Author Topic: Isk Earning tips.  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
Isk Earning tips.
« on: December 27, 2008, 05:46:44 PM »
Post them if you got them :)

AM sure any tips will be appreciated, especially for the holy grail of playtime paying for itself :D
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Isk Earning tips.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 06:21:51 PM »
Start simple :)

Mining can make you a lot (as in a LOT) of isk - but it's slow and time-consuming - so it depends on the type of character you have.  It's easy to get into from day 1.
Missioning will make you a lot of money - but it'll take time to get upto a decent level to start with.  Social skills will help with gaining higher standings with agents but don't out-pace your ship skills.  You'll need decent ship and supporting skills for lvl 3/4 agents.

Generally:
Collect all loot and salvage - don't sell it.  Reprocess your loot when you have a decent amount (100+ modules) into mins. 
With the salvage - better to make rigs and sell them rather than sell the parts.  The corp has the BP's (Blue Prints) and there's plenty around who you can ask about manufacturing.
Not only do the rigs sell better - they're smaller than the components - so you'll make more per jump/cargo.  If you research the rigs that sell well - you can make 200-300m from making 10 rigs.
A great by-product of running missions and ratting.

Sell them for 5% less than market if you need the isk.

With mins it's better to sell them to the corp - the price is fair and you won't have to worry about transporting.  Mineral prices vary a lot between systems - so to make the best profit you'll need to haul.  You can use the forums to find mining contracts for other corps - and sometimes they'll pick them up.  You can also use a hauling service but you'll have to pay them per jump which will cut into your profit margins.

Look at what ships you'll be flying in 4 weeks and look at the BP's the corp has - you can build your own ship and it'll cost you nothing if you save up the mins.  It'll save you 100m on a battleship.
You can also buy BP copies (BPC) (watch the blueprint game channel or look at contracts) fairly cheaply - and making things is a great way to make slow-steady ISK. 

A BPC for a battlecruiser that will make 5 ships will cost a couple of million - and you can sell them for around 30m.  A neat way to make 150m - and the mineral requirements for making them aren't huge and the demand is constant.

Longer term think about using the BP system to your advantage - once you own a BP you can research it, make and sell copies.  Again - slow steady income over time for little effort.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:37:29 PM by Rubino »

Wii Console: 8123-9969-5753-1865

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 06:36:49 PM »
In 0.0 you have 5 options to make ISK:

1) Ratting (NPC's)
You can get officer spawns in the belts that drop named/rare items which will sell for a ton either in empire or in 0.0.
Salvaging the wrecks will produce parts to make rigs - and rigs are always in demand.

2) Mining
All ore types (and the rare ore types) can be found and in decent system the rocks are as big as planets (more or less ;) ).  Mins in 0.0 tend to sell very well.
You have a problem of shipping if you want to sell them in empire.  The usual approach is to mine and process into mins.  Then using BP's you make modules from the mins.  You then ship the modules back to empire and reprocess them into mins again.  With good skills you don't lose much.  The main benefit is through compression - the module takes up far less space than the mins themselves.  You'll need to research which modules would be optimal to make.

3) Manufacturing/shipping
With a little research you can determine which items are most needed and make them on-site (station or POS) or ship them in to sell.  You'll need a POS, researched BP's, mins to make this work.
There's a demand for most of the larger ships - you'll need to research the races of players about - but Ravens, Domi's, Megas all sell well - as do most of the BC's.
The really larger ships (carriers+) sell very well in 0.0.
You can make a lot from secondary items - ammo, missiles, drones, fighters. 

If you're thinking about 0.0 - but the BP's and start researching them early.  The better the Material Efficiency (ME) or Production Efficiency (PE) the better the profit margin.

4) Moon mining/drugs
This is more complex and generally requires a few POS's and a lot of research about which moons/reactions you need.  If people are interested I'll writeup more based on a few setups I had in 0.0 a couple of years ago.
For this to work it's less about skills and more about research and logistics.  Running POS's & reactions takes time and effort.

5) Exploration
This can be a real money-maker.  Not only from the bounties - but from the abundance of exploration sites with invention drops.
You'll need decent ship setups along with decent skills for the harder complexes - but they can be very fun.

The Real ISK is made with investment of time and ISK by setting up a station in some friendly and well controlled space.  Here you can receive a % of market transactions, office rents and a % of refining, which in the right system will net more mins than you'll know what to do with.  This requires a lot of investment - more in terms of time and energy with the alliance - then actual ISK.  Logistically it can be difficult - again more in terms of getting enough cover while the station is built than the material requirements.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:49:35 PM by Rubino »

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 10:32:38 AM »
1) Ratting (NPC's)
You can get officer spawns in the belts that drop named/rare items which will sell for a ton either in empire or in 0.0.
Salvaging the wrecks will produce parts to make rigs - and rigs are always in demand.

About 30M ISK per hour for a decent ratting session. HACs or Battleships with fighters (carrier sent fighters) are the quickest way to do this.
It's a grind though - the rat variation is poor and the return is less than L4 missions.

2) Mining
All ore types (and the rare ore types) can be found and in decent system the rocks are as big as planets (more or less ;) ).  Mins in 0.0 tend to sell very well.
You have a problem of shipping if you want to sell them in empire.  The usual approach is to mine and process into mins.  Then using BP's you make modules from the mins.  You then ship the modules back to empire and reprocess them into mins again.  With good skills you don't lose much.  The main benefit is through compression - the module takes up far less space than the mins themselves.  You'll need to research which modules would be optimal to make.

For Arkonor, grismar gives an ISK/m3 of 537.10. A full cycle of a strip miner I takes 3 minutes and delivers ~1030m3. Therefore a full 3 minute cycle of 3 strip miners delivers about 3.1k m3. This is 1.66M ISK per 3 minutes or 34M ISK per hour if all you ever did was mine. Of course, there's some level of efficiency lost in the process (arguably as much as 30%, so about 25M/hr for arkonor. This makes it roughly on par with nullsecratting.

3) Manufacturing/shipping
With a little research you can determine which items are most needed and make them on-site (station or POS) or ship them in to sell.  You'll need a POS, researched BP's, mins to make this work.
There's a demand for most of the larger ships - you'll need to research the races of players about - but Ravens, Domi's, Megas all sell well - as do most of the BC's.
The really larger ships (carriers+) sell very well in 0.0.
You can make a lot from secondary items - ammo, missiles, drones, fighters. 

If you're thinking about 0.0 - but the BP's and start researching them early.  The better the Material Efficiency (ME) or Production Efficiency (PE) the better the profit margin.

There are good profit margins to be made here, but be careful - if you're in a large alliance, or looking to provide a service to your space holding allies, then you simply *cannot* run the markups that make it worth the risk; otherwise you're screwing your allies.  The price you put on the market needs to be pretty near the Jita price to be both seen as doing the right thing, as well as making a profit - this does require a lot of PE and ME research on the BPOs.

4) Moon mining/drugs
This is more complex and generally requires a few POS's and a lot of research about which moons/reactions you need.  If people are interested I'll writeup more based on a few setups I had in 0.0 a couple of years ago.
For this to work it's less about skills and more about research and logistics.  Running POS's & reactions takes time and effort.

This is a lot of work, but dyspr and neo moons make a lot of money. We should definitely try to get some.

5) Exploration
This can be a real money-maker.  Not only from the bounties - but from the abundance of exploration sites with invention drops.
You'll need decent ship setups along with decent skills for the harder complexes - but they can be very fun.

I disagree, from a time/isk investment perspective, the expectation per hour of ratting (which is boring) is higher than exploring. That said,you don't get the big strikes ratting that you do when exploring - so it might well be more fun :-) Consider this the difference between playing the slots and playing poker. You'll stastically make more money playing poker, but you just might luck out on the slots. I'm a poker player.

The Real ISK is made with investment of time and ISK by setting up a station in some friendly and well controlled space.  Here you can receive a % of market transactions, office rents and a % of refining, which in the right system will net more mins than you'll know what to do with.  This requires a lot of investment - more in terms of time and energy with the alliance - then actual ISK.  Logistically it can be difficult - again more in terms of getting enough cover while the station is built than the material requirements.

Building outposts isn't cheap, but it's definitely the money maker. Offering to fully tower then run a station system is definitely a big thing, and a good thing to be involved with.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:57:23 PM by vacuum »

Offline Warcold

• MAADI
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 11:03:04 AM »
7.5km3
you made my jaw drop there...

lets add a space and it looks a bit more realistic
7.5k m3

;D
'Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb, we are bound to others. Past and present. And by each crime, and every kindness, we birth our future.'

'We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.
The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.'

http://warthunder.com/en/registration?r=userinvite_3240166

Offline vacuum

• Friends
  • Cogniscenti
  • half man, half biscuit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 10:56:54 PM »
For Arkonor, grismar gives an ISK/m3 of 537.10. A full cycle of a strip miner I takes 3 minutes and delivers ~2500m3. Therefore a full 3 minute cycle of 3 strip miners delivers about 7.5k m3. This is 4.02M ISK per 3 minutes or 80M ISK per hour if all you ever did was mine. Of course, there's some level of efficiency lost in the process (arguably as much as 30%, so about 56M/hr for arkonor.

I checked this today as I was doing some Ark mining, and in fact it's not quite as good as that ::)

I'm going to replace the text above with:

For Arkonor, grismar gives an ISK/m3 of 537.10. A full cycle of a strip miner I takes 3 minutes and delivers ~1030m3. Therefore a full 3 minute cycle of 3 strip miners delivers about 3.1k m3. This is 1.66M ISK per 3 minutes or 34M ISK per hour if all you ever did was mine. Of course, there's some level of efficiency lost in the process (arguably as much as 30%, so about 25M/hr for arkonor. This makes it roughly on par with nullsecratting.

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »
Stumbled over a handy guide for those looking to play with markets: http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=869217

Offline Rubino

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 11:38:23 AM »
The EvE Wiki has some guides for those looking to work the markets that contain some decent info and a good explanation of terms & skills: http://wiki.eveonline.com/wiki/Trading_(Profession)