Author Topic: The State of MMOs  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
The State of MMOs
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
It's been a while since I checked in on the state of gaming, having been smoothly distracted by other made-up stuff, so I found this one interesting.

WoW not WoW

Sounds like it's a make or break year for the MMO industry. If none of those games hits it big, game developers will all be off to make Facebook games. (I must admit, I haven't even looked at Facebook games.)
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: The State of MMOs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 04:26:09 PM »
Nice article.

And yeah, this year is really a make or break one for the MMO industry, although I have said elsewhere that the only thing to kill wow or capture its audience will be whatever Blizz do next. Wows an elephant in the room and only blizz can get it out.  Others - specifically SWTOR (if it doesnt flop) may capture some of its market, but not all.

A large part of the wow market are the first time pcers, the folks for whom wow is their first proper game past flash games on dodgy websites and facebook, and these are not the type to go to something like SWTOR just because of the IP behind it, for them it will have to give them what wow does, but from experience of biowares other products, easy sense of achievement isnt in their lexicon ;) 

Saying that though, if SWTOR - Rift, GW2, even DCUO wont really compete with wow no matter how polished they may be on release etc - manages to capture the hardcore folk from wow (and from some of the boards I use it probably will) with sufficient enough challenging content, then they could lead a charge towards it of the more mainstream folks (who no matter do look up to the world first types while openly bashing them in /g etc). Kinda like happened when Blizz actually hired some of the better EQ players back in 2003ish for the WoW dev team.

Certainly going to be interesting to watch is this year and all these releases.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »
Hmm, that's an interesting point on who the new WoW players are. I haven't really thought about that question in a few years. The initial waves were the players of existing MMOs and people like me who came in on Blizzard's reputation.

I still meet people in-game who started only a few months ago, which kind of astounds me. The younger ones are easy to spot in PuGs, but the more mature new players can't be people with new PCs. I'd be inclined to think they're people coming off other single player or MMO games.

Star Wars is the big question though. It's got the brand recognition, but doesn't have the Blizzard reputation. Maybe it'll follow a similar arc to Star Trek. Anyone pay attention to how that game has done?
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 05:40:05 PM »
Tanked so badly iit doesnt make onto this graph at all:

"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."