Author Topic: S.T.A.L.K.E.R thread....  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
S.T.A.L.K.E.R thread....
« on: October 31, 2009, 09:09:37 AM »
So those of you who grabbed it from Steam, thoughts so far?

(Basically need this thread so the steam deals thread stays "clean" :D)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R thread....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:10:04 AM »
http://artistpavel.blogspot.com/2009/04/stalker-complete-2009.html

Adds, among other things, weather effects...the night is actually pitch black

Been playing this a bit now, not sure if I'll play through it at this point thought - I like it, though it is rather hard and the controls/movement just a little tedious.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »
I like the atmosphere and all, but I hate the hamsterside of me being frustrated, plus all the quests I failed because you have to travel so damn far for doing your missions (which is a con in itself too).
Dunno, it's a good game to have lying around to satisfy the triggerhappy side of me once in a while, but to play and enjoy hours and hours on end, no...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »
I keep forgetting the time while playing this. Been going "crap, past midnight again", 2 out of the last 3 nights now.
It's the large distances, I guess. Which I like too, on the other hand. Sometimes it almost feels like you can just roam freely and just explore.
Though the other day I met two (!) bloodsuckers (at the same time!) while just taking a stroll, which was rather exciting.
I don't like the little info it gives on quests, most of all when turning them in. With the large distances and me doing multiple quests at the same time, it's sometimes hard to remember what you did again to earn the shinies. And it doesn't help the story either. While I still get it somewhat, you really need to pay attention to what you were doing it all for again.

But it's a nice game, I like the weather effects and day/night cycle. Graphics are great, the combat is usually exciting (usually, barring the few mobs that just get stuck or wander into your gun backwards when the AI spaces out), so I guess I'll forget about sleeping some more evenings, yet.... :-\

PS: Did anyone figure out how to beat the 2 spetznaz guys in the arena? Been shot down at least a dozen times now, trying different things.
I just can't seem to shoot even one of them down fast enough to prevent him from popping me as well. That's some armour they're wearing....

"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 05:07:46 PM »
This and clear skies (sequel) are both steam for stupidly low prices. So if you missed them last time I recommended them, get them now.