Author Topic: Cataclysm Thread  (Read 46034 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: Cataclysm Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2010, 12:44:50 PM »
Got my Operation Gnomeregan feat of Strength.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
someone from synch told me that in beta the cloak you get at the end of the chain could be used as a cosmetic item.

guess blizz took that out :-X

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2010, 01:13:12 PM »
someone from synch told me that in beta the cloak you get at the end of the chain could be used as a cosmetic item.

Yeah because it replaced your actual cloak, didnt overlay it.

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »

You'd think that Blizz would be able to figure out how to implement cosmetic systems. If Mythic can do it...

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »

You'd think that Blizz would be able to figure out how to implement cosmetic systems. If Mythic can do it...

Mythic, Sony, Turbine, all of those korean mmo folks, all those hacks really ;)

However, there is a popular idea that the art guys are against it, as people would blantantly farm Tier2 as it had the best looks in the game, therefore not showing on their later more gaga-esque creations.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:46:41 PM by Mangala »

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 09, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
Cataclysm Concept Arts and Tier 11, Druid Forms, Blue Posts

It is true that the cloak rewards had overcloak functionality when these events were up on the public test realms some months back. In the end we decided that implementing the cloaks in such a way that players could aesthetically change the cloak they're wearing could set a bad precedent. We like customization and flavor items, but we don't want to start implementing aesthetic items in the game which allow players to look however they want while keeping all the stats they want. We felt the overcloaks were breaking that barrier a little too much.

If I had to guess - and it's a complete guess - then I'd say it's for the same reason they don't like players being able to disguise themselves in PvP scenarios. Not being a PvPer I've never paid it much attention, but I do recall people complaining about opponents appearing while under the influence of Orbs of Illusion or Noggenfogger's Elixir.

How this squares with druid forms I have no idea.

I suppose, broadly speaking, they just want your gear to look like the actual gear you're wearing.
DC Universe Online (EU PC): Psilance, Psion Hero, Noctirian, Sorcerer Villain
Neverwinter: Theron Dios, Control Wizard (Beholder)
Star Trek Online: Eric@TaithZero
SWTOR: Tarkanian, Sith Assassin (Progenitor) (Inactive)

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 09, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »
However, there is a popular idea that the art guys are against it, as people would blantantly farm Tier2 as it had the best looks in the game, therefore not showing on their later more gaga-esque creations.

I must admit, I'm quite partial to the tier 5 and 6 druid and warlock sets.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 09, 2010, 02:33:07 PM »
If I had to guess - and it's a complete guess - then I'd say it's for the same reason they don't like players being able to disguise themselves in PvP scenarios. Not being a PvPer I've never paid it much attention, but I do recall people complaining about opponents appearing while under the influence of Orbs of Illusion or Noggenfogger's Elixir.

I suppose, broadly speaking, they just want your gear to look like the actual gear you're wearing.

In LOTRO the cosmetic system is turned off in the PVP zones, so they could easily do that.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2010, 05:13:42 PM »

In LOTRO the cosmetic system is turned off in the PVP zones, so they could easily do that.

Same for WAR, the opposing realm can't see your cosmetic appearance.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2010, 06:17:54 PM »
tbh why hide them at all - given you can armory people thesedays on your 2nd screen or windowd browser.

Offline Taith

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • Nommer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 10, 2010, 09:09:58 AM »
Got my Operation Gnomeregan feat of Strength.

This was a whole lot of fun. I haven't done the troll one yet, but I'll be making a point of getting it done this weekend.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2010, 09:58:20 AM »
Blizzard on the overcloaks:
Zalazane's Fall / Operation Gnomeregan Overcloaks not implemented on live.
It is true that the cloak rewards had overcloak functionality when these events were up on the public test realms some months back. In the end we decided that implementing the cloaks in such a way that players could aesthetically change the cloak they're wearing could set a bad precedent. We like customization and flavor items, but we don't want to start implementing aesthetic items in the game which allow players to look however they want while keeping all the stats they want. We felt the overcloaks were breaking that barrier a little too much.

Can I ask why not? People have been clamoring for this sort of thing for ages, and many thought that this was the first step to allowing that. Now you're telling us it was a first step that you don't want to take?
We've been tossing around some other ideas with regard to gear customization, but we still want to make sure there are appropriate limitations on a system like this. The limited buff timer on the overcloak just wasn't enough considering it would mask any cloak of any level. We'll continue to explore ideas for fun aesthetic gear customization, but we didn't feel this was the proper introduction of this kind of system.

Some guy:
I'll translate that for you from bluespeak to Activisionspeak: we feel that character customization is something that players really, really want and giving it away free made Kotick rage and destroy a building. We are working hard at figuring out ways to charge you for customizing each armor piece, our money bin is currently full so we have to wait until construction of a new money bin is complete.

Posting as it made me laugh when I saw it on FOH :)

Offline Keggi

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2010, 05:11:43 PM »
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2010, 05:33:11 PM »