Author Topic: Warhammer TT Balancing  (Read 8788 times)

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer TT Balancing
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 08:53:37 AM »
Oh, I just remembered:

Skaven army, an edition back or so, in 2000+ point battles iirc:
You could select the greater daemon of the horned rat as your army general. Now put him in a rat ogre pack. Give them skavenbrew.
1. The rat ogres will now make their stupidity check at the leadership of the daemon (10)
2. They'll move at the speed of the slowest model, which is a rat ogre (6")
3. Skavenbrew may give them double movement speed in the first turn. (this is a random roll)
4. Use the first turn to charge (double movement) the opponent's cannons/squishies with your 24" (!) charge.

I believe the lads at White Dwarf coined the term "beardy" for tactics like these. ;)

And I think chaos dwarves were kinda unpopular, so I can see why they cancelled it. It still sucks if you bought an army though. :S
Then again, they cancelled entire games before (Man O' War, anyone?) and created entirely different rulesets for other games (I still have an first edition copy of Bloodbowl, which by the way is waaay funnier than any bit of the second edition)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 08:55:30 AM by Gunnarr »
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 09:02:21 AM »
What they just up an' cancelled a whole race? You're a bit stuffed by that if you've bought all their miniatures aren't you? Doesn't seem very fair!

They've done all sorts of stuff ... the first instance of this I remember is the disappearance of 'The Slann'.

The Slann (no, not lizardmen) were lustrians with attitude (well, yes, Lizardmen) and pretty much were incredibly hard to kill, and if you got close, their Zoats would destroy you.

Oh, that reminds me of the Fimir ...

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 09:14:13 AM »
Problem was I never got to buy an entire army :( only have a "regiment" or what to call it. But lost the will to get a new army after that.
But going to get one when I get a job, dwarfs here i come :)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 10:25:57 AM »
What they just up an' cancelled a whole race? You're a bit stuffed by that if you've bought all their miniatures aren't you? Doesn't seem very fair!
To be fair, Chaos Dwarfs never had an Army Book and never was regarded as an "official" WHFB race. They appeared as articles in Chaos books and the White Dwarf magazine (and a compiled "White Dwarf Presents: Chaos Dwarfs". Yet Chaos Dwarfs had a full range of miniatures from GW, altough many shops didn't actually stock them (so if you wanted them, you had to order them through 'Eavy Metal (or whatever that GW mail-shop is called these days).

Chaos Dwarfs in WHFB were possibly the "beardiest" army available, and I took part in quite a few tournaments were they were disallowed. Officially because they were not an official army, but in reality because they were so horribly imbalanced. The sturdiness of dwarfs combined with chaos sorcery and the masses of the green-skins... Chaos Dwarfs simply were invincible.

However, in Blood Bowl and Man O' War Chaos Dwarfs were/are officially present. In BB for example they are IMO a very balanced and well thought team (the team is based on Chaos Dwarfs (slow, tough and not very agile with the ball), hobgoblins (who are basically humans except the hobgobs are way squishier) and Bull-Centaur (excellent ball runners, if they are able to ever pick up the ball :p).