Author Topic: nex retail pricing strategy reported by CCP Zinfandel  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
nex retail pricing strategy reported by CCP Zinfandel
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:46:12 AM »
nex retail pricing strategy
reported by CCP Zinfandel | 2011.07.08 10:30:44 | NEW | Comments

As requested in last week's special CSM summit

EVE Online players and the Council of Stellar Management have been asking questions, looking to understand the pricing strategy unfolding in the in-game virtual goods store The Noble Exchange (NeX.) The store opened with relatively few items, which was "by design" so we could take small measured initial steps in virtual goods sales. However there weren't enough items in the store to build a very clear image of pricing strategy. In an effort to help players understand our approach to pricing, we have prepared this dev blog.

In hindsight, we likely should have launched the Noble Exchange separately from Incarna 1.0 to separate launch issues from the store. However sometimes you just have to take that first step to see what happens.

Ideally we would have wanted more goods available in the low-tier price range for sale in the store. For example having one full outfit available in each price tier would have clarified a lot of the misunderstanding that followed the launch. 

What's this about pricing tiers? Yes. We are planning to offer clothing and accessories at an affordable tier, a mid-tier, and a deluxe tier, with occasional exceptional offers of rare goods for a very limited number of customers. And our plan is to fill in these pieces gradually over the summer and fall but we may need to revise that plan due to the apparent gap in price tiers. To understand tiers, it helps to understand outfits and slots.

Wearing Clothing in Slots

From bottom to top order, you can currently wear items in the following slots: Footwear, Bottoms, Tops, Outer, and Eyewear slots. You can only wear one item in each slot.

Our fashion designers are making coordinated outfits. The descriptive text will often tell you which New Eden design house created the piece you are inspecting in the store. There are also some independent pieces not designed for a particular outfit (for example, the current eyewear.)

Click image to enlarge

How do the tiers work?

The items in the Noble Exchange come in several price ranges. Normally, an outfit will all come from one pricing tier. An affordable tier outfit can be purchased and assembled for roughly the value of one PLEX in total - slightly cheaper if you are fortunate enough to time your purchase well.

Mid-tier outfits will be priced such that an outfit will total approximately 3-4 PLEX, depending on individual elements.

Deluxe tier outfits are aimed at flamboyantly rich capsuleers regardless of whether they measure their wealth in ISK, Aurum, PLEX, or currencies from Earth. While price is of little concern for these players, they could find themselves spending two or three times the price of an affordable outfit on a single piece for their ensemble. An exceptional tier is rumored to exist that represents a very special and rare investment for the wealthiest members of the EVE community.

Aurum versus ISK

Remember, these items can and will be available for ISK as long as someone puts them up for sale there. As with the rest of EVE the market is based on supply and demand and selling clothes may become a lucrative way of making some additional ISK. If you are currently wearing an outfit, it is effectively indestructible so put it on before you leave if you're making your purchase at a well-traveled market hub like Jita.

Enjoy your purchases now in the privacy of your own quarters. Then show them off later in public establishments when the doors into the station are opened.

LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Re: nex retail pricing strategy reported by CCP Zinfandel
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:54:38 AM »
Fukken lol.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 12:04:43 PM »
sooooo Rare shit will cost upwards of £40 fukken lols indeed

CCP may as well ask you to bend over and take it unlubricated
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »

1 plex costs me 19.95euro (just looked)
so a med tier set would cost between 60-80 euro's
and to top tier would cost even more!!

and no way 1 pound is 2 euro's its more like between 50 and 70 pounds for you guys on that island

1 British pound = 1.11599776 Euros
1 Euro = 0.896059144 British pounds

former roommate.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »

1 plex costs me 19.95euro (just looked)
so a med tier set would cost between 60-80 euro's
and to top tier would cost even more!!

and no way 1 pound is 2 euro's its more like between 50 and 70 pounds for you guys on that island

1 British pound = 1.11599776 Euros
1 Euro = 0.896059144 British pounds

until Greece defaults again ;) or portugal ;)
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
If Greece defaults again i propose the Netherlands gets an Island from Greece.

We can have a free national lottery. And people win tickets to go to the resort. Its all payed and ran by the Greeks so its all free for us.
That way they dont have to pay back the interest because we would have given that when we would have gone there on vacation. We will be using it to pay for our collective vacation (i actually thought this out a lot more than i posted here)
former roommate.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
former roommate.