Author Topic: Free to play  (Read 30708 times)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Free to play
« on: June 04, 2010, 02:32:30 PM »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
Re: Free to play
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 02:37:54 PM »
wouldnt be surprised if 'normal' play will get more expensive through this system
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 02:40:46 PM »
Seems the points and store stuff isnt that necessary to fully enjoy the game (when you were a founder and lifetimer like me, garry, keggi and others :D), which I like. (I scoured the FAQ to find this).

I do feel for those who'll join as neither vip or premium as they get very limited unless they pay...  So yeah Saf, you may have a point.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 02:44:41 PM »
im a founder with lifetime sub and have had my money's worth out of it and it was fun and i think they have realized that they took a wrong turn with it somewhere.

and lost a hell of a lot of the player base it turned into one of those korean grind fests for me.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
oooooooooooooooooo:

I'm an existing Lifetime subscriber to The Lord of the Rings Online. Will I receive any Points for being an existing Lifetime subscription customer?
(Last updated: 04-06-2010 01:26:03)
    Existing Lifetime subscribers to LOTRO will start accruing monthly Points from the 3rd June, 2010 at 500 Points per month.

I have a lifetime subscription to LOTRO. What will Free-to-Play mean for me?
(Last updated: 04-06-2010 01:10:00)
    As a lifetime subscriber to LOTRO, you will keep all of your membership privileges and are automatically upgraded to VIP status. You will receive 500 Free Points every month like the other VIPs, but you do not have to pay a monthly fee since you are a lifetime member. All you have to do is keep playing the game and visit the LOTRO Store to spend your free Points. In addition to qualifying for the same rewards as standard subscribers, Lifetime members may also qualify for a special one-time Loyalty Reward of 1,000 Points. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:54:35 PM by Mangala »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 02:51:41 PM »
im a founder with lifetime sub and have had my money's worth out of it and it was fun and i think they have realized that they took a wrong turn with it somewhere.

and lost a hell of a lot of the player base it turned into one of those korean grind fests for me.

I had more than my moneys worth, and havnt logged in in an age as in my mind the legendary item system sounded good but was implemented shoddily and is indeed a Korean grindfest. Shame as the dungeons are high quality but with 0 need to run them due to drops being not any better than crafted/random drops etc.

Skirmish system though fun for a while is another grind fest.

DDO has improved a LOT since they did this so lets see what it does to LOTRO. Pity they dont have the Drow cash cow that DDO has :)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 02:52:20 PM »
oooooooooooooooooo:

I'm an existing Lifetime subscriber to The Lord of the Rings Online. Will I receive any Points for being an existing Lifetime subscription customer?
(Last updated: 04-06-2010 01:26:03)
    Existing Lifetime subscribers to LOTRO will start accruing monthly Points from the 3rd June, 2010 at 500 Points per month.

yup so in teh Autumn when they do this we will have shedloads of points :)

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 02:53:49 PM »
Just another thought if they do it like DDO doing your deeds will earn some points so you can buy some addons, more bags, remove gold limit etc

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 11:07:10 AM »
Read on another forum that you may have to log in once a month to get the 500 points lifetimers get free.

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 04:02:32 PM »
I took advantage of the current offer to purchase lifetime sub for 110 euros (wish I could have payed that in pounds instead, but... 70 =/= 110 euros :( ). One might ask where the sanity for that is in a game that is going free to play, but I think it will be worth it.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 04:06:23 PM »
I took advantage of the current offer to purchase lifetime sub for 110 euros (wish I could have payed that in pounds instead, but... 70 =/= 110 euros :( ). One might ask where the sanity for that is in a game that is going free to play, but I think it will be worth it.

It will be in the long term, more benefits really.  Accrue points every month - and those points can then be used when future expacs come out, saving you money.

:)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 01:24:20 AM »
Was just online, and chatting in GlobalLFF and there was mention - presumably now that the F2P beta is doing the rounds in the US at least - that Annuminas, helegrod and other older content will be built into a group scaling system - similar to how DDO and the skirmishes in lotro work.

If they pull it off right, then it sounds like it could be a Good Thing.  (Yes Im not complaining about something).

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 06:40:23 AM »
Was just online, and chatting in GlobalLFF and there was mention - presumably now that the F2P beta is doing the rounds in the US at least - that Annuminas, helegrod and other older content will be built into a group scaling system - similar to how DDO and the skirmishes in lotro work.
Would be awesome, I've never got to see those places properly (just sneaking around on my burglar :) ).

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 12:22:17 AM »

Im confused (although thats a given I know). So regular subscribers NOW count as what going forward? as if its Premium then they are fucked on what content packs they get?  And premium folks who join after f2p happens basically get the shaft on content?

As if so then surely they are just going to be better off going lifetime?

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 12:24:45 AM »
Would be awesome, I've never got to see those places properly (just sneaking around on my burglar :) ).

Yeah, its a "I have to return after this" point for me too - at least they arent changing their levels and making things too easier (anymore than already done but thats my broken record), just scaling instead, which is much nicer.