Author Topic: new info  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
new info
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: new info
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »
Kinda stupid - why not just make book 9 free, and increase cap etc with Rohan/Gondor (I'd suggest "the coming of the light" for the title of that book) expansion?  Just smacks of "OMG we promised an expansion a year and havent got much for one this year...")

Hopefully Dale and Erebor are in there too.  And the necromancer's stronghold, with a suitably mean raid boss or few, but no bloody turtles or gear gating (its wrong in a game thats an evolving story really...)

Although:

Answer the Call of War! – Jump into the heat of battle with the new Skirmishes feature.  Skirmishes offer endless action in repeatable, randomized instances where players can create and lead customizable soldiers into battle, training them to greater skill as they earn victories against the forces of shadow.  Answer the call of war wherever violence erupts with the new “World Join” function that lets players and their fellowships band together to fight in various locations throughout Middle-earth.

Single player much? (and I know this is coming from me, MR dont play much).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 05:41:17 PM by Mangala »
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 06:46:10 PM »
it seems that the skirmishes will be solo (not sure if team will be allowed also) but training soldiers and they level up if you do well sounds awesome hehe :)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 07:54:50 PM »
That part does sound good - but the suggestion of it being a pointer to solo play doesnt make me happy in my pants.  Im not going to judge the content until much more is known, but im still leaning towards WTF are they making us pay for this for...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 04:50:53 PM »
Players will experience improved responsiveness when in the heat of battle

If this means they are finally making it so that when you push a button, something actually *immediately* happens(sound of spell, swinging of weapon, casting bar starting to countdown), then I am getting interested again. I have a lifetime sub but somehow I can't stand the game for longer then a few days. Combat in Lotro tends to annoy the hell out of me after a short while.

It is not the global coolddown, since it also happens when the abilities are available. It is when you push a hotkey there is a tiny delay before your character starts to swing or cast and this makes combat feel very disconnected to me. The odd part is that the combat animations are in fact very in sync with the sounds of battle, the "connect" gfx and the reactions of the mob. Its just that tiny delay after you push the button!

However I've seen a discussion on EJ and supposedly they're making it so when you press a key, the ability fires instantly instead of waiting for the end of your current autoattack animation, so it should be more responsive, even though I guess it's still gonna have the whole animation as GCD system.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 04:52:46 PM by Mangala »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »
Skirmish info

Siege of Mirkwood will be introducing twelve new Skirmish instances in addition to a pair of tutorial instances designed to introduce players to the system. Each of these instances is scalable on a number of levels: They each accept one, three, six, or twelve players at a time, with the deficit made up for by player-created NPC soldiers. Many of the instances are scalable by level; for instance, one skirmish which features an assault upon and defense of Weathertop will accept players from level 30 to 65. Each instance has nine optional challenges, each of which awards skirmish points -- more on those in a moment. These challenges are randomized, as are the enemies inside the instance (within certain logical limits, of course), so you will not likely have the same experience twice

it does seem however that Siege of Mirkwood is going to be a paid expansion :S

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »
Skirmish info

Siege of Mirkwood will be introducing twelve new Skirmish instances in addition to a pair of tutorial instances designed to introduce players to the system. Each of these instances is scalable on a number of levels: They each accept one, three, six, or twelve players at a time, with the deficit made up for by player-created NPC soldiers. Many of the instances are scalable by level; for instance, one skirmish which features an assault upon and defense of Weathertop will accept players from level 30 to 65. Each instance has nine optional challenges, each of which awards skirmish points -- more on those in a moment. These challenges are randomized, as are the enemies inside the instance (within certain logical limits, of course), so you will not likely have the same experience twice

it does seem however that Siege of Mirkwood is going to be a paid expansion :S

$20 according to a scan of the US forums the past couple of days.  So probably double that in real money as codies will fuck us euros over :)

I'll pay it, then not play any of the new stuff as I aint close yet :)  But it feels shitty paying for a regular "book" with some fringe benefits...

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
dont know if i will continue with lotro seems they want you to pay for things that were free content before.

i also thought the next pay for xpack would be rohan.?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
dont know if i will continue with lotro seems they want you to pay for things that were free content before.

i also thought the next pay for xpack would be rohan.?

Think all the playerbase thought that - now I am not sure :S

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 04:17:52 PM »
it does seem like they thought "shit, shouldnt we have been working on an expansion instead of sorting the last one" so they thought lets charge for book 9 and add bits onto it.

Lifetime sub means ill continue playing, plus LOTRO does have the nicest, well thought out instances ive played in an MMO. still hate the whole radiance gating concept though that one was a big mistake.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:20:53 PM »
Radiance sucks, and this is coming from a guy that LIKES gear gating normally (look at how hard I worked on actual tank sets for early raiding in wow and was very precise on what he needed to be better for better stuff), I wish they had better ways of doing things on those lines. Or just obviate it.

As for still playing - its bloody Middle Earth, of course Im staying (in my limited capacity of course - which I kinda regret, but maybe after my trip I'll have more time and the combat system wont be as annoying after 3 days as it is)!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:22:57 PM by Mangala »

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:39:19 PM »
yeah i will most probably play from time to time but i seem to get bored of all mmo's at the moment after about 4-6 weeks of play.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »
yeah i will most probably play from time to time but i seem to get bored of all mmo's at the moment after about 4-6 weeks of play.

i know that feeling well

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 05:16:05 PM »

i know that feeling well

Too much to play :)

And boy do I have too much to play!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 05:16:33 PM »
but to a degree it is weird that you have a lifetime sub, but still have to pay to be able to keep playing...
or can you keep playing without the expansion?
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166