Author Topic: Google Pack? Get lost!  (Read 5597 times)

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
Google Pack? Get lost!
« on: January 07, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »
While alt-tabbing from one eve-account to the other I catch a glimpse of an unknown icon on my desktop. Huh?
Alt-tab to desktop to find a 'Norton Security Scan' shortcut. My first idea is: virus?
Right click: installed 4 hours ago... so couldnt have been my gf and it sure wasnt me.
Seems proper symantec thingy, so no virus prolly, but how did it get there?
Google (oh, the irony) gives a solution. Found on some forum: It seems this program was installed by 'Google Pack' (http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_installer.html). WTH!? Never heard of it, never installed it, never asked it to do stuff, never wanted it.

Sod off!
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
Re: Google Pack? Get lost!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »
they usually sneaks those fecking programs/toolbars/ general shite into other progs (uncheck this box to save yourself pain) just to take the piss.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Malt

• HoJ Members
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 07:33:46 PM »
I get caught out by the installation of Yahoo toolbar nearly everytime I update Java.

It's bloody annoying.

I'm now off to check my desktop for anything symantec.

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 08:20:09 AM »
Hurrah!

After uninstalling this Norton piece of crap yesterday, I opened up my computer today to find... It's back!

Even more googling ( :-X): http://bigreturns.posterous.com/getting-rid-of-norton-security

hope this helps...
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Norton is a very difficult programme to kill, i always kill it on any new PC that friends/family get but sometimes ..... just sometimes... it ressurects just when you think its dead.
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Jarkko

• MAADI
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »
Get C-cleaner. www.ccleaner.com

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 10:01:23 AM »