Author Topic: The Pirate bay trial in Sweden  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
The Pirate bay trial in Sweden
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:03:03 PM »
Dont know if any of you guys have been watching this one, maybe our Swedish members could provide more info ;)

http://bambuser.com/channel/Spectrial/broadcast/68615   linky to the daily english translations ;)

will be interesting to see how this goes, but already 50% of the charges were dropped as "the prosecution couldnt be sure the pirate bay trackers were the ones being used for download"
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: The Pirate bay trial in Sweden
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 10:42:34 PM »
Im hoping they get off, they only facilitate ways to get shit for free as far as im concerned, they dont cause people to get it for free, they dont do the actual acts that piracy of audio/video needs etc and give the results to us all do they ;)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:03:51 PM »
If they set it up correctly, and are just hosting the trackers, they should get off.
The only thing that constitutes "software piracy" is making the software itself available to others. They shouldn't be doing that, it's their users that are "guilty" ;)
"There is no Planet B." (Seen on a banner at Copenhagen)
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:03:12 PM »
so, apparently, they only have screen shots for evidence

When asked if he had any network equipment logging exactly what was going on ‘behind the scenes’ of any of his sample downloads, he replied that he didn’t. When asked if he verified in any way during the download process that he had any contact with The Pirate Bay’s tracker, again the answer was negative.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:16:28 AM »
yeah from what i gather, the prosecution isnt the most tech savvy of people, hence 50% of charges were dropped on day 1, and it seems that they have no actual proof that the pirate bays trackers were used to download the numbers they are trying to sue for damages for.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:53:18 AM »
If they set it up correctly, and are just hosting the trackers, they should get off.

Isn't that what Napster was, or were they more than just that?
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:02:16 AM »
Napster was software used for p2p connections, it actually let you get the material you wanted from a willing share.  PB just lets people find stuff - they cant help people want to find the latest stuff for free :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 09:08:11 AM »
So they got jailed and a 3£ million fine.

They are refusing to pay but contemplating jail much more :S

All for "aiding copyright infringment"

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »
they still have years of going to appeal before it gets anywhere close to them going to jail apparently.

What gets me is if you search on google you can find the exact same trackers, are google going to be fined and jailed?

they should be scared.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:42:05 AM »
Unexpected to me.
So a forum where links get shared to pirated software is illegal, and their owners can be punished by jailtime as well?
How about file-dump sites like rapidshare?
I surely hope they'll think this through during the appeal(s)....
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »
Swedish Pirate Party membership surges after Pirate Bay verdict

Although I have no idea how seriously to take them.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2009, 05:51:35 PM »
Anyone say "Conflict of Interest" on the part of the Trial Judge?

http://www.thelocal.se/19028/20090423/

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »
Cory Doctorow wrote an article the other day on how this sort of mistake (to put it politely) takes a potentially complicated issue and makes it much simpler.

In this case it goes from being about music pirates vs artists trying to make a living, to big corporation/corrupt judge vs the little guy. The former, people sort of see the case against the pirates. The latter, makes for a better headline.

Longish article, but it's a good discussion of the subject.

Offline Gunnarr

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 05:51:33 PM »
Thread necromancy, and offtopic too! But I found this article on the legal escapades against TPB in the netherlands and it sure is a scoop!

Actually I'm not sure what to believe of this, since it's too stupid to be true - but according to the guys from TPB, Dutch organization BREIN falsified some documents in order to be able to push forward with their trial vs TPB:
http://blog.brokep.com/2009/10/08/fail-in-nl/

If it IS true - well I'm not sure what would happen. I seriously doubt there will be any criminal charges against any of BREIN's employees - not only will it be very hard to determine who actually knew about the documents being fake, I don't think the dutch courts will be too keen on moving against BREIN c.s. In any case BREIN would look ridiculous - and some careers will be sure to get sidetracked....
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 05:53:27 PM by Gunnarr »
Quoted for brilliance.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 11:34:48 AM »
the pick on this one site and leave the other thousands unmolested ??? silly really, they cant kill the internet ;)