• HoJ Members
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Re: Civ V
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2010, 04:23:43 AM »
EEEEKKK!!!

look at the time

fecking game making me lose sleep

My lordy ranged units can get very powerful with the extra range and extra attack promotions.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Macrune

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »
started a game 10am yesterday.
used custom settings to make the world huge with only 8 AI's but 20+ city states (can't remember the exact amount).
It's now 7.50am and ive just finished. Wife and kids have just got up. Im now going to crawl up to bed for a few hours.  ???

Hopefully by the time i get up she will have cooled down and won't shout at me any more for having just spent in excess of 24hrs playing a single game  :-[

On a side note... broken back.

A number of years ago i fractured a vertebrae in the lower half of my spine (L3). There was no damage to the  spinal cord so they just fused it to the adjoining vertebrae. I had about a 15% loss of flection as a result (no longer able to touch my toes).
Several weeks ago I fell off a step ladder at work whilst photographing a crime scene (yes less than a 3 foot drop). I landed on my feet but without bent knees and it appears the shock of the sudden drop fractured the adjoining vertebrae L4. Hence ive had another operation and now have several pieces of metal in my back whilst the latest spinal fusion takes effect.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 07:29:23 AM by Macrune »
A married man should forget his mistakes.  There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!
Eagles may soar but weasel's don't get sucked into jet engines!

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2010, 09:51:49 AM »
25hrs of the past 36 have been spent on Civ V...
I'm glad you took some time to socialize at least. But don't forget to sleep!
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2010, 10:05:19 AM »
What did all those hours of civ get you guys.  :P

@Mac:
A CSI in our midst!  >:(
Painful stuff man. At least you have a stack of games that can soothe the pain and (apparently) a bunch of sleep deprived maniacs to play them with.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:07:54 AM by Goatboy »
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2010, 11:07:39 AM »

On a side note... broken back.

A number of years ago i fractured a vertebrae in the lower half of my spine (L3). There was no damage to the  spinal cord so they just fused it to the adjoining vertebrae. I had about a 15% loss of flection as a result (no longer able to touch my toes).
Several weeks ago I fell off a step ladder at work whilst photographing a crime scene (yes less than a 3 foot drop). I landed on my feet but without bent knees and it appears the shock of the sudden drop fractured the adjoining vertebrae L4. Hence ive had another operation and now have several pieces of metal in my back whilst the latest spinal fusion takes effect.  ::)

feel for you matey, my big bro has suffered for years due to similar damage caused by years of jumping on and off tanks.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:27 AM »
ugh mac, hope you're back (harhar) at your feet... err... spine soon again!  :-*
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2010, 12:03:45 PM »
What did all those hours of civ get you guys.  :P

For me, its the whole sheperding of a civilisation from 0 to hero over millenia, and making decisions that can totally affect the world they are in - God games are fun.  Oh and playing England nearly all the time and seeing how different I can make each major city - ie my Oxford is an oil town, my Brighton a fishing port, although my Coventry is still a horrible place where nothing ever happens and noone wants to live.

Oh and for the civ likers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6wlTDPiPU
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2010, 02:38:53 PM »
Haha.

Stringing my war with the ottomans out as long as possible so i can use my Giant Death Robot and Nukes on them :D

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2010, 03:35:55 PM »
Haha.

Stringing my war with the ottomans out as long as possible so i can use my Giant Death Robot and Nukes on them :D

sounds like me keeping war with the greeks going so my archers could get xp ;)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2010, 03:59:41 PM »
All my city state buddies just declared war on the Native Americans when I nuked one of their boats by accident (it was in the blast range of my nuke on an Ottoman city), and now Im busy puppeting their cities. Well I was before realising I need to eat today.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2010, 11:17:56 PM »
For those who are wondering about the secret achievements:

-----

Easy (Probably got it without trying):

It's Super Effective
Destroy an enemy unit in just one hit.

Marco Polo
Be the first to explore and uncover 1000 tiles, across any number of playthroughs.

The Paul Murphy Award for Excellence and Attractiveness
 Read 500 articles in the Civilopedia.

-----
Medium:

War Canoe Attack:
 As askia, conquer a city on another continent.

The Elephant Battle
 Destroy another Civ's unique unit with a Naresuan's Elephant.

Inconceivable!
 Lose a Game to someone not on your friend's list.

Knowledge Is Good
 Hold a Research Pact with another civilization for at least 50 turns

Manifest Destiny
 Completely control and have contiguous borders around your starting continent.

I Have the Power
 Win 20 battles with a single unit.

Hundred Years War
 Be engaged in a single war for 100 or more consecutive turns.

Diplomat
 Hold a Defensive Pact with another civilization for at least 50 turns.

Cat Fight
 As a female leader, defeat all other present female leader in a single game.

Can't We All Just Get Along?
 Play and win a game without ever declaring war on another Civ (does not preclude them from declaring war against you).

All for All Super Brawl
 Have every Civ declare war on you at the same time. 

From Archaemennid to Safavid
 As Darius, start 5 Golden Ages in a single game.

-----

Hard :

Six Degrees to Sid
 Play a multiplayer match with another player who has this achievement (starting with Sid).

Panzer "Shafernator" General
 Spawn over 100 Great Generals, build an army of over 100 standing units, and beat the game 100 times.

Offline Dlarah

• MAADI
  • Cogniscenti
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2010, 09:00:15 AM »
I wasnt really planning to get this game, but i didnt get my FFXIV copy yet, new computer is still on its way, my 3 weeks off just started and i was too vored to even play wow... I did like civ3(wich i got as pirated version from a uncle way back but it seems to have a trojan in it!) So i bought this on steam and downloading it now.   :D

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »
Im in doubt wether to buy it on not. Since steam charges an outrageous 50 euro's for it.

does anyone have any experiance with "your-freedom" is it save to send creditcard info over that ?

because that would mean i could buy it from direct to drive for 37 euro's
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »
Im in doubt wether to buy it on not. Since steam charges an outrageous 50 euro's for it.

does anyone have any experiance with "your-freedom" is it save to send creditcard info over that ?

havent heard of those, but try these folks:

http://www.g2play.net/store/

been recommended alot on shc recently for other people who get shafted on Euro prices.

Offline Bethor

• Friends
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2010, 09:17:56 AM »

havent heard of those, but try these folks:

http://www.g2play.net/store/

been recommended alot on shc recently for other people who get shafted on Euro prices.

Thanks will give that a shot
LORD HELMET:  I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's
former roommate.

LONE STARR:  What's that make us?

LORD HELMET:  Absolutely nothing. Which is what you are
about to become. Prepare to die.