Author Topic: A Wow Thread  (Read 70870 times)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: A Wow Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2009, 03:06:34 PM »
I remember you Cocaman! I've always been Kurtt on Ally side WoW.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »
The whole "Oh, but a lot of people enjoy Arenas so we can't just remove them" thing is fucking hilarious, too. No, a small minority of people enjoyed Arenas when i played - most of the people there faceroll their way to victory in whatever Cleave-gimmick team is strongest this season purely for the rewards. Change the arena rewards to superficial trophy items, and I guarantee that at least three-quarters of Arena players would go back to running instances & raiding. Blizzard really needs to get out of "E-sports".

I had a very strange conversation in a pug once with our decidedly bug-f*ck insane tank in which he was asking me questions about the druid class and what I thought of it.

Now I've levelled two druids to the level cap, in Wrath and in TBC, despite telling myself I wouldn't do so. I've gone back to the druid class many a time. I'm fairly comfortable with the idea that it's my favourite.

I couldn't figure out what this paladin was trying to get at though. Did he want me to say it's an overpowered or underpowered class? Eventually I realised he was talking about PvP and I explained that I hardly ever did it, mostly as filler when I'd run out of things to do in an expansion, and even then only BGs.

I've learned that an awful lot of the screaming, wailing and general insanity and moments of pure Are-You-Even-A-Human-Being-Behind-That-Toon in WoW comes from PvPers. I don't trust them to go somewhere else if the cool arena awards are taken away. I think I'd just see more of them in PvE.

Arenas are a good place to keep the crazy PvPers.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2010, 05:27:30 AM »
Small necro cos I find this funny:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593272588/?tag=gmgamzn-20

A guide written by an apparent Guild Leader in WoW on how to run guilds...  Its pretty lol - although kudos to him for giving it a go and putting the info out there.  Luckily I think most competent guild leaders wont ever use a guide like this - its all intuituve and to a degree common sense.

Personally if I was just starting out in community group leadership stuff in an MMO, i wouldnt touch this book.  Can imagine the types who would though (gods of terror ring any bells Kurtt - or was it gods of war back on Aszune Horde?).
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2010, 05:36:55 AM »

was bananaman in drakan i think he was in hoj before that he was the reason i never heard any strat talks in molten core he was always cracking jokes.

mmmm  reading through the thread for kicks...

Did we do strat talks in MC? Im sure we did, but I mainly remember finding shit to laugh at all night and playing cartoon sound clips over TS.  I know Lyss would give talks but hey an MT's role in MC really was sit on the boss and dont let it run into the squishes. 

How I never comedy wiped us is beyond me, especially when I could tank tabbed out :D

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2010, 06:20:29 AM »
An about face - kinda from Blizz?

Today Blizzard released some stunning new standards for raids in the upcoming Cataclysm expansion. Chief amongst these changes, which every WoW player should be aware of, is the combining of 10- and 25-man loot tables, 10- and 25-man raid lockouts, and the continuation of gated content.

No longer will 25-man raids provide better gear than 10-man raids (although they will drop more of the gear), and no longer will players be able to farm both the 10-man and 25-man version of a raid dungeon each week.

The following are the bullet points of this announcement:

* 10- and 25- man raids in Cataclysm will share the same lockout
    * Normal versus Heroic mode will be chosen on a per-boss basis in Cataclysm raids, the same way it works in Icecrown Citadel
    * 10- and 25- man bosses will be close in difficulty
    * 10- and 25- man bosses will drop the exact same items
    * 25-man bosses will drop a higher quantity of loot, but not quality
    * For the first few raid tiers, our plan is to provide multiple smaller raids. Instead of one raid with eleven bosses, you might have a five-boss raid as well as a six-boss raid.
    * Content will continue to be gated
    * First Cataclysm raids will be tuned for players in dungeons blues and crafted items

Effectively going back a few steps yet keeping certain aspects they added in since TBC etc?  More raidable content in a given tier rather than 1 HUGE raid zone dropping everything, gating bosses (which I actually agreed with them doing when they did it in the past, made content last longer and gave more people a chance to get there and not just Ensidia), making 10's the equal in reward of 25's and so on.

Can say it screws pugs, but fuck pugs (What can I say, years of not pugging in wow spoilt me, I played with the best I could find and didnt need pugs.) and fuck that dungeon system they have over servers - been speaking today at lunch with a couple of wow junkie travellers who were actually looking for a gaming internet cafe.  (lol at them I have eve installed on this rig!), who decided to tell me all the changes in the past few years, like I didnt know from you people here, its them who pointed this out to me, by whining on about it. 

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2010, 07:56:17 AM »

was bananaman in drakan i think he was in hoj before that he was the reason i never heard any strat talks in molten core he was always cracking jokes.

mmmm  reading through the thread for kicks...

Did we do strat talks in MC? Im sure we did, but I mainly remember finding shit to laugh at all night and playing cartoon sound clips over TS.  I know Lyss would give talks but hey an MT's role in MC really was sit on the boss and dont let it run into the squishes. 

How I never comedy wiped us is beyond me, especially when I could tank tabbed out :D

hmm wonder what happened to lyss i think his head exploded trying to give strat talks in ony and nobody was listening he seemed to dissapear shortly after.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
btw jon do you still have a char on aszune called pedesvir as there's one in my friends list ?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2010, 09:48:27 AM »
btw jon do you still have a char on aszune called pedesvir as there's one in my friends list ?

Gave that one to Shallow, who gave it his Bro, who changed its name to Courage (and its sex).

Got a l1 on there with that name. Hey everything has its place and whats Aszune without that name sitting on it, although never logged on it.  Tbh when the old Ped got given away and named changed iirc even friends lists change to show that.

Theres a Pedesvir on SWC that was me - played for a bit a long while back with some guys off Scrapheap, never got too far. But at least someone is there should I ever feel the need for an easy mmo.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08:17 AM »
Small necro cos I find this funny:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593272588/?tag=gmgamzn-20

A guide written by an apparent Guild Leader in WoW on how to run guilds...  Its pretty lol - although kudos to him for giving it a go and putting the info out there.  Luckily I think most competent guild leaders wont ever use a guide like this - its all intuituve and to a degree common sense.

Personally if I was just starting out in community group leadership stuff in an MMO, i wouldnt touch this book.  Can imagine the types who would though (gods of terror ring any bells Kurtt - or was it gods of war back on Aszune Horde?).

Ah, <gods of terror>... When I started playing WoW again recently on Horde side, I learned, to my horror, that a member of <gods of terror> had been frequenting the THF TS server. Turns out he'd raided with us on and off, and that he was 'an ok bloke'. I disagreed, as he droned on like there was no tomorrow and the sound of his voice made me want to perforate my own ear drums.

Allegedly, <gods of terror> is now a pretty decent guild on Aszune. I have yet to see evidence of this though, as it still has the same guild leader.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2010, 10:45:42 AM »
So you do admit then given your closing comment above, that Guild Leader maketh the Guild ;)

Offline Dlarah

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »
The guild leader/management does have a lot to say. Lemmings of the light have been around for 5 years now and still going strong. And i dont think the guild would have been the same if it werent for the work Wilgje and officers put in.
Wilgje made this with some help for the 5-year anniversary if anyones bored and want something to read: http://www.lemmings-of-the-light.net/node/3138   :)

As for the changes to raids i like them. Some fights are actually harder with only 10 people as you got less room for people fucking things up and in those cases it doesnt make much sense to have 25-mans giving better gear...
And large 20 bosses raids are meh. So smaller raids are great methinks as you dont end up having to spend days to get trough unless you overgear the place.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
The guild leader/management does have a lot to say. Lemmings of the light have been around for 5 years now and still going strong. And i dont think the guild would have been the same if it werent for the work Wilgje and officers put in.
Wilgje made this with some help for the 5-year anniversary if anyones bored and want something to read: http://www.lemmings-of-the-light.net/node/3138   :)

As for the changes to raids i like them. Some fights are actually harder with only 10 people as you got less room for people fucking things up and in those cases it doesnt make much sense to have 25-mans giving better gear...
And large 20 bosses raids are meh. So smaller raids are great methinks as you dont end up having to spend days to get trough unless you overgear the place.

Didn't realise you were a lemming Dlarah. You've got a couple of ex-HoJers with you I believe.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2010, 07:44:03 AM »

Didn't realise you were a lemming Dlarah. You've got a couple of ex-HoJers with you I believe.

billi from synch is there for sure and i think a few others joined lemmings cant remember who though.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2010, 07:54:57 AM »
Wilgje made this with some help for the 5-year anniversary if anyones bored and want something to read: http://www.lemmings-of-the-light.net/node/3138   :)

billi from synch is there for sure and i think a few others joined lemmings cant remember who though.

Eriond/Nimithriel I believe...  :-X

Actually, tell a lie, I think 'she' is in Corpse Run, the raid guild Val ran off too :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:56:32 AM by Kurtt »

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »
Val left Sync?

How is Sync doing anyways, you all in a preCata doldrums thing or muddling along doing stuff and not letting the usual preExpansion nonsense get to people?