Author Topic: The Secret World  (Read 36408 times)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: The Secret World
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
First beta weekend and lifting of NDA this week

All i can say is last huge patch improved everything with this

is the client available yet for the beta weekend ?

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2012, 05:29:16 PM »
not sure. I do know they are sending out keys, Gamespot are giving some away and all preorders get access as well as those playing the facebook game and reaching "secret agent"

so its not an "open" beta and is limited to Kingsmouth first area of the Solomon island zone
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »
yeah the clien dl was halfway down my account page dl'ing now :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
Ok some advice before you play this weekend ;)

The game can be brutal (seems not as much as previous builds but still can be a challenge)

During Investigation missions dont be afraid to use google to solve clues (in fact its required unless you have knowledge of Dutch artists,the bible and Latin, and thats just for the first one you get)

There are also missions that require following trails/tracks, take your time look around and dont run too far ahead or you could get frustrated.

If stuck on a clue reread and think, the answer is there ;)

enjoy :)

p.s. decks are in so use them as a basis for your initial build, makes it easier.

and dont worry about crafting during your weekend unless you are a masochist.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2012, 06:02:47 PM »
also of note

doing missions works like this

mission log is limited

1 story mission (this is the main arc, explaining the secret world and the faction in it )
1 slot for an action mission (red, yellow or green icon)
3 slots for item missions (light blue icon)

Action missions are usually picked up from "real" people
Item missions are stumbled upon/found or in plain view on bits of paper/blood trails/books/RC aeroplanes etc

if you for instance are on a red action mission (which usually involves killing x of y) and you stumble across a person giving an investigation mission (think current icon is a computer) then it will ask if you wish to pause the action mission you were currently on and start the new one. To unpause you have to go back to the original giver and begin again where you left off (i.e. having already killed 3/5 slow moving and dry zombies it remember s im at 3/5 on that mission)

its different and can cause head scratching but its growing on me

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
i.e. In the Secret World, humans have cognitively degraded to only being able to maintain two things in conscience. Tools to remind ourselves of things (pen/paper, computers, etc.) have been lost to society.

What a lame game.
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
Its also not that secret a world with this many people writing about it etc.

Perhaps they can start calling it "The world that used to be completely secret but now is much less so, but still is secret to some" OR TWTUTBCSBNIMLSBSISTS
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:45:02 PM by Bethor »
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »

Perhaps they can start calling it "The world that used to be completely secret but now is much less so, but still is secret to some" OR TWTUTBCSBNIMLSBSISTS

just wait till the NDA drops and the "solution" sites start appearing ruining the actual fun of the game for those that dont/ cant be bothered to think.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2012, 06:13:22 AM »

All my votes are belong to you!
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »
gave it ago tonight lots of issues as expected with hundreds of thousands trying to get on the same server.

so not bothering really with the betas(unless the populus spreads out abit) what i did see of it looks promising setting is something i have always been interested in secret societies and conspiracy.

avatars in the cut scenes mainly look really crap tbh but they are ok ingame(and graphics arnt really the selling point of the game so can be forgiven)

gameplay is a bit slow at the moment but is to be expected as the scene is being set and the story is unfolding so lots of cut scenes.

only got to the templar hq so far so cant comment any further though i do have a shotgun and i know how to use it :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
Game doesnt start until you hit kingsmouth ;)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
tbh im only going to play the game casualy so im glad its not all guns blazing all the time. ;D

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »
ok got to kingsmouth and done a few missions

those zombies move dammed fast when you spray them with bullets ;D

looking at the forums it seems there are a lot of things not put in yet ragnar saying via tweets that there will be alot more customization of characters at char creation which i thought was a bit sparse so thats good. 8)

did i say i was going to play this as a casual  :o

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2012, 08:54:54 AM »
So what was your thoughts of the weekend matey?

personally i like what i see, although as ive fallen out of love with ALL MMOs i wont play.

I also see potential for huge damage to the game from the huge number of abilities and the PVP crowd always needing balance or "that is OP" syndrome ;)
  Though this may be mitigated by the ability to (eventually) be able to learn all skills.

I love the feel and the story.  Investigation missions are a fav, pity there isnt more of them.
Once they sort out the various little nigly bugs it will be  a great game on release for those sick of fantasy. (but will always be a niche game, its just too hard for mainstream internet entitled kiddies)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
yeah thought it was good and i will play but try to keep it casual as i seem to get burnt out pretty quickly nowadays it does seem that it will fit with a more casual playstyle.

but in other news i may give guild wars 2 ago as after box price its basically free i didnt like the first one with the instanced world but with 2 being a persistent open world i think i will like it better.