Author Topic: Alliance Membership Qualifications post discussion  (Read 672 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Alliance Membership Qualifications post discussion
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »
Basically in the alliance command forum Mksah posted a suggested set of qualifications for new joiner corps, one of which (Rule 4) said that corps need to show steady growth prejoin/trial period and after join.  Hrod and Saf are against it as I am, however I sat down and posted the text below as my reasons why just I was and I just wanted you all to see it and understand why I dont like the rule itself, just in case it does get adopted and leads to issues for us in MAADI.

I support the suggestions you have up there Mkah, except 4. My reasons for that are based purely on how MAADI gains members (or doesnt as the case may be).

Basically MAADI's history isnt one like the majority of corps in EVE, its more like the goons or the dreddits in that its something that stems from an outside community away from EVE rather than a group of like minded pilots deciding to form a corp. Hell it used to be an alt corp for me to store my once very large stable of alts!

The core of our members stem from a time when Hands of Justice (our community) was a regiment in Warhammer AOR, and before that a guild in WoW and a kinship in Lotro. Now its a small collection of people from those games (and a handful of others we have cropped up in from time to time) who stick around and explore new worlds together or just drop by for a chat on our forum.

MAADI became what it is today due to warhammer turning out to be lame, and me and some others pushing EVE enough to get some people from warhammer etc on board. Having a ready made corp with lots of stuff for them to play with appealed. Even more than that is the main ethos in our group is that life comes first and so people come and go as they please to other games or to life stuff itself, but they know they always have a home to return to in eve/lotro etc when the urge takes them.

Given our origins we dont really recruit from inside of EVE (2 exceptions and both have moved on/left the game since), we tend to pull from the small number of people who use our community and from their friends/contacts elsewhere (we have a few devs and art guys from Paradox Interactive onboard for example), so the idea you put forward for point 4 would pretty much see MAADI screwed due to the way we grow (or dont mainly). And a liking for small group stuff amongst the majority of us too.

And I am sure there are other corps out there consisting of small numbers of competent players who dont recruit for whatever reasons that we'd be forced to reject on the grounds they arent blob-tastic or even want to be.

As for an alternative, I dont really have one, I just wanted to get what I feel are MAADI's reasons for being anti-4 out there; However, id happily support 4 if it had a set of exceptions to the rule (similar to MAADIs tale, proven group of buddies with a provable eve history of pvp, industry or whatever they do, etc etc), hell even say only corp in every x amount we allow can meet these exceptions?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline peo

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance Membership Qualifications post discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:26:30 PM »
Same feeling here.
I don't think that any demands placed on new corps should be something the existing ones can't fulfill (duos or chumly is 10 people and not growing either for example)