivery time, that means I'm at 1/4th now) :)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 09:44:08 PM »
I noticed a sticker on a book I bought and some googling came up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 09:46:11 PM by Warcold »

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 10:20:27 PM »
I noticed a sticker on a book I bought and some googling came up with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAZzCFPcLoo

http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/index.html

yup sean bean as lord eddard stark :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »
That looks damn good.

Its HBO too and they dont underbudget stuff either, looking forward to next year now.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »
That looks damn good.

Its HBO too and they dont underbudget stuff either, looking forward to next year now.

Not familiar with the books, but that does look good.

At least its not bloody vampires...