Author Topic: Merged Guild Name  (Read 13451 times)

Offline Kurtt

• HoJ Members
  • The Illuminati
    • View Profile
Merged Guild Name
« on: March 14, 2012, 04:14:30 PM »
Post your suggestions for the new merged guilds name in here. Mine are:

Antarian Rangers
Farstar
The Farstar Alliance

Farstar was mentioned in TJA last night, and everyone seemed to think it would be an awesome name, as quite a few of us played on that server in SWG.

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
Re: Merged Guild Name
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »
Ortolan Orthodontists ftw!

Ehm yeah... Farstar sounds good.
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline hadron

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 05:12:11 PM »
'Farstar' works for me and has some history. It was the SWG server I played on most and http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/FarStar
'The Descendants' would also get my vote, maybe dropping the 'The'

I think i would vote against anything that tried to honour existing guild names or amalgamated them, this is a new guild and we all know where we came from. This is about building a new group not losing our old identity :)

http://swthelastalliance.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=438385&TabID=3744731&TopicID=10065368&ForumID=2114024#forumEnd

I'm trying to cross post to TLA/CoT but we need, regardless of new guild IMO, a joint web site. I think the new guild needs sorting out tonight and some actions to put a temporary leadership in place pending elections once we have a new web site taken care of.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:20:54 PM by hadron »

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
Btw can we somehow check if they're available and/or claim the favourites on alts as long as we're discussing the new name?
Daikini of the House Goat, the First of His Name, The Unmilked, Queen of the Meadow, The Chickens and the Pigs, Queen of the Field, Nibbler of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Wub, Lady Regent of the Seven Barns, Breaker of Fences and Mother of Ducklings.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • League of Extraordinary Gentleman
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 05:44:21 PM »
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THATS HOLY AND RIGHT DONT USE A "FREE" HOSTING SERVICE. They always use shitty software and have too much crap built into them that you dont need...

And yes Im talking about all those services like guildlaunch and guildomatic and guildportal and so on.

Personally if it comes down to it, i'll shell the few quid a new group needs and get a webname + hosting sorted.  Its only a few pounds.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline hadron

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »
guild registrar needs a party of 4 to register a guild name, obviously unguilded people :)

the web site, well, I think we should try to avoid it being an emotive issue, TLA use guildportal as do CoT, it is horrible beyond belief but it does the job. Most people do not bother with guild forums and such, but it can be useful, especially in a game with no guild support beyond a chat room.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:05:56 PM by hadron »

Offline Goatboy

• Friends
  • The Pantheon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
Hola! Merged Guild Name. Es no merged guild hosting!

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »
True, but ever considered that the free hosts are that bad aesthetically - as well as horrible to use in general - people WONT use them? ;)

Having a place that is easy on the eye and user friendly for those folks away from game for a duration or at work and such helps your community grow stronger (not necessarily get bigger - as the perennial circle jerk here shows) and allows things to be communicated much better, especially when the ingame tools you have at your disposal are none existent as this time. 

(Again Ive been doing this 7 years for games with hoj, 1 year with my eve group, ive mod fan forums for eve and a bunch of other stuff. If there's is something I am good at it is this and knowing how to get folks using things like this.)

All personal preference I know, but will say one thing, pick the name fast and then if you DONT want a domain and forums NEVER tell me the name otherwise i'll do it anyway.

Offline Caradir

• HoJ Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
ID vote Farstar it sounds good isnt a mouthful  and just liek others i played there a long time ago.....

Id defo vote for not using free guild hosting sites, we should be able to quickly cobble a far superior platform at minimum cost.

Jon has indeed been breaking stuff for 7 years ;) but we havent had a complete loss of data for a good few, hes learned :D
"Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create money, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again. However, take away from them the power to create money and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in. But, if you wish to remain the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create money." Josiah Stamp (Governor Bank of England 1928-41)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »
Aye, 4 years for this current iteration.

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »
Coruscant All Stars

Not the Guild you're looking for

Who needs Jedi

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »
PS comedy options obviously ^

Offline hadron

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 06:11:04 PM »
Oh dont get me wrong, I agree with you :), throwing up a workable solution on some cheap as chips (not free) hosting is not much work at all but it is some work and it needs someone to handle it. The beauty of the 'guild portal' things is that you are only managing your guild, not the web site, server, software, etc. I do this crap all day long so the last thing I would want is to be doing it in my free time too.

Being perfectly honest, Im posting more here because this site is clean, simple and easy to use, guildportal based stuff just hurts my eyes and knowing how easy it is to do it right just makes it even more painful.

Anyway, ONE solution needs to be found quickly and admin access granted to a few of the actives (not me :) ) such that everyone interested in this venture can get registered and voice an opinion in the open - NO CLOSED OFFICER DISCUSSIONS

I think if we can all agree to merge and settle on a name a site can be up and running quickly. personally I would like to see this by the weekend, I see nothing that suggests that cant be done.

Im already convinced Jon is the man for this job :)

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • WTF did I do??
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 06:12:56 PM »
guild registrar needs a party 940 to register a guild name, obviously unguilded people :)

the web site, well, I think we should try to avoid it being an emotive issue, TLA use guildportal as do CoT, it is horrible beyond belief but it does the job. Most people do not bother with guild forums and such, but it can be useful, especially in a game with no guild support beyond a chat room.

I can unguild an alt if anyone needs a hand btw.

Offline hadron

• Friends
  • Lurkers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
btw, if 3 other like minded fools want to join me at some point we can register farstar with the guild guy, maybe we should hold off until our respective current leaders have acted though