Author Topic: Idea for mining op  (Read 665 times)

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Idea for mining op
« on: December 19, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »
I have had this idea in the back of my head for quite some time.

Remote mining :)

I know I've probably talked about it before but we have lacked the numbers to do it ourselves. But perhaps with alliance participation it could work.

Anyways, the basic idea is to have a proper mining fleet set up shop in a remote 0.0 system to eat all the roids there.
This kind of mining fleet needs at least 8 hulks and 1 rorqual to work (not worth it without a rorqual really). You also need at least one person hauling jetcans from belt to rorqual which has to be in a pos for safety.
So for mining you need 10 people.
They should bring in around 800k m3/h of ore. (value is ofc dependant on oretype but this should be done in a abcm system)

There are a few systems like that which can be used fairly safely, UMD and 8DL in GW are the best ones I've seen so far. Both seem to get fairly little traffic which is good.
Another good thing of both is that from a pos in UMD there are two jumps to Hedal where the middle point is in another low traffic system L1S.

So to make this work there would be a need for a pos in L1S and UMD at least, possibly a small one for temp usage (unless there are a decent moon there which can pay for itself) in 8DL.
Also I think the best way to make it work is to have a carrier along, it can make it safer and you can jump in the hulks using it and the rorqual.

The big problem is safety.
A rorqual is expensive.
A fleet of hulks are expensive and vulnerable.
So at the very least scouts and t2 large bubbles to delay any attack but preferably some smallish defensive fleet to lock down system or roam around doing combat recon.

Some thoughts on it at least.
Was talking with mangs and brian tonight a bit about it and made a post earlier in the alliance command place.