Author Topic: I need a hint...or two  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Pashur

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
I need a hint...or two
« on: December 24, 2008, 09:22:59 AM »
Hi guys,
I have now leveled my Death Knight to 80 and I don't feel like investing a lot of time grinding for gear etc. Every time I log on to WAR I feel uninspired.
So, maybe it is time for a new game :)

You guys got me thinking about EVE and I am now downloading the trial account.
What do I do and what do I not do?
Are there servers, factions etc. like in every MMO and if so which do I choose?
I could use some very basic tip and if possible be where most of you guys hang out.
Merry Christmas to you all :)

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
Re: I need a hint...or two
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 10:03:35 AM »
EvE has a single server called 'Tranquility'.

There's a bunch of threads in the 'Eve General' section where all the guys who joined a few weeks back asked their questions. Beo, Rubino and I have been in eve a bit longer and gave our two pence answers.

In short however:

1. be very sensible with character creation
2. read a lot first, learning curve steep
3. join channel 'EVE NEWBS' when you log in, and I'll send you 10M ISK and the guys will adopt you to their channel.

Read the 'Eve Character Sticky' and post your character details when you're done.

Offline Pashur

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
Oops, I missed the sticky. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 11:13:44 AM »
Also be aware that this is not a 'quick fix' game. There's alot of long term stuff in the way of skills investments to consider which suits me fine. Its definately worth spending a fair amount of time on the forums etc cos the depth you can take this game to is incredible.

I love it. What more can i say  ;D
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 11:41:32 AM »
Its not a quick fix of a game the love for it is a slow burning one due to the big WTF stick that smacks you in the face when you first play ;) stick with it and you will enjoy it. and anyway thast what eve newbs is for ask us any questions you like no matter how silly you think it may be we all have needed that guidance with eve.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 06:15:51 PM »
* Mangala ducks before Swuul uses that peice of info to prove a point!
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 07:05:29 PM »
Hijacked the comp of my mother in law, so now I can enter the answering fray  ;)

Are there servers, factions etc. like in every MMO and if so which do I choose?
There are 4 races you can choose from. Most of the HoJ-noobs chose Caldari, and think that is what most ppl recommend as starter race, but for joining us lot, the consequences are minimal, as all the races can intermingle and travel everywhere.
There is something of a order/chaos parallel, as the factions caldari/ammar are at war with galente/minmatar. Joining this war is optional though, and there is no good/evil thingy involved (not one that the other side will agree on anyway  ;)). PvP is big part of the game, but can also be played around for a fair bit, but never be steered around 100%. This is where high-sec(urity), low-sec and 0.0-space(also low-sec) come around the corner.

A lot of startertips on eve were given in this thread (http://handsofjustice.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=389.0), long read, but worth to browse through and read (some of) the guides mentioned there.

Best tip I can give: dont be shy to ask (loads of) questions, here and ingame.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Pashur

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 06:16:20 AM »
Thanks all. I created a Minmatar female char coming from somewhere and then there where lots of options and maybe I am an engineer :)
Since I have no clue what to opt for I will play around with stuff for a while and when I have a char I plan to keep I may be open to your kind donations.
Merry Christmas you all !

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 09:40:59 AM »
* Mangala ducks before Swuul uses that peice of info to prove a point!
;)

Welcome Pashur to the endless space. What suits me in EVE is the pace of the game. Yes, it is beneficial (especially for the corp you are in!) to log on often, but your toon keeps on developing even when off-line. Also, the absolute freedom (or at least the illusion of it) in EVE is absolutely great :) But, it is a b*tch to learn even the basic survival skills (for the player), not to mention all the more nifty stuff in the game  :o